PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Experience

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
My Canon SB450 bounced in the boat this weekend and broke the LCD screen, cost to fix $150-200 yuks plus 4 weeks for repair. I had great experience with this Canon and am thinking about buying the SD750...great features at a price I want to pay. I just gotta buy a new one...any pros, cons, or suggestions to any of you experts????

TMCNo1
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
We got a SD600 for Xmas and love it, along with a 1.0 GB card. Daughter found it on sale at Circuit City for $229 IIRC and had a coupon for the 1.0GB card for $19.99. Found a spare battery for us and daughter on www.overstock.com for $9.99 and free shipping.

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Harold for the info, you da man!!!!

Leroy
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
You can probably buy a screen on Ebay and fix it yourself!

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Leroy, you give me way, way to much credit...I can work on engines, boats, and everthing else, but I would s...w the pooch if I tried to do what you are suggesting here....thanks for your suggestion.

mitch
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
that's a nice camera, and you'll love the 3" screen. The newer screens are much tougher than the earlier elph's....

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
that's a nice camera, and you'll love the 3" screen. The newer screens are much tougher than the earlier elph's....

I love the 3 inch screen, I am gonna buy tit.....:D

beef
07-09-2007, 10:43 PM
The SD600 is a nice little camera - my son has one. Coincidentally, I just finished replacing the lcd screen on it. Did a search and found a tutorial someone had put together on how to do it. Wasn't too bad - took about 45 minutes. The article also had the number of the Canon repair parts center in NJ. Got the SD600 screen for only $45. Definitely worth the effort if you want to try and salvage your SB450.

3event
07-09-2007, 10:45 PM
The SD700IS is our point-n-shoot camera, love it ! Takes outstanding pix and love the size. These Elph cameras are a good value , too.

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
The SD600 is a nice little camera - my son has one. Coincidentally, I just finished replacing the lcd screen on it. Did a search and found a tutorial someone had put together on how to do it. Wasn't too bad - took about 45 minutes. The article also had the number of the Canon repair parts center in NJ. Got the SD600 screen for only $45. Definitely worth the effort if you want to try and salvage your SB450.

Thanks for you info Beef, do you still know the WS of this tutorial you are refering to here??

tex
07-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I have the 450 and love it. If you upgrade, let me know how you like it!

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I have the 450 and love it. If you upgrade, let me know how you like it!

I will do this my friend, it has 7.1 pixels, and would you not like to have this kind of defintion???

SkiDog
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
The GREAT thing about Canons is the fact that ALL canon lenses will fit it. Even the ones that fit a 35mm. Thats what sold me on the EOS Digital. All my old Canon lenses fit the new camera!

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 11:09 PM
The GREAT thing about Canons is the fact that ALL canon lenses will fit it. Even the ones that fit a 35mm. Thats what sold me on the EOS Digital. All my old Canon lenses fit the new camera!

This is good knowledge...thanks

bigmac
07-09-2007, 11:33 PM
The GREAT thing about Canons is the fact that ALL canon lenses will fit it. Even the ones that fit a 35mm. Thats what sold me on the EOS Digital. All my old Canon lenses fit the new camera!Although Canon really pi$$ed a lot of users off when they abandoned the FD mount for the EOS system. Nikon OTOH kept the same mount so my old (old!) Nikon specialty glass still works fine. One of the reasons I stayed with Nikon instead of Canon. Nikon only has one line of lenses too - they work on all of their SLR cameras, digital and 35mm.

I do have a Canon SD630 Elph, though, as well as a 400 Elph. Canon makes great point-and-shoots. This 630 gets some really great images.

ChrisJR10
07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I have the SD630 (the 750 is the upgrade to the 630) and I LOVE that camera. I was actually looking at buying the 750 today - best deal that I've found from a legit company is $254 from dell, shipped. Have you found anything better?

Leroy
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
You just need to use the little screwdriver! :D

tex
07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
You just need to use the little screwdriver! :D
I always like a large screwdriver and make it a double!

JDK
07-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Although Canon really pi$$ed a lot of users off when they abandoned the FD mount for the EOS system. Nikon OTOH kept the same mount so my old (old!) Nikon specialty glass still works fine. One of the reasons I stayed with Nikon instead of Canon. Nikon only has one line of lenses too - they work on all of their SLR cameras, digital and 35mm.

Nikon's mount is the same on all lenses but don't they have two different auto-focus drives (one in body system and one in lense system)? The way I understand them, all the lenses will interchange, but the auto-focus may not work.

bigmac
07-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Nikon's mount is the same on all lenses but don't they have two different auto-focus drives (one in body system and one in lense system)? The way I understand them, all the lenses will interchange, but the auto-focus may not work.G lenses and D lenses. G's are electronic motor focusing, the D's use the screw drive in the camera.

beef
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for you info Beef, do you still know the WS of this tutorial you are refering to here??

