PDA

View Full Version : "my boat runs on gas not thanks"

cbryan70
07-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Anyone know where i can buy this tshirt?

Leroy
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Any shirt shop can make it for you.

Anyone know where i can buy this tshirt?

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 07:46 AM
I thought i remeber seeing it in one of the overtons catalogs. Not sure though

Datdude
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I was saying that all weekend, yet none of my friends caught on.:mad:

Come to think of it, I didn't even get a "thanks" from some of them:mad:

oh well.....it was still a good weekend on the lake:cool:

Sodar
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
My personal opinion is that the whole concept of that shirt is ridiculous. If you invite your friends out, why would you expect for them to pay???? It would be like inviting people over for dinner and making them pay for the food. I never expect to be paid, if it happens that someone offers, I appreciate it, but never expect it.

If friends did not go out with you, then who would you enjoy the lake with? Who would observe for you? If they did not come, you would be paying for gas yourself, right?

I think that if you use your friends as a means to diminish the OWNER'S cost of owning a boat, than maybe you should re-analyze your financial situation and see if boat ownership is financially feasible!! :D

skeeler
07-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Rainbow Fins had it for years. Not sure it is still available.

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I was saying that all weekend, yet none of my friends caught on.:mad:

Come to think of it, I didn't even get a "thanks" from some of them:mad:

oh well.....it was still a good weekend on the lake:cool:

What kind of friends were these you speak of?
If they were someone you invited out on the boat for the day, that you trust and enjoy that's one thing and it's your cost to bear.
But if they are someone who shows up, regularly, unannounced, uninvited with, drunk friends, screaming snotty nosed children and a 60 lb. dog with diarrhea, no snacks, no beer/drinks, no gas money, nothing, just looking for a free time, that's another thing. Why do they need a boat, they have yours if you let it slide. :twocents:

point1234
07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
The other day I took my sister and my two nieces out on my boat. Ages 8 and 5. I blew up the tube and pulled them around the lake about three times. They had a great time, and so did I. They did not give me any gas money but what I got was the best thing ever.

My youngest niece came over to me and gave me a big hug. They also helped wipe down the boat. But the one thing that I could not convince them to do was to get the weeds off of the trailer.

But I also feel your pain about people not pitching in for gas. The guys that ride regularly with me are really good about throwing down for gas money.

tex
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
We have a family that comes down to my cousin's lake house. It's a divorced mother, a beautiful you daughter and a PITA(not anti fur group)15 year old son. I end up with them in my boat all the time. Never a thanks or offer of money. Right before we went out I overheard them planning on beating people to my boat. They got in w/o helping to load and then jumped out when they figured out that I was not going to put my boom on. They don't ride in my boat anymore. I too usually operate on the theory that I invited you, I pay. It makes my wife mad. I usually only accept $$$ at ski practice or from people who ski with me all the time!

Danimal
07-10-2007, 11:05 AM
If someone asks if I can take them on a couple runs I would appreciate the offer of help with gas. If I invite them, I wouldn't dream of asking for gas money. If they offer, excellent!

skeeler
07-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I know one thing we started last Summer is, everyone that rides with us has there own 5 gallon gas can with there name on it. They can come out and ride with us anytime they want to, just bring the gas can full. :D
Now I realize putting gas in the boat is just a fact of life when owning a boat, but when you are riding three to four times a week with 2-4 people a time riding. Thats more than my boat payment every week! :D

BrianM
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
My personal opinion is that the whole concept of that shirt is ridiculous. If you invite your friends out, why would you expect for them to pay???? It would be like inviting people over for dinner and making them pay for the food. I never expect to be paid, if it happens that someone offers, I appreciate it, but never expect it.

If friends did not go out with you, then who would you enjoy the lake with? Who would observe for you? If they did not come, you would be paying for gas yourself, right?

I think that if you use your friends as a means to diminish the OWNER'S cost of owning a boat, than maybe you should re-analyze your financial situation and see if boat ownership is financially feasible!! :D
Well said. If I invite you I don't ask, expect or even take $$ if offered. My regular group we just rotate boats. All of that being said if I ride with someone besides my regular ski group I always offer gas money.

east tx skier
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I usually only accept $$$ at ski practice or from people who ski with me all the time!

