PDA

View Full Version : Which lake for Houseboating

WTRSK1R
07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Ok, so I think I may have convinced my wife that we need to rent a houseboat in KY, or TN, but I need to get more input. Which lake would you rent on? My wife is really concerned about the water quality (clarity) and what else there is to do besides ski. I told her that if I get a set in every morning, and one in after dinner we can look at other acitvities during the day. :D
Also, if you could include your suggestions on where to rent that would be appreciated.

2RLAKE
07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
cumberland has all the houseboats. Norris only has about 18 across the entire lake and most get rented early, plus someone (TVA) pulled the plug on the lake and it's dropping 6" a day

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Coming from WI you may also want to consider Dale Hollow. I have never been but hear nothing but good things.

We used to frequent Cumberland and absolutely loved it, but the marina shifted some seasonal rates around so we started looking. We go to Norris now and love it too, but nothing beats the cove we had on Cumberland. Not sure what Coves are still around with Cumberland down this year tho.

As for other things to do, not sure much will be convenient w/o a drive from either Norris or Cumberland. Mostly water/marina stuff to do is all I can think of. I'm probably wrong tho because all we do is wakeboard, then head back to the houseboat for drinks, food, and floating.

sand2snow22
07-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Lake Shasta!!

WTRSK1R
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Where is Lake Shasta? We will definately have a car with us if we need to drive for other activities since we will be trailering the boat down.

I should have added this will be for summer 2008 since we already have a cabin rented for this later this summer in Northern Wisconsin.

Jerseydave
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Lake of the Ozarks would be closer to you also, I believe.

Leroy
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Dale Hollow would be choice above any of those.

OhioX14
07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
We've been going to Cumberland and Norris for years. I wanted to go to Dale Hollow this year as I've always heard good things but I got overruled so we're headed back to Norris in a couple of weeks.

If you want to put in your sets and then do something else for the day you may want to abandon the houseboat and simply stay in a lakefront home or condo. This gives you the ability to lock up and take off without worry of leaving the houseboat unattended.

We have good friends who just came back from Cumberland and with the lake level down 40' they report that the water is not as clean as usual (which has not been as clean as Norris and Dale Hollow in recent years anyway) so it may not fit that criteria. There is also not much to do near Cumberland.

Dearfield Resort at Norris may work well for you as it offers golf, tennis, pool, restaurant, etc. although it is on a busier section of the lake. If you get out early in the morning you can find great water nearby, and a 5 - 10 minute boat ride after dinner will get you to smooth water as well. While there are other houseboat options on the lake Sequoyah, Powell Valley, and Springs Dock all offer houseboats on the north side of the lake.

All three are great lakes so good luck with your planning.

sand2snow22
07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Where is Lake Shasta?

California :D

jpattigr
07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Well you guys need to open your minds and come up to Canada!! The Shuswap lake in BC has awesome houseboating and most of the boats you see at Shasta and Powell come from here!!
Check out www.twinanchors.com or www.waterwayhouseboats.com for a look

sizzler
07-11-2007, 03:47 AM
looks fantastic......

softailcowboy
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
shasta is in no. ca below oregon border. xlnt

bfinley
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Just curious, where are you going in Northern Wisconsin?

WTRSK1R
07-11-2007, 10:05 AM
We have rented a cabin in Minocqua for the last 5 or 6 years every August. We are looking at changing things up a bit. I have heard people talk about Dale Hollow in the past, but had not thought about it prior to it coming up again here. Part of the reason I want to do the houseboat thing is to be different from having a cabin on a lake. I really think we would enjoy the whole trip, but I also need to keep everyone happy or it will not be any fun for anyone. We joke about the saying, "If mama aint happy, no body is happy" but it really goes for everyone.

jeff shelton
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Dale Hollow is great from what I hear. There isn't alot of boat traffic on the lake either.The prices are cheaper than Center Hill.The last 2 years we have rented a house on Tim's Ford which is between Nashville and Chattanooga on I-24.The house has 4 level's and a glass front facing the water.It has 5 bedrooms but will sleep 20 people easy with all the couches and futons.It also has a dock with 2 slips one with a lift for tournament ski boats.It cost $2900 for a week but with big group it's not very expensive.