PDA

View Full Version : Need Sugestions: Water splashing between teak and boat

Lennyp04
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
We got our X-1 this weekend and are experiencing water coming in between the boat and the teak. It is getting the vinals wet and then leaving puddles on the cover and is more of an annoyance then anything. We need something thin enough to fit inbtwn the boat and the teak. Also the teak moves up and down with the waves and looks to be hitting the boat. Any Suggestions....please let me know!!

Thanks

JKTX21
07-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I see that your boat is a 2007! Water is splashing up on the rear deck while the boat is sitting I'm guessing? There is supposed to be some gap to allow the teak to move, but it shouldn't touch the boat.

I'd suggest speaking with your dealer if it continues to be a bothersome problem.

Lennyp04
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Yep the boat is an 07. The water is splashing up while sitting but not while were moving. Its more of an annoyance then anything. And im not sure weather it hits the boat or not. It looks like it gets close in the one corner but thats the only place that gets close. I tried taking some (pipe insulation??) that stuff thats round and you put it around pipes. That worked for a while before it worked its self loose.

peason
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Does the platform have a transom saver? It's an extra teak board on the top of the platfoarm that keeps skis and wake boards from dinging the gel coat - maybe you could order one and mount it closer to the boat to prevent the splashing?

mitch
07-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I've been dealing with that for a long time on my 00 205. I got used to it, but it's a PITA. Is the boat in all the time or just day trips? You mentioned cover so I'll assume it's in all the time. You could always get a lift, prob sloved. If you come up w/ a good soliution, pls. send me a PM, thanks and good luck

Lennyp04
07-09-2007, 09:31 PM
No it doesnt have the transom saver. Thats a good idea that i will keep in mind. Gotta let my dads Wallet have a little break tho. So idk when that would be coming. lol

Thanks for the ideas though

Lennyp04
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah the boat is in the water 24/7. If i do come up with anything ill send pics and let you know. My dad said that we might be able to take the teak off and he could router a (technical term) line-thingy across the teak that is closest to the boat. Then we could stick a piece of weather stripping in, if we can find the right size.

sand2snow22
07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a transom saver and it still splashes. It helps if you have the waves hit the bow, try not to have the waves hit the transom first. My suggestion is deal with it and constantly wipe it down. Otherwise if it really bugs you weight the you know what out of the back so the platform is under water, then it never splashes.......

snork
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Had a 04 X2 and it always splashed up from the transom landing on the back of the boat:( the one bummer I can think of and it drove me batty. Traded the boat for a 07 Xstar and no problem now however if I still had the X2 I might have removed sections of teak:eek3: with a router, pattern the cutout with the hand hold that's on the first slat of the platform. I was thinking that it would lesson some of the volume of water moving directly between the transom and platform. or maybe a 80" long angle piece of Plexiglas secured just below the rub rail to deflect the annoying water splash.
good luck.

bigmac
07-09-2007, 10:39 PM
....My dad said that we might be able to take the teak off and he could router a (technical term) line-thingy across the teak that is closest to the boat. Then we could stick a piece of weather stripping in, if we can find the right size.

Code Blue at Harold's house....!!http://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gifhttp://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gif
http://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gifhttp://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gif

dmayer84
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Try turning the boat around in your slip so the bow is pointing out. The narrows there can get busy and backing in is probably your best bet.

TMCNo1
07-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah the boat is in the water 24/7. If i do come up with anything ill send pics and let you know. My dad said that we might be able to take the teak off and he could router a (technical term) line-thingy across the teak that is closest to the boat. Then we could stick a piece of weather stripping in, if we can find the right size.

Without routing the teak, place a bendable piece of flat vinyl weatherstriping under the platform with small S/S screws to conform to the arc of the platform and transom then,
A couple layers of colored vinyl or electrical tape on the gelcoat where the weatherstripping would rub will eliminate any gelcoat damage and no one will ever see it and it can be easly replaced once or twice a year or more. I use wide black vinyl tape on top of my powdercoated platform brackets to prevent the platform from sticking to or rubbing the powdercoating and I just replace it once a year while the platform is off and stored inside the boat in the off season.