The people who regularly either trade sets with us and who also own a boat, never fail to offer gas money. If it's become a regular thing skiing together, or it's been a while since we used their boat, I'll accept gas money when it's offered.

I think owning a boat is the biggest reminder to offer up gas money when you're not using your boat. I wasn't nearly as conscious of it before I was a boat owner.

If they're your friends and going out on your boat is a regular thing, then just pull up to the gas station, turn around and say, "everyone cough up some gas money." But if this is a once or twice a summer thing where you invited them out, I'd vote for treating them to a good time.

Now that I've blah blah blah'd about that.

http://www.waterskiersconnection.com.au/images/CL-WSC-Boat-Tee.jpg

Hope shipping from Austrailia isn't too steep. ;)

Link to site (http://www.waterskiersconnection.com.au/index.php?cPath=5)

bigmac
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM

I think that if you use your friends as a means to diminish the OWNER'S cost of owning a boat, than maybe you should re-analyze your financial situation and see if boat ownership is financially feasible!! :DI completely agree with Sodar here.

I'd be totally embarrassed to wear such a shirt, and I have no doubt that my friends would find it offensive.

:twocents:

tex
07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Did I mention that the chick that I was speaking about earlier has a very negative attitude and looks like an 8 year old boy in a 2 piece. Not that I've seen any 8 year old boys in 2 pieces.

Yellow X9
07-10-2007, 11:54 AM

+ 2 couldn't agree more with u. Peeps I take to the lake pitch in with beer , food and gas

Harvey
07-10-2007, 12:18 PM

If I make dinner, which I often do, the guests usually bring the wine or a dish of somekind to go with dinner or desert. If they just come and eat the food then I probably won't invite them back. If I invite people out on the boat I don't ask for compensation I just hope they see the sticker on the back of my boat. (Lower Left on the Transom, click picture for a larger view)
http://www.theharveystudio.com/gallery/d/68-2/DSC_0503.JPG
I would never expect someone I invite out as a guest to pay but they abuse me, my finance, or the boat and they will not get a second invite.

endl
07-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Did I mention that the chick that I was speaking about earlier has a very negative attitude and looks like an 8 year old boy in a 2 piece. Not that I've seen any 8 year old boys in 2 pieces.
Get her one of those shirts that say "boat *****" on it......hand it to her when she gets on next time maybe she will get the idea.

tex
07-10-2007, 12:53 PM
My cousin has stopped inviting her and I think she finally go the messege. She has stopped trying to invite herself.

Gozar
07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
My rule of thumb is this:

I NEVER ask, expect or accept gas money when I invite people out on my boat which is all the time.

If someone asks me to take them boarding then I will accept gas money from them.

Datdude
07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
+ 2 couldn't agree more with u. Peeps I take to the lake pitch in with beer , food and gas

The peeps I take to the lake are good friends. I am the only one that owns a boat so rotating boats will not work here. They are always invited to come along and they make the weekend more enjoyable than hanging out alone. I have never once asked for a nickel from any of them, but have jokingly said that my boat does run on gas, not thanks. I agree that inviting them makes it my resposibility to provide for them.....but a "thanks" or some beer would be really nice. I don't think that is too much to ask.....especially the "Thanks" part. Maybe I am wrong?

jkski
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I take the same approach as most of you, in that I do not ask for gas money and when offerred, I often refuse, as this is a cost of ownership and fun to me. I can't really say that I have ever had anyone on my boats over the years that did not at the very least say thanks, so I guess I should consider myself very fortunate.
In Ohio, our public lakes require an observer and the penalty for not having one is around $86 (not that I have ever experienced this). So, with that thought in mind, we commonly refer to our public lake third as the "$86 man/woman". In essence they are paying their way, otherwise, uncle sam gets it when you get nabbed.

Vegas X-Star
07-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a bumper sticker on my boat that says, "***, Cash or Gas...nobody rides for free". I think it got the hint across. Between my truck and boat I spend $150 a weekend on gas...not to mention the healthy boat payment every month.

Jerseydave
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
The crew that comes with me are great. Some own boats themselves, some do not but we all chip in $20 per person for 2 sets (wakeboarding). Some boat owners end up getting the same $20 back the next time.