This is the place: Canon SD600 lcd replacement (http://cannonlcdrepair.blogspot.com/) I'm sure it's a similar process for other models. The key for me was the direct parts center pricing. Makes it well worth the effort. The phone number for them is 732-521-7007.

mitch
07-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I have the SD630 (the 750 is the upgrade to the 630) and I LOVE that camera. I was actually looking at buying the 750 today - best deal that I've found from a legit company is $254 from dell, shipped. Have you found anything better?

That's a great deal

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1118173

pilot02
07-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I looked at the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS Rebel XTi and ended up going with the Rebel a week ago. All of the review's I found put the 2 very close together in quality and the limiting factor was not actually the camera body themselves but the glass used. The Nikon did appear to be slightly easier to use menu wise and has a couple more fine tune settings than the Canon but I really liked the multizone autofocus on the canon for action shots and the fact the Canon would shoot more pics in continuous mode before it took a break to dump data to the memory card.

phecksel
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Nikon's mount is the same on all lenses but don't they have two different auto-focus drives (one in body system and one in lense system)? The way I understand them, all the lenses will interchange, but the auto-focus may not work.
New D40 camera does not have a body focusing system. None of the old body focus lenses will not auto focus.

phecksel
07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I looked at the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS Rebel XTi and ended up going with the Rebel a week ago. All of the review's I found put the 2 very close together in quality and the limiting factor was not actually the camera body themselves but the glass used. The Nikon did appear to be slightly easier to use menu wise and has a couple more fine tune settings than the Canon but I really liked the multizone autofocus on the canon for action shots and the fact the Canon would shoot more pics in continuous mode before it took a break to dump data to the memory card.
Can't go wrong with either one. Literally comfort and user ergo are the two deciding factors. The true difference comes from post processing. I'm finding it to be very critical to getting that WOW factor.

Here's one of my latest from my Nikon D50.

http://www.hecksel.com/images/Phil/Aviation/2007%20thunder%20over%20mi/blue%20angels%20at%20airport/a/images/DSC_13138.jpg

Slinkyredfoot
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Today I opted and bought the Canon SD750, there are many features to this camera I really liked...7.1 pixels which is good enough for my eyes, slim design, ease of use, and as Mitch stated the 3" LCD screen on back wraped with a darker light deadening surround in brushed black aluminum. I just looks good too.
$299, 12 months no interest, I like to use other peoples money with no pay back...coupon for 10 free prints, 1 photo CD per month for a year, not to mention a free class titled "Introduction to Better Digital Photography"...
I feel I got a good deal and a great camera, I will read the manual and post some pics soon....:D I am happy other than my MC Tshirt getting scorched...

Leroy
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Good choice Steve!

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14919

bigmac
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
New D40 camera does not have a body focusing system. None of the old body focus lenses will not auto focus.True, the consumer-oriented Nikon D40 body has done away with in-body servo (screw-drive) focusing as a means of keeping costs down. That camera is marketed along with similarly-oriented lenses, all of which are "G" lenses with the AF motor in the lens. If a buyer had a stock of the older "D" lenses, they'd still fit the D40 and he'd still be able to meter, but they'd only work in manual focusing mode and he'd be better off getting a D50 or higher.

Slinkyredfoot
07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Good choice Steve!

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14919

Thanks Leroy, spoken like a well educated Hoosier...

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
We have/had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 and loved it for a little pocket camera. Best Buy has the exclusive 'brown' version (we had...it's a good color) on sale for $211. We found out last week that it and salt water do not mix. Since this is the 2nd camera in 3yrs to go in the water, we're looking at the waterproof Olympus.

Ric
07-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Today I opted and bought the Canon SD750, there are many features to this camera I really liked...7.1 pixels which is good enough for my eyes, slim design, ease of use, and as Mitch stated the 3" LCD screen on back wraped with a darker light deadening surround in brushed black aluminum. I just looks good too.
$299, 12 months no interest, I like to use other peoples money with no pay back...coupon for 10 free prints, 1 photo CD per month for a year, not to mention a free class titled "Introduction to Better Digital Photography"...
I feel I got a good deal and a great camera, I will read the manual and post some pics soon....:D I am happy other than my MC Tshirt getting scorched... can you get us a pic of the scorched shirt? Futher, if you are trying to do it the way they do in those movies, it needs to be a red shirt.:rolleyes:

Ric
10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I bought the canon sd750 for the wife. Mostly based on what I read here from you guys and we love this camera! great zoom for our needs and very nice large screen as well as the thing takes great photos! I recommend it for anyone who's looking for ease of use AND great pics

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Our daughter got us the Canon SD600 w/1GB card, last year for Xmas and we are really pleased with it. No more 35mm film and trips to Wal-Mart to get film processed for us!

bigmac
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Our daughter got us the Canon SD600 w/1GB card, last year for Xmas and we are really pleased with it. No more 35mm film and trips to Wal-Mart to get film processed for us!You still may have to go to WalMart (or CostCo, Target etc) to get prints made from your memory card, if you want hard copies. I don't like going there and standing in line, and WalMart in particular has been known to refuse to print anything that they think may be someone else's photo. I prefer just uploading the images I want printed to an online printing place and getting them made that way.

