PDA

View Full Version : Maristar 245/X-45

cdawake
07-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone...

I was wondering if I could get some firsthand info about the Maristar 245 or X-45. My family currently owns a 1994 Sea Ray 200BR that I think needs to be replaced.

We live on a lake that is fairly rough on the weekends but is skiable in the mornings. I was wondering if anyone had experience/comments about eihter of these boats. We are possibly looking into a Maristar 245.
My questions are:

How is the boats wake for beginner/intermediate slalom skiiers?

How is the handling in rough conditions (medium size lake)?

How many people REALLY fit into it (Adults)?

Thnx :)

bigmac
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm sure someone wil lbe along shortly to specifically answer your questions, but while you're waiting, here are the results of a search:

search x-45 (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=812833)

Roonie's
07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
They are not joking when they say capacity is 18 people. The boat is huge!! I would guesstimate and say 16 comfortably sitting but I have only been inside one on the showroom floor. This boat will have no problem with rough conditions but if it is medium size lake I would steer you towards something smaller in size. Medium around MN means fairly small lake. Medium around the NW and it means pretty good size body of water. I am assuming Spokane area (inland NW) like Lake Couer D'Alene and such or are you talking smaller lake like Hayden Lake? This boat would do very well on Coeur D'Alene and be big on Hayden.

I grew up in Spokane so I know all the lakes.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
My familys house is one coeur d alene and that is where we would use the boat.

Was the boat you went in by any chance the one at the new mastercraft INW location at liberty lake?

Roonie's
07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
My familys house is one coeur d alene and that is where we would use the boat.

Was the boat you went in by any chance the one at the new mastercraft INW location at liberty lake?

No....... I have only been to Alpine House MC dealer in Spokane off I-90. I bought my boat in MN at Midwest Mastercraft however.

The x-45 is a great size for Coeur D'Alene.

PendO
07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi John, I live in Spokane but boat mainly on the Pend Oreille ... if you are curious about the X45 slalom wake you should have them take you out in it ... truly it is going to be a massive wake, especially considering that beginners and intermediate skiers will likely be sking in the high 20's and low 30's ... also, it is going to be a wider wake than the X-star since it is larger and weighs more ... IMO it will be great on CDA for day use with lots of people, and you will enjoy surfing behind it, and wakeboarding at shorter line lengths, but if you live on Lake CDA you can afford 2 boats:) Get a late model 190 for the early AM glass, slalom skiing behind a 24 foot V drive is like deep sea fishing in my 197 ... not the intended use.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
we were more looking at the maristar because we seem to do more cruising than skiing. everyone in sales that I have talked to assured me that the wake can be flattened with the trim plate and that it will be wide, but better than the IO we have now, which has a medium but always sharp wake.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
and no... 2 boats is out of the question.... :)

PendO
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
we were more looking at the maristar because we seem to do more cruising than skiing. everyone in sales that I have talked to assured me that the wake can be flattened with the trim plate and that it will be wide, but better than the IO we have now, which has a medium but always sharp wake.

Tell ya what, come up to my family's lake place on the Pendo, you can ski my 197 and then ski my brothers/dads's (JT w/ rts of survivorship:)) X-star ... back to back ... then you can come back and post your experience ... we are headed up in 30 minutes:)

I would rather slalom behind your sea ray than an x45 ...:)

Roonie's
07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
That is true. But it is a big boat with lots of wake. I too still own a 20' Sea Ray bowrider and have skied behind it many times. The inboard will definately put out a smaller wake than the I/O. Never ridden in the 45 so can't tell you the difference. I have skied and wakeboarded many times behind the Sea Ray and wakeboarded behind my new x2. There is no comparison to wakes between the two at all. The inboard is far superior in every respect.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
No....... I have only been to Alpine House MC dealer in Spokane off I-90. I bought my boat in MN at Midwest Mastercraft however.

The x-45 is a great size for Coeur D'Alene.

Alpine Haus no longer sells Mastercrafts-
The new dealership is by barker road and is MUCH better.
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Roonie's
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Alpine Haus no longer sells Mastercrafts-
The new dealership is by barker road and is MUCH better.
:woohoo: :woohoo:

I thought they were headed that direction. When I went in there they really pushed the Supra on me and I was interested in the MC (this was 5 months ago).

PendO
07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Actually, AH still has a few 07's left, they are an MC dealer thru the end of JULY 2007 ... their add has been running in the sports page of the last 2 sunday papers, but I wouldn't buy one from AH unless it has the 8.1 ... and realistically the new dealer will match AH's price on the 45 (since they have 08's set to start rolling in come August)

bigmac
07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
we were more looking at the maristar because we seem to do more cruising than skiing. everyone in sales that I have talked to assured me that the wake can be flattened with the trim plate and that it will be wide, but better than the IO we have now, which has a medium but always sharp wake.Both of those statements are likely true.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Tell ya what, come up to my family's lake place on the Pendo, you can ski my 197 and then ski my brothers/dads's (JT w/ rts of survivorship:)) X-star ... back to back ... then you can come back and post your experience ... we are headed up in 30 minutes:)

I would rather slalom behind your sea ray than an x45 ...:)

Thanks for the offer...
My neighbors have a Prostar 190 and the other a 214 or something like that but I think a test drive will say a lot for what the45 has to offer...