I just pulled some total strangers last weekend at wakefest. They all chipped in for gas, which made me feel uncomfortable since it was wakefest and all. So I told them I'm donating all of the days' money to charity (Autism Speaks).

I would not want to be "the guy" who wears that shirt, just not my style. If people make it a routine of never offering gas money over and over again, why would you still want to take them?

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I have never asked for gas money on day trips. With that said, we have taken several long weekends and have split expenses like house rental, food and boat gas. I think that is reasonable since we spend 8 hrs for 3 days skiing everyone, tubing all the kids. If we had a lake house and I invited you up I would not expect or take money. The difference in my mind is that it is strictly a boat outing over 4 days with our boat as the only boat.

Is there something I'm missing here. I personally would never sit there while my buddy skies my whole family for 3 days and gets gas 3 times at $100 a pop without pulling out some cash, as has happened before?

cbryan70
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Well the regulars i take out always offer gas money. Or most of the time at least which is fine with me. The thing that got me was this past weekend i was talking to my sister about going boating and her two friends just invited themselfs on the boat. 6 people on my 78 is kinda crammed to say the least.

dmayer84
07-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Well the regulars i take out always offer gas money. Or most of the time at least which is fine with me. The thing that got me was this past weekend i was talking to my sister about going boating and her two friends just invited themselfs on the boat. 6 people on my 78 is kinda crammed to say the least.

I am guessing they weren't eye candy

cbryan70
07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
More of ballast. Lets just say my boat had a great time plaining off when they were in the back seat.

beatle78
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
My friends often offer gas money. Sometimes they force me to take it..... other times I just tell them to bring a tank of gas sometime and it will all even out.

Or I tell them they can ride anytime they want all I ask is that when I need a second set of hands doing something around the house they make themselves available.....

it all works out.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Wasn't this thread about a "T-SHIRT"....:confused:

After reading all of this, I now know T-shirt phrases are apparently being taken way too seriously...:(

Edit: I am going to have one made that says there is no I in Team, but there is a ME..:rolleyes:

lav
07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

I agree and I always need someone to drive

SkiDog
07-10-2007, 09:56 PM
skidog
MC Devotee Join Date: Jun 2005
Photos: 9

Boat Whores!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this page on another ski site today. This says it all!!!!!!!! I'm sure we've all had this problem at least once in our skiing days.

13 Simple Rules to not Piss off a Boat Owner!

1. Always offer money. $5 is nice, but $10-15 is more realistic. This does not simply cover the gas of the boat, it covers maintenance, insurance, trailer tags, boat storage, registration, and gas for the truck to get the boat to the Lake.

2. Always offer to clean the boat. Cleaning usually means wiping down the boat at the end of the day, but if you are a regular you should volunteer to do more. On the days when it is blown out come over and help wax, or clean the interior. Maybe show up one day with some cleaner because that stuff is expensive to.

3. Never invite someone else to come along without first talking to the boat owner.

4. Ask how many people are going to ride that day, if it is over 4 find an alternate ride. Having 7-10 people in the boat isgreat for the wake, but it sucks for riding. There is nothing worse then being a boat owner and towing 10 people.

5. Never go first unless you are told by the owner to go. The owner gets to choose whether or not he wants the first glass. More often then not he will defer to someone else.

6. Never let the owner go last. He has to have his fun too.

7. Always volunteer to drive..

8. Watch what you bring in the boat. Doritos and Cheetos taste great, but having them rubbed in the carpet is not. Also, finding a Dorito 2 weeks later that is hidden by something is not pleasant.

9. Always take off your shoes when getting in the boat, even if the owner does not. It is his investment to treat the way that he wants, not yours. Try to not step on the seats, sometimes you can not help it but try.

10. Bring something to drink (not necessarily beer). Water and Cokes and stuff, but only cans. Never bring glass.

11. If you can only be there for 30 minutes, and then you have to leave, do not bother coming. There are very few things worse then having to stop and take someone back to the dock. Also, it kills the riding time.

12. Do not do your parade run over and over again. Never do a trick more then 3 times, seeing a trick over and over drives people in the boat bonkers.

