PDA

View Full Version : In memory...

kingu
07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
I know that I'm not exactly a "fixture" around here...lurking for almost a year and only started posting recently...but in a wierd sort of way I consider you all my 2nd "dysfunctional":o family. Sorry if that sounds over the top. I just wanted to share something that happened with me recently with you and make a few comments.

I got a call at the lake house Thursday morning at about 6:15. My cousin, and one of my best buds', house caught fire at 2:30 that morning. His wife and 3 daughters made it out of the house ok, but Steve didn't. I buried him yesterday.

He was the kind of guy everyone wanted to be like and associate themselves with. He never had an ill word to say about his wife or children. He had an infectious personality and was a natural leader. He was quick to smile and if you ever got a hug from him, he wouldn't let go until you did...it could last for hours.

He died because he didn't know that his wife and girls had already made it outside (I'm sorry if this is too much information, but I have to say it) they could hear him screaming for them from outside. He died as he lived, as a model husband and father trying to take care of his family at ANY cost. I have never known such an honorable and noble soul as Steve Ogle.

Remember guys, life is a fragile thing. Don't ever miss the opportunity to give your wife and kids a kiss and tell them you love them or to tell a close friend what they mean to you. You never know when it may be your last chance.

Thanks for listening.

tex
07-11-2007, 12:58 AM
King-Sorry for your loss. About the 3rd time I've had tears from this site this week. Steve sounds like the guy we all strive to be like! I wish that I would have gotten a chance to meet him. That sounds shallow from someone so far away but we can all be better from the people we meet! God bless you and his family from my family!

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry to hear of this but glad you decided to post it here. We have faced some very serious challenges as of late. I guess it makes us stronger but lately it has been very hard to take. Typically the thing to do is post pics of the family and Steve. Unfortunately we will never be able to know Steve. Post some pics and interests and enjoy what you can. This site is all about getting to know all. Especially those whom we are not fortunate enough to have known. Take care an sorry for our loss. Stop lurking and enlighten us all.

Leroy
07-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for sharing Kingu and that is tough to lose a relative and close friend.

My prayers are with you and Steve's family, that is a hard loss, I'm joining Tex after reading this also.

MIMC
07-11-2007, 01:04 AM
King -

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin and best bud. I too have a cousin, also my best friend, can't imagine life with out him - he is the one who "made" me buy my first boat when we lived together in MI. My prayers go out to you and his family!

Lee

kingu
07-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I just heard about Jim's son...another tragic loss. I can't imagine what these guys are going through. As many tears as I've shed these last few days it must pale in comparison to losing a child.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll try to post some pics later.

Jim@BAWS
07-11-2007, 01:38 AM
KINGU,

I have only been TROLLING on the site this week and only posting info about my son. I too have asked everyone to give there loved ones a hug and a KISS along with I LOVE YOU. I just put to bed what was less than one week ago was my middle son. He has to wear ALOT bigger set of shoes now. My deepest sypathies go out to you. I know it hurts...boy do I ever.

An older lady who I barely know stopped me yesterday on my street about 6 PM and asked me if I was mad. I was so taken back. How could someone I barely know ask me this? Then she asked, do you think that God only takes the bad ones? I sat back after yelling at God all day Friday....Why my son? Why? Why? Why? What did he do? She finished by telling me that God needs the good ones too.

I hope this adds a little comfort...it did for me.

Jim@BAWS

SaltwaterMC
07-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks for sharing Jim and kingu.

peason
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Kingu - I am sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for reminding us how blessed we are to have the friends and family God gave us.

I know we have several fire fighters and they have more than once reminded all of us to check our smoke alarms - so who ever is reading this post please change all of the batteries in your smoke alarms if you have not done so already this year.

chudson
07-11-2007, 09:37 AM
King I think I read in a condolence to Jim on his son that the sadness will turn to happy memories after a while, don't know what else to say just so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great man! Cec

atlfootr
07-11-2007, 09:46 AM
:( Sorry for both of your losses from the heart.
Life is fragile and short, only GOD knows how many hair's are numbered upon our head and soon one day you'll be w/ them again in GOD's kingdom.

So until then ....

Carpe diem, soon we'll be w/ those who left before us.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2007, 09:59 AM
King, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. That is a terrible tragedy. Wow, this place has been laden with hard times lately. I dont take things for granted very often, and I ALWAYS remember to give my mom and dad a hug and tell them I love them whenever I see them. Life is too short to forget those things or be too embarrassed to hug a family member or friend and tell them you love them. Stories like King's and Jim's are very real and we need to stop and remember what is important in our lives and make time for it.

RexDog1
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
King

Sorry for your loss… My payers to you, and your family….

I can’t remember the last time I have cried this much at my desk, in the past week?
And tell my kids “I love them” ……. I can’t put in to words how much the past week
Has changed me, and how I look at my family and friends

“Go hug your children, call you kids, call your loved ones and tell them that you love them”

James Kranendonk 07-08-2007

east tx skier
07-11-2007, 12:09 PM
King, I tried to respond to this last night, but had internet troubles. I'm extremely sorry for your losing a friend. You, your friend, and his family are in my family's thoughts and prayers.

kingu
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone! Especially Jim who took time to write a personal note in his time of loss. Everyone has been so wonderful...it's unbelievable. I keep saying "It's times like these that renew your faith in man, but shake your faith in god."