ShamrockIV
10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
I LOVE canon cameras!!! i have not upgraded to sd600 yet but when i get another it will def be a canon!!! easy to use plus take amazing pics!!!!

east tx skier
10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
My Canon SB450 bounced in the boat this weekend and broke the LCD screen, cost to fix $150-200 yuks plus 4 weeks for repair. I had great experience with this Canon and am thinking about buying the SD750...great features at a price I want to pay. I just gotta buy a new one...any pros, cons, or suggestions to any of you experts????

My wife has the SD850 and it has been reliable with great image quality for a P&S. I have an S400 and it has been reliable for going on four years. I say that having sent it in for two recalls. Cannon paid for shipping both ways and I had it back within a week each time. Fantastic customer service from them on my S400.

I do have a Canon SD630 Elph, though, as well as a 400 Elph. Canon makes great point-and-shoots. This 630 gets some really great images.

Have you had any issues with your LCD and vertical lines? How about a memory card error message? If so, there's a recall for both of these things on the S400.

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
You still may have to go to WalMart (or CostCo, Target etc) to get prints made from your memory card, if you want hard copies. I don't like going there and standing in line, and WalMart in particular has been known to refuse to print anything that they think may be someone else's photo. I prefer just uploading the images I want printed to an online printing place and getting them made that way.

I download all my pics to Snapfish for storage and backup on disc. We order prints from them and we get them in 3 days from NJ after I order them, plus order, processing and shipment e-mails, they're exceptional quality and cheap, IIRC, 12 cents each. They also have a prepay plan that lets you purchase prints for 10 cents each from your prepay account. They also give you 20 free prints, 5 X 7's and 8 X 10's as a bonus for ordering a set number of prints and/or recommending new customers. We are really happy with them and have been using them for 10 months.

mitch
10-31-2007, 11:47 AM
My wife has the SD850 and it has been reliable with great image quality for a P&S. I have an S400 and it has been reliable for going on four years. I say that having sent it in for two recalls. Cannon paid for shipping both ways and I had it back within a week each time. Fantastic customer service from them on my S400.

Have you had any issues with your LCD and vertical lines? How about a memory card error message? If so, there's a recall for both of these things on the S400.

I'll second the comment on the cust service from Canon, excellent!

Mikey
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM

Chris, I would try pricegrabber.com. I have found some very good prices there. It looks like Buydig.com and Butterflyphoto.com had some of the best deals. Dell on the other hand seemed pretty high compared to others.

I have also been looking into a digital camera. I originally wanted to start out with an entry level DSLR but after doing some research I dont think my first digital camera should be a DSLR. I think I need to start out with a good point and shoot. I have been doing alot of research on different models and am considering the SD850 IS. I like it because it is small enough to fit in my pocket, it has 4x zoom, and it has Image Stabilization. I have heard that the IS feature is a great thing to have. Anyone else care to coment on the IS feature? Does it work as good as the reviews say? Is it worth the extra money to have this feature? Any other recomendations would also be welcomed.

3event
10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
We have a SD600 IS - purch before the 750IS came out. Takes fabulous pix. Results with slow shutter speeds and flash off are pretty decent for a point-shoot thanks to the IS, should be helping in the boat and on the run as well. No way to really know unless you can do a side-by-side but I would say it's helpful.

This is a fantastic little camera!

Attd shot was handheld at dusk, resolution not the best on this smallified version but you get the idea.

phecksel
10-31-2007, 09:52 PM
I like it because it is small enough to fit in my pocket, it has 4x zoom, and it has Image Stabilization. I have heard that the IS feature is a great thing to have. Anyone else care to coment on the IS feature?

Fuji F30 has a great reputation. Higher end coolpix take beautiful pics. IS is a fantastic feature, as long as you recognize that slow shutter speed won't freeze motion.

als2104
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Anyone have any experience buying a refurbished digital camera? I'm looking to buy a refurb Canon SD750 and I'm lookin for anyone with any experience good or bad. Thanks.

stuartmcnair
01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
before you buy go to KEH.com and check out what they have...

you can also look at ecost.com. I buy a lot from them and their customer service is wonderful if you were to have a problem.

phecksel
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Anyone have any experience buying a refurbished digital camera? I'm looking to buy a refurb Canon SD750 and I'm lookin for anyone with any experience good or bad. Thanks.
Refurbished from where? There's an ebay seller that has an excellent reputation, and a lot of people have been very satisfied buying refurbed equipment. Some are nothing more then store demo units returned.

eyeball_jerry
01-29-2008, 11:06 PM
We have 2 small Cannon cameras, 5 meg and 7 meg. The first is over 5 years old and works great. We also have a Cannon Rebel xti and a Sigma SD10. The Rebel is really easy to use, bought it for the wife. The Sigma shoots in a RAW format so if you do alot of manipulation this format is great.

suedv
01-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I like my Canon cameras. I haven't had any of their point and shoot cameras, but I'm really happy with the digital SLR cameras I have.