Lenny, here is a company that has all kinds of trim and they may have something that will work, http://www.trimlok.com/

TMCNo1
07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Code Blue at Harold's house....!!http://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gifhttp://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gif
http://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gifhttp://mccollister.info/gifs/copper.gif
LOL, I'm on it!

Leroy
07-09-2007, 11:04 PM
A new 07 and in the water 24/7? Lenny, have you heard of blisters? The water splashing around may be your smallest problem.

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Try turning the boat around in your slip so the bow is pointing out. The narrows there can get busy and backing in is probably your best bet.

That would be my next choice if our section wasnt so shallow too. When in the dock : bow toward shore: the depth finder reads 3.9 feet and thats at the back of the boat. so um i really dont want to risk the prob and rudder.

Leroy im pretty sure that blisters arent a problem on our lake. Its all fresh water. There are a lot of people with mastercrafts on our lake and they keep their boats in for the entire season.

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Without routing the teak, place a bendable piece of flat vinyl weatherstriping under the platform with small S/S screws to conform to the arc of the platform and transom then,
A couple layers of colored vinyl or electrical tape on the gelcoat where the weatherstripping would rub will eliminate any gelcoat damage and no one will ever see it and it can be easly replaced once or twice a year or more. I use wide black vinyl tape on top of my powdercoated platform brackets to prevent the platform from sticking to or rubbing the powdercoating and I just replace it once a year while the platform is off and stored inside the boat in the off season.

That seems like it would work. I really want it to still look good, have it not scratch the boat, and actually perform so that it does keep water off the back. This sounds like it would work.

Thanks Harold

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
If anyone else has ideas let me know

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I have a transom saver and it still splashes.

Seconded. I just deal with it, but then again...we trailer everywhere.

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Why not just take it off when the boat is at your dock. and as sand said anchor so the waves hit the bow, thats better for the tunes anyway.

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Why not just take it off when the boat is at your dock. and as sand said anchor so the waves hit the bow, thats better for the tunes anyway.

i would but the way we have it parked now the depth finder read 3.9 feet and we only go up on the weekends and are an hour and a half from the boat if the drop the lake

trickskier
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a transom saver and it still splashes. It helps if you have the waves hit the bow, try not to have the waves hit the transom first. My suggestion is deal with it and constantly wipe it down. Otherwise if it really bugs you weight the you know what out of the back so the platform is under water, then it never splashes.......
Same here, you're going to get some splash if the waves or rollers are hitting the rear of the boat............Nothing you can do about it.

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
ok I think im gonna try what Harold said and see how that works. take the teak off at the 20 hours service and do that.

sand2snow22
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I would first try turning the boat around. I don't know about your slip, as long as it gets shallow gradually. I have the same boat, at the lake we park with the bow facing the waves and the prop is in about 2.5 ft of water according to the depth finder. We've never hit bottom, only stirred it up once or twice :D

sand2snow22
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Here is a pic for reference.......

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC01671.jpg

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Sand2snow22...the bottom of the lake where we are is all rocks....and we are only aloud to go out 50 feet with our dock: from shoreline to end, and its already maxed out. I would love to turn it around but i dont think my dad wants to buy a new prop this early in the game since we just got the boat this weekend

trickskier
07-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm sure Harold's suggestion will work. However, I don't know how long it will last if you're going to leave the boat in the water 24/7. You already said the foam pipe insulation didn't work..............Not trying to be a pessimist...............My ProStar did the samething...........Fact is if you're on the water you're going to get wet.....

