PDA

View Full Version : Web cam......personal

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Does anyone have experience with Web Cams?

I have a friend of mine that wants to set one up on his property up north.

What's involved?

atlfootr
07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Does anyone have experience with Web Cams?
I have a friend of mine that wants to set one up on his property up north.

What's involved?It's a riot, when folks say, "I have a friend" or " a friend of mine" blah blah blah :D
Maybe he does, but it's still pretty funny.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 09:40 AM
It's a riot, when folks say, "I have a friend" or " a friend of mine" blah blah blah :D
Maybe he does, but it's still pretty funny.
I think that too when someone else writes it......But when I do, I mean it...:rolleyes:

wiltok
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I have three of them - what capabilities is he looking for? Remote access, motion recording, timer recording, zoom pan tilt? Does he have high speed internet or dial up? Is there a PC onsite?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
He doesn't have high speed yet, he is working on that.
The PC will be on site shortly.
I don't think "controls" are necessary. And he is leaning towards setting it outside. However as I understand it, there is a significant price difference, so maybe one could be set inside a window facing out?

And I don't think any "recording" is necessary. Just live viewing (if possible)

Roonie's
07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I would be interested in the same thing. I want one at my cabin too, mainly to check conditions but also to record in case of trouble.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I would be interested in the same thing. I want one at my cabin too, mainly to check conditions but also to record in case of trouble.
From the looks of your wbesite, you already have some?:confused:

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a Speedo cam. It's like greased lightning :D

(Sorry I am too disgusting and dimented not seize every opportunity to be digusting and dimented)

TX.X-30 fan
07-11-2007, 11:11 AM

(Sorry I am too disgusting and dimented not seize every opportunity to be digusting and dimented)

Does it have a telephoto lens on it? :D :D

Can you say spell check? 8p

92 190 PS
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
We have this one at our place at the river. Can be ordered through Walmart and takes about 10 minutes to set up. The remote makes this one the right one if your looking for an inexpensive solution.

Ours is set up in the window facing out and the clarity is perfect.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5155409

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
We have this one at our place at the river. Can be ordered through Walmart and takes about 10 minutes to set up. The remote makes this one the right one if your looking for an inexpensive solution.

Ours is set up in the window facing out and the clarity is perfect.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5155409

Interesting......Thanks.

wiltok
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
OK - there are a lot of options out there.

1) High speed internet is a must
2) Many cameras (the more expensive models) have their own web server - no PC is required
3) I like going wireless - that way you can move it around and use it different place (obvouisly this requires a wireless network)
4) Indoor/outdoor models give you much more flexibility (for the reasons above)
5) I prefer panasonic webcams (like the one the other poster linked to), but the higher end models can be wireless, outdoor and best of all you can put in an SD memory card and record any motion. The saved pictures can be reviewed remotely - so you can review the any activity that occured while you were not there.
6) The panasonic cams are super reliable - I have never had them go down in 3 years. I would recommend hooking up a batter backup (mine is for 30 minutes) so brief power outages don't affect your router/modem/camera).
7) Never place these cameras (or any security camera) directly into the sun or bright glare off the water. It will burn out the 'lens'.

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Does it have a telephoto lens on it? :D

Can you say spell check? 8p

Whoops, got me there...... :rolleyes: :o

wiltok
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I just took this picture a few minutes ago - I am sitting about 100 miles away from my residence. This camera is awesome - it pans and tilts and zooms up to 42X.

wiltok
07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
This one is from the rear - keeping an eye on the garage. As you can, they are working on the house. This camera is outdoor and pans and tilts but doesn't zoom (actually it zooms digitally but it doesn't work very well).

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
OK - there are a lot of options out there.

1) High speed internet is a must
2) Many cameras (the more expensive models) have their own web server - no PC is required
3) I like going wireless - that way you can move it around and use it different place (obvouisly this requires a wireless network)
4) Indoor/outdoor models give you much more flexibility (for the reasons above)
5) I prefer panasonic webcams (like the one the other poster linked to), but the higher end models can be wireless, outdoor and best of all you can put in an SD memory card and record any motion. The saved pictures can be reviewed remotely - so you can review the any activity that occured while you were not there.
6) The panasonic cams are super reliable - I have never had them go down in 3 years. I would recommend hooking up a batter backup (mine is for 30 minutes) so brief power outages don't affect your router/modem/camera).
7) Never place these cameras (or any security camera) directly into the sun or bright glare off the water. It will burn out the 'lens'.

I have a similar set up to what Wiltok describes but it is our security system here at work. I have a magazine with many varying levels of systems from the 99 dollar special to the PTZ with zoom that goes into the thousands... I'll see if I can find it for you.

Aside from that.... your just gonna put this in garage you can lay in bed and stare at your toys aren't you? admit it....:D

Roonie's
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
From the looks of your wbesite, you already have some?:confused:

Not my website but a place that is close to our cabin. I use it mainly for checking weather.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Cool Staristar, very cool. I can dig that. Must be made by the same company that make my leather pants cam that Ric is so fond of. :cool:

Roonie's
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info wiltok..... I will definately be looking into one of these in the very near future.