If you guys don't mind I'm going to share some pics of Steve and his beautiful family.

TMCNo1
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family.

jbfootin
07-11-2007, 01:55 PM
KingU and Jim ...Don't know what to say but you are in my thoughts and prayers.

tex
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Especially Jim who took time to write a personal note in his time of loss. Everyone has been so wonderful...it's unbelievable. I keep saying "It's times like these that renew your faith in man, but shake your faith in god."

If you guys don't mind I'm going to share some pics of Steve and his beautiful family.

Great pics and great smiles! Thanks for sharing the pics. Somehow my problems seem so very small!

betsy&david Harrison
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Such tragedy has struck the Master Craft families lately. I hope peace will come in the form of love and memories for you all.

Monte
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Our prayers are with you and your family...

Tourney Team 197
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
It is hard to believe how truly fragile life is. Kingu, your story was very compelling. I am deeply saddened for you and your family. I hope Steve will be remembered as a hero by his little girls. God bless.

Bruce
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Kingu - I am sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for reminding us how blessed we are to have the friends and family God gave us.

I know we have several fire fighters and they have more than once reminded all of us to check our smoke alarms - so who ever is reading this post please change all of the batteries in your smoke alarms if you have not done so already this year.
I'm glad you mentioned this. Smoke detectors and fresh batteries are crucial. Likewise so are fire drills at home. One thing we teach is get out and have a meeting place outside where everyone can be accounted for. It sounds so simple but it is so important. I've been on enough structure fires to see this work . While I'm at it don't forget to stay low under the smoke. Also get on on wall and feel your way around. Don't get off that wall . Sooner or later you will come to a door or a window etc. This keeps you from going in circles or wandering aimlessly. Hope this is read in the spirit it is intended i.e to use this tragedy as a way to save lives in the future.We need more to be reminded than informed. Steve did what a good father and husband has to do. He is a hero because sadly not all would lay it on the line. King I will pray not only for Steve"s family but for you and yours as you grieve this loss. Of course my prayers For Jim and his family for the loss of Thomas continue.

Doug G
07-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Part of honoring Steve can be to learn from him and his family. He made the ultimate sacrifice, he laid his life down for his family.

Honor Steve, establish your meeting place, practice your escape plan, change your smoke detector batteries, do this regularly. When tragedy strikes, you will not think, you will react based on your practice or lack thereof. I am sure Steve will be remembered as a hero as he should be. I am equally sure his family would trade that for an anonymous survivor.

Thank you both Kingu and Jim for reminding me to not take for granted what I have been blessed with. You are all in my prayers.

Roonie's
07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
sorry to hear this what a tragic loss. Their family will be in our family prayers. Life can be so fragile.

quincyfirefighter
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm glad you mentioned this. Smoke detectors and fresh batteries are crucial. Likewise so are fire drills at home. One thing we teach is get out and have a meeting place outside where everyone can be accounted for. It sounds so simple but it is so important. I've been on enough structure fires to see this work . While I'm at it don't forget to stay low under the smoke. Also get on on wall and feel your way around. Don't get off that wall . Sooner or later you will come to a door or a window etc. This keeps you from going in circles or wandering aimlessly. Hope this is read in the spirit it is intended i.e to use this tragedy as a way to save lives in the future.We need more to be reminded than informed. Steve did what a good father and husband has to do. He is a hero because sadly not all would lay it on the line. King I will pray not only for Steve"s family but for you and yours as you grieve this loss. Of course my prayers For Jim and his family for the loss of Thomas continue.
Could not have said it better Bruce. My prayers are with you Kingu and steve's family. Just remember that steve is looking down on you all and smiling. Rest is peace steve

Doug G
07-12-2007, 01:02 AM
KINGU,

I have only been TROLLING on the site this week and only posting info about my son. I too have asked everyone to give there loved ones a hug and a KISS along with I LOVE YOU. I just put to bed what was less than one week ago was my middle son. He has to wear ALOT bigger set of shoes now. My deepest sypathies go out to you. I know it hurts...boy do I ever.

An older lady who I barely know stopped me yesterday on my street about 6 PM and asked me if I was mad. I was so taken back. How could someone I barely know ask me this? Then she asked, do you think that God only takes the bad ones? I sat back after yelling at God all day Friday....Why my son? Why? Why? Why? What did he do? She finished by telling me that God needs the good ones too.

I hope this adds a little comfort...it did for me.

Jim@BAWS

I cannot help but think that God sends his angels in ways we don't always recognize. I share your prayer for your son and also pray for your family. It appears your son has touched many and even in this tragedy he continues to touch us through you.

fintek9
07-12-2007, 02:08 AM
King, give my blessing to the family, and you all just stay strong!!
and remember memories are just that, something you can fall back on and smile. they'll be there always...

BriEOD
07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Kingu,

My apologies for the belated response. Please accept my condolences for your loss. I agree, he sounds like an honorable man and a caring husband/father. What a tragedy.