13. Do not ride for more then 15 minutes. Everybody else in the boat has to ride too, but if the owner wants to ride for 40 minutes let him. It is his boat and he can.

JohnE
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I agree with Sodar. I just met a guy here on the forum and have got togehter with him twice. And plan to 1 -2 times a week. He offered gas money, I declined. I'm happy to get out there. I want to get out as much as possible, and without others, it's just not possible. He does bring some beverages, as do I. It's all about fun. The cost of gas doesn't matter to me. But with that said, if he we got together every week and he never even offered, it might bother me. I must be shallow!:D

Doug G
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I take a hybrid approach. If you wakeboard $10 . If you don't, free ride. Theory is doesn't cost me any different if you don't wakeboard but when the ballast fills up and we start going in circles with 8+ ppl in the boat it racks up quick. This only applies to regulars and I have had no complaints. Invited guests are usually friends that I wouldn't take money from anyway so It doesn't bother me if they don't offer.

I also have it good because my brother and his daughter are with almost every weekend and he fills it every other weekend and he helps take care of it to.

stevenm2
07-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I AM SHALLOW! I get the wifes family all the time, thanks, little gas,no help with loading, unloading,or cleaning. During the off season we don't see them much. kinda weird. I don't know how to handle it sometimes.

THERE I'm Done They will be back next w/e I'm sure but at least I feel better now.
Thanks for listening guys

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Wasn't this thread started by asking where to get a T-shirt? :confused:

tex
07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Wasn't this thread started by asking where to get a T-shirt? :confused:
That's whats great about this place!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM
That's whats great about this place!
True. There are no shortages of OPINIONS....;)

Sodar
07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
True. There are no shortages of OPINIONS....;)

You Smell Funny

You Don't Read Good

You cannot type

Rod Sucks

RedStar is an arsehole

W4T has ugly sunglasses

I do not see any opinions here.... what are you talking about??? :confused:

:D :D

cbryan70
07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree working. I boat mostly with two guys who own there own boats so they know the deal. The shirt would be more for a laugh then anything

tex
07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Sodar-here's my opinion-hush up and show more of those pics that support USC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Grover
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM

AMEN, If it's offered OK, if it's not OK. The time at the lake is about fun not counting chips.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
W4T has ugly sunglasses

You best not be makin' fun of my OTT....:D

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree working. I boat mostly with two guys who own there own boats so they know the deal. The shirt would be more for a laugh then anything
Thats what I thought. A T-shirt is a T-shirt. Not to be taken literally in some cases. If your friends saw the shirt and got offended, I guess they may not have the same sense of humor. in this case, a window decal would be more appropriate....;)

beatle78
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
ummm.... if anyone gets offended riding in my boat, they are encouraged to go find another boat to ride in :)

RexDog1
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Wow I missed this thread altogether ……..:rolleyes:

I say “Cash, Grass, or a$$ No One Rides For Free” :D
Well that is what was on my van back in 1978….LOL:D

Sodar is right!!! I don’t expect someone "I invite" to pay for anything

bigmac
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm sure situations vary, but the only people who ever ride in my boat are friends or extended family...people I wouldn't want to offend by wearing a T-shirt that suggests that they're moochers if they don't offer to pay for the ride. But my situation is different than a lot of people's...the boat's in a lift out on the lake at my house. Nobody rides in it without an invitation, and I'd never expect an invited guest to pay me any more than I'd expect them to reimburse me if I invited them to my home for a dinner party.

tex
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Invite to your house for dinner, I'm bringing a nice red!

bkblaida
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Several weeks ago, ours and 3 other families vacationed together. 2 of us have boats. Each family ponied up $100 for gas. When that was gone, we reloaded the envelope with $50 from each family. Any $$ left over went to the 2 boat owners. This arrangement was done upfront, we all felt it was a fair deal, and there was no wondering about who was paying for the gas. I do not mind pulling others I just hate being the bank!

sully
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
We have never asked for cash, it's just fun have friends and family with.
Hopefully we are all having fun and making memories.
That's better than cash.

slink976
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
I ride with the same 2 cats every Sunday, I do ask for gas money. Not much typically we each chip in 10$ a piece for the day. off the lake at 1ish typically. I pay for all the extra's like additional fat sac's new handles and ropes. I don't think it's too much to ask for a few bones every week, if you think about it, thats like 2 beers at a bar. That reminds me they have picked up the 18 pack the last few weeks, I'm gonna treat them this week.

bigmac
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Invite to your house for dinner, I'm bringing a nice red!
You're welcome anytime, with or without the red.

slink976
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
You're welcome anytime, with or without the red.