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah maybe i should just suck it up and let the boat get wet. The foam insulation was shoved in loosly and that is why it didnt work. I will try harolds techniques and see how that works.

trickskier
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah maybe i should just suck it up and let the boat get wet. The foam insulation was shoved in loosly and that is why it didnt work. I will try harolds techniques and see how that works.
Hope it works for you......Good Luck...........:D

Lennyp04
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah i hope it works to lol....and thanks

mallees
07-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Try leaving the rear ballast full and emptying the front bag, I found this kept the bottom of the teak closer to the water. The splash is caused by the waves going under the teak and hitting the boat, if the teak is close to touching the water, then the waves are smaller and they have less chance of splashing up. It works for my 04X2.

Lennyp04
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Good idea. I know that when we leave the boat in the water the bottom gets scummy. Do I need to worry about this happing inside the tanks??

TMCNo1
07-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Lenny, here is a company that has all kinds of trim and they may have something that will work, http://www.trimlok.com/

Hope it helps. http://www.trimlok.com/

Lennyp04
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the Link Harold...much appreciated. I will look around and show my dad. See if we see anything....

Thanks again for all your suggestions!!!

Lennyp04
07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
This is a bit of a home fix but here is what we did and it works... We took garage door molding that has a little flap on and mounted it on the underside of the teak. we put it so the flap fit up between the boat and the teak

IT WORKS
if you want more info pm me and ill let you know

trickskier
07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
This is a bit of a home fix but here is what we did and it works... We took garage door molding that has a little flap on and mounted it on the underside of the teak. we put it so the flap fit up between the boat and the teak

IT WORKS
How about posting some pics..................;)

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 09:05 AM

IT WORKS

Good to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please post pics for others to see!

Lennyp04
07-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I'll try to post some pics...it will be after next weekend

Lennyp04
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Its been quite a while since ive been able to take some pics.

Luckily i took the teak off this weekend and took some. Just gotta wait until my friend can take them off his camera and send them to me. Hopefully i will have them up soon. Hopfully my teachers dont give me to much homework my first week back so i can have some time!!

ridehype4life
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Lenny, as for the teak 'hitting' the back of the boat like you said earlier, I had the same problem with our 06 X1, and someone recommended cutting credit cards in half length wise and sliding them between the base and platform brackets. Worked perfectly; you still get the occasional splash up on the sunpad, but the platform isn't banging around back there at all.

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
some long awaited pics. I know the molding is all lake scummy. I wasnt to worried about it since its under the water. The only thing that i would tell people who are going to do this and leave the boat in the water is take the teak off every once and a while because lake scum will sit btwn the boat and flap of molding and look nasty....just a heads up!!

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
another.................

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
another......................

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
another.........................

bobx1
09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Good ideas. I have the same problem. Point the bow out but the waves hit our bulkhead and bounce back. I first noticed that the carpet next to the factory ballast tanks were wet (along with the sunpad). The splashing was seeping into the rear compartments. Tried the pipe insulation, cut up a kid's noodle (the floating things), and now I just jam a beach towel between it (only do this when not in use). In short, I feel your pain.

P.S. I also make my kids drip dry on the teak before they jump back in the boat - that also minimizes the water in your boat.

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
another...i was trying to show in this one how the molding fit against where the bracket is. Didnt work so well.

Lennyp04
09-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Well if your looking for a permanent fix...this is the best one ive found. Im not able to let the waves hit the bow first for fear of the prop beacuse the depth reads about 3.9 when in the dock with bow facing to shore.

Weve had this on for about 1 1/2 months and this thing works like a charm!!! No water spalshing up except from the handle hole which i dont care about beacuse its so minamal...and the only other way i get water on the back is when a huge boat comes by and makes that huge wake and just comes right up to the rubrail or on the back deck...pisses me off...but this is the answer until somebody comes up with something better.

tbd01
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks Lenny it all seems so clear now:)

Lennyp04
09-06-2007, 06:29 AM
tbd01, dont pictures do that. Glad your able to figure it out. Hope if your gonna do this it works for you!! Not to hard of a project and not to time consuming. My dad and i had the teak off and did the project and went to put it on maybe 30 mins later. Then we ran into problems when one of the brackets broke off. That took another 15. Good luck to all that try this!!