PDA

View Full Version : Plugged Oil Drain Hose

yippikaiyay
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Has anyone had a problem with an oil drain hose being plugged? When attempting to drain the (hot) oil, with the hose thru the drain hole and cap removed, (and the oil filler cap off as well) no oil.....I ended up pumping it out through the dipstick.

The line didn't seem kinked from what I could tell, is this common?

kentro
07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Im no mechanic, but could you run a straightened wire coat hanger up the hose?

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Blow compressed air into the line to see if it will clear it.

kentro
07-10-2007, 10:17 AM
TMCN01's idea is better, unless it blows oil everywhere...

Prostar Rich
07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Have you used the quick oil change hose before? The reason I ask the first time I tried to use mine the oil didn't want to come out. What I found was the hose was looped over another cable and even though the hose was not kinked the hose didn't have a straight path. I rerouted the oil hose so the hose had a straight shot and all is well.

Prostar Rich

JimN
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
yippi- if you have a brake bleeder pump, try attaching it to the hose and apply some suction. The obstruction should come out. If not, try pressurizing the hose (not with a compressor) and see if that works. Worst case, remove the hose and plug the oil pan so you can find the blockage.

dsoby
07-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Jim,
What are your toughts on pumping through the oil dip stick tube?

nuckinfutz
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I know when I initially tried to drain through the oil drain it took all night to empty the pan. Second time I changed the oil I bought the small pump that attaches to a cordless drill. I found with the garden hose (that came in the package) fit snug enough over the hose from the oil pan. This freed up what ever was slowing down the flow.

This is the pump I used,

http://telcon-solutions.com/Boat/pump.jpg

bigmac
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim,
What are your toughts on pumping through the oil dip stick tube?

There have been a few post here, and on at least one other tow-boat forum I've seen, where the posters tried that and got the tubing stuck somewhere in the oil pan. The solutions have run from successfully getting it unstuck by running a wire down the tube, to having to pull the oil pan (THAT is a big deal).

The oil drain hose is at the lowest point of the oil pan. Putting a vacuum pump on it makes so much sense I don't understand why people would go down the dipstick.

JimN
07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
The dipstick tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pan. If you use a suction pump and a tube that fits in the dipstick tube, it may be too small to be effective but it will work. The hose on the plug hole is at the lowest point of the pan and gets the garbage at the botom better than any other way I have seen.

yippikaiyay
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll give it a go with the pump, I'd much rather get it flowing from the drain hose then having to use the dip stick.