PDA

View Full Version : Timing Vs Starting...?

kah68
07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Just pondering...My boat will start with a pump of fuel with the neutral lockout pulled. It runs really good but seems to need that shot of fuel to start, even when warm. If the timing to too far advanced, would this cause hard starting? I have timed the motor by ear so I may have it a bit too far advanced, does this make any sense?

Kirk

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Just pondering...My boat will start with a pump of fuel with the neutral lockout pulled. It runs really good but seems to need that shot of fuel to start, even when warm. If the timing to too far advanced, would this cause hard starting? I have timed the motor by ear so I may have it a bit too far advanced, does this make any sense?

Kirk

Go ahead and put a timing light on it to get it right to start with to eliminate that as part of your starting problem. If you don't have one, borrow one or you can rent one from Advance Auto Parts and other stores nationwide.

LakePirate
07-10-2007, 12:32 AM
That 351 Windsor is a cold hearted thing.

You still running points? I don't remember if you have changed them out or not. If still on points, make the conversion, it will eliminate the need for a shot after warm. But on a cold start...you are pumping.

JimN
07-10-2007, 12:52 AM
I really don't recommend timing by ear. Too much advance will make it crank in the too-often heard rrr,,,rrr,,,,rrr,,,rrr with a definite pause between rotations. Cranking against the compression is really hard on a starter, obviously.

kah68
07-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Hey LP, no I'm not running points, I'm running a D.U.I. ignition.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
I will locate a timing light and set it up, I think D.U.I. recomends 10-12 deg. BTDC.

wesgardner
07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm DUI my timing is advanced slightly...mine starts INSTANTLY, just touch the key and off it goes.

I pump once when cold (it's a carbed thing)...once warm, it pops right off...different motor tho...

etduc
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Kirk

The old fashion, by ear, way. Retard timing, to get it to start. Advance timing, till engine begins to ping. Then back off, a smidgin'.

10-12 degrees (Ford), yes. Actually, run it closer to 10. (As long, as it runs smooth.) Engine will run better on lower quality fuel. (Who really knows,the quality of gas, your buying.) You will not tell, the difference in horse power.

Just notice your, signature. After watching the movie "RV" (Robin Williams) My daughter christen, our 1990 TRISTAR. The "Floating T**d"

JimN
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
First, if the advance weights and springs aren't in good condition, the base timing will have little to do with total advance. If the springs are broken or weak, you may need 25º at 2500RPM but you may have more. If you have the same problem, the excessive total advance at WOT can be a problem. If the weights are stuck, it'll be a dog.

Low octane gas may run well on a low compression engine but in a high compression motor in hot/dry air running hard, it's a problem. Old gas is even worse.

6º-10º is typically the recommended advance and I would check the springs/weights on a boat of this age. Also, look at the timing mark with a timing light to see how stable it runs. Wild variations usually indicate worn distributor shaft bushings or timing chain/gears.