Wait a min, He might be bringing a nice red head. You just can't tell with him!

poorman with a prostar
07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I will not take cash, but will gladly take a can of gas. It's common courtesy between ski buddies, rotate boats or bring gas. When we houseboat all gas comes out of group kitty, land and sea.

justindacey
07-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I had this sticker made for my boat because everyone always wants to come ride behind it but no one would ever bring gas. Everyone got the point.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I pay for all the gas on my boat. I am just so thankful to get other people out skiing that I am happy to pay for the gas. Not easy to get boat drivers & skiers here. Everyone has their own lives with schedules and obligations that its difficult to get people to go. so I dont expect them to pay for gas. I am just happy & thankful to get out there so I can ski. am I wrong?

ski_king
07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I usually don't ask for or accept gas money.

That being said my aunt showed up with her 3 grandsons and asked if I could take them out. We went out for about 4 hours and had a blast. When they were about to leave she offered gas money, I told her it was not nesseary and thanked her any way. Later I find out she gave it to my wife behind my back. A whole whooping $5. I guess she dosnt realize the cost of gas these days and how much a boat uses.

bigmac
07-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I had this sticker made for my boat because everyone always wants to come ride behind it but no one would ever bring gas. Everyone got the point.

Here (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5356&hl=) is another option...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/gbotech/decal3.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/gbotech/decal1.jpg

JohnE
07-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I pay for all the gas on my boat. I am just so thankful to get other people out skiing that I am happy to pay for the gas. Not easy to get boat drivers & skiers here. Everyone has their own lives with schedules and obligations that its difficult to get people to go. so I dont expect them to pay for gas. I am just happy & thankful to get out there so I can ski. am I wrong?

I feel the same way. I hooked up with 2 new ski buddies thanks to this forum. I'm happy to pay for the gas. I've ski'd with one a few times and the other just once so far, but both have offered gas money.

But it all depends on the circumstances. If I were going out 3-4 times a week with the same guys every time, I'd probably be inclined to want to split the gas money.

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Just bring the beer, all kinds of beer! The boat loves Colt 93!

JohnE
07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Just bring the beer, all kinds of beer! The boat loves Colt 93!

Never turned down an offer for beer!

Maristar210
07-19-2007, 10:06 PM
If you invited them you cannot expect gas money.... JMO

If they say hey can I ride? they need to cough up a twenty.

I would rather they bring a nice dish to pass or some beverages as a gesture of thanks.

Laura brought Chicken fold overs and all the fixings for after we were done on the dock when she was invited. She has graduated to BACK UP status with Steve.

She's so sweet and considerate. She chopped green onions because she knew I loved them stuffed in my mexican grub...

Footin
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't ask for it, but when someone offers I usually don't turn it down.

Leroy
07-19-2007, 11:45 PM
This gets into the total annual cost of owning a boat which is around $2-$3K per year, storage, tags, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. Every little bit helps, but I don't worry about gas.....beer is another matter!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2007, 10:12 AM
He's wearing a Michigan shirt......

Here (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5356&hl=) is another option...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/gbotech/decal1.jpg

Jkelly
07-20-2007, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Maristar210]If you invited them you cannot expect gas money.... JMO

If they say hey can I ride? they need to cough up a twenty.

I would rather they bring a nice dish to pass or some beverages as a gesture of thanks.

I agree, IF I invite you I do not want gas money, but If you would like to bring snack for while we are on the lake that would be nice.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
This gets into the total annual cost of owning a boat which is around $2-$3K per year, storage, tags, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. Every little bit helps, but I don't worry about gas.....beer is another matter!Is this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Written on a T-Shirt? It should be.

gew
07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I never ask for gas money. I do ask if they can hand me another beer.