PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Barefoot'n ???

jerryjeff
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Something of interest for you barefooting junkies.... Being from the aviation side of life, and having a fondness for boats I really got a kick out of this. Enjoy...

http://www.barefootcentral.com/videos/prettyflyhr.wmv

Barefoot57
07-10-2007, 04:07 PM
My rave - I look up to Keith and truley believe he is the leader in the sport of barefooting. Keith is an amazingly talented skier, as is evident on the posted video, and does a great job promoting and pushing the sport.

Now, to my rant. I was associated with a number of floatplane/barefoot stunts in the past 10 years. I will start out by saying, although it looks easy, it is not and is EXTREMELY dangerous! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that airplanes were not invented to tow skiers, let alone a barefooter. During preparation of the stunts I was associated with, there was intense prework with the FAA and insurance loops to an amazing extent. So much so, that these stunts were pushed off more than once, took some incredible hours of hard work to get approved - and not only approved, but gone through and thought out until all safety precautions could be assessed and addressed. In these stunts, we also used actual floatplanes (Piper Cub, and Maul) for a few reasons. 1) Resembled more of the "skiing" experience with being all on the water, 2) Association of float pilot with skiing, and 3)The best safety factor in case of emergency. Another not rocket scientist fact is that airplanes without floats do not land well on water. The ultralight in the video is not on floats. What happens if there are problems while pulling KSO? Where does the plane land? What you can also see in the KSO video is the amazing amount of pull and stress he is putting on the small ultralight as he bailing off the waverunner, doing tricks, and more so when he lets go. The ultralight is bouncing around quite a bit and certainley the pilot is fighting the airplane heavily. (I'm sure the pilot was questioning his decision to do this little stunt during flight!) Using a 40 hp (?) non-float ultralight is not the right, or safe way, to do this stunt.

The barefooting by aircraft has been repeated now by Paul Stokes (floatplane), Lane Bowers, and Richard Gray (Helicopter) and KSO behind this floatplane.

I often look at posts on websites and cringe because there is always "that guy" who critisizes everything. I am not trying to do that. In fact I enjoy seeing people push the limits, but I also want to caution people that stunts like this are amusing, but definatley not safe. I don't envision much safety talk was bouncing around before initiating this stunt, as well as with most of the repetes of this. Not to mention I doubt that correct papers were filed with the FAA and insurance was taken out to do this.

I'm glad everything worked out in this case, but before you go ask your flying friend to pull you skiing, think twice. This isn't a stunt that should be repeated.

Barefoot57
07-10-2007, 04:07 PM
My rave - I look up to Keith and truley believe he is the leader in the sport of barefooting. Keith is an amazingly talented skier, as is evident on the posted video, and does a great job promoting and pushing the sport.

Now, to my rant. I was associated with a number of floatplane/barefoot stunts in the past 10 years. I will start out by saying, although it looks easy, it is not and is EXTREMELY dangerous! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that airplanes were not invented to tow skiers, let alone a barefooter. During preparation of the stunts I was associated with, there was intense prework with the FAA and insurance loops to an amazing extent. So much so, that these stunts were pushed off more than once, took some incredible hours of hard work to get approved - and not only approved, but gone through and thought out until all safety precautions could be assessed and addressed. In these stunts, we also used actual floatplanes (Piper Cub, and Maul) for a few reasons. 1) Resembled more of the "skiing" experience with being all on the water, 2) Association of float pilot with skiing, and 3)The best safety factor in case of emergency. Another not rocket scientist fact is that airplanes without floats do not land well on water. The ultralight in the video is not on floats. What happens if there are problems while pulling KSO? Where does the plane land? What you can also see in the KSO video is the amazing amount of pull and stress he is putting on the small ultralight as he bailing off the waverunner, doing tricks, and more so when he lets go. The ultralight is bouncing around quite a bit and certainley the pilot is fighting the airplane heavily. (I'm sure the pilot was questioning his decision to do this little stunt during flight!) Using a 40 hp (?) non-float ultralight is not the right, or safe way, to do this stunt.

The barefooting by aircraft has been repeated now by Paul Stokes (floatplane), Lane Bowers, and Richard Gray (Helicopter) and KSO behind this floatplane.

I often look at posts on websites and cringe because there is always "that guy" who critisizes everything. I am not trying to do that. In fact I enjoy seeing people push the limits, but I also want to caution people that stunts like this are amusing, but definatley not safe. I don't envision much safety talk was bouncing around before initiating this stunt, as well as with most of the repetes of this. Not to mention I doubt that correct papers were filed with the FAA and insurance was taken out to do this.

I'm glad everything worked out in this case, but before you go ask your flying friend to pull you skiing, think twice. This isn't a stunt that should be repeated.