PendO
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the offer...
My neighbors have a Prostar 190 and the other a 214 or something like that but I think a test drive will say a lot for what the45 has to offer...

AFAIK the only 214/X14 in the are is still sitting on the showroom floor ...

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Actually, AH still has a few 07's left, they are an MC dealer thru the end of JULY 2007 ... their add has been running in the sports page of the last 2 sunday papers, but I wouldn't buy one from AH unless it has the 8.1 ... and realistically the new dealer will match AH's price on the 45 (since they have 08's set to start rolling in come August)

AH has a X45 or two and a X2 and a few others...
Im excited for the new dealer annyway, plus they HAVE a Maristar in stock RIGHT now... there are just about NONE in the western half of the country...

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
AFAIK the only 214/X14 in the are is still sitting on the showroom floor ...
Oh ya... the 214 is the new one... I think he actually has a 197.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I thought they were headed that direction. When I went in there they really pushed the Supra on me and I was interested in the MC (this was 5 months ago).

I was there in late may and the sales rep was endorsing Supra as being just as good, but cheaper. after looking at the X45 and then the supra 24 something I saw there was in truth no comparison...

MC was by far a better product :D

Roonie's
07-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I was there in late may and the sales rep was endorsing Supra as being just as good, but cheaper. after looking at the X45 and then the supra 24 something I saw there was in truth no comparison...

MC was by far a better product :D

Absolutely....... and I test drove both the Supra and MC to make sure and there really was no comparison.

You want to buy locally from your MC dealer as someone from lets say Seattle (2 MC dealers there) probably won't sell you a boat. The dealers get territorial and rightly so. Also they will be servicing it as well.

Doug G
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Hello everyone...

I was wondering if I could get some firsthand info about the Maristar 245 or X-45. My family currently owns a 1994 Sea Ray 200BR that I think needs to be replaced.

We live on a lake that is fairly rough on the weekends but is skiable in the mornings. I was wondering if anyone had experience/comments about eihter of these boats. We are possibly looking into a Maristar 245.
My questions are:

How is the boats wake for beginner/intermediate slalom skiiers?

How is the handling in rough conditions (medium size lake)?

How many people REALLY fit into it (Adults)?

Thnx :)

This is an X-30 not an X-45. Most ppl qualify as adults (by age only). Kind of depends on your definition of really fit. Noone was complaining here.

Sweet69
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I have fit 15 adults in our X-45 with no problem at all, except for when you put that much weight in the boat it is like driving a super tanker, it can barely plane out and the wake is so washed out you have to try to balance the trim and throttle constantly, which isn't so bad but to fit 18 it would have made things really tough. The slalom wake with no weight in the boat at all, meaning barely any gas in the tank (it has a 90 gallon) no ballast and no extra passengers is still pretty bad in my opinion, the wakeboard wake is wide but it launches well. You can surf no problem and it has everything you could possibly imagine. Ours has the MCX engine which is a little on the small side but with a new prop I think it would be alot better. Anyways, with 15 adults we fit comfortably... way more comfortably than the above picture. I have absolutely no regrets with the 45 and it is a great boat overall.

cdawake
07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
ok thanks... i think if i did buy one it would be the Maristar... and with an MCX because it seems the LY9 seems to overheat a lot... Our neighbor had a X80 that burned through two sets of them...
-edited-

PendO
07-10-2007, 03:18 AM
ok thanks... i think if i did but one it would be the Maristar... and with an MCX because it seems the LY6 seems to overheat a lot... Our neighbor had a X80 that burned through two sets of them...

I think that the new INW MC dealership is going to do well b/c they "get it" ... they put big engines in big boats ... we are at the wrong elevation (2000+ feet above sea level) to put an MCX in an X45 or 245 ... as far as burning through 2 sets - did he "burn" through two engines or four engines??? ... you can put twin MCX's in (700hp) but you cannot do twin LY6's in the X80/280 AFAIK (the engine was just introduced in 2007 as a replacement for the LQ9) ... I did talk with the salesman at the INW dealership about the "overheating" with the LY6 as discussed on this board (as I was curious about the X14 they have on the floor with the LY6 - not a fan of the layout, but I do want to ski it sometime:)) ... he explained that MC was aware that there have been issues with overheating, and that this could be corrected by putting the boat in neutral and running the rpm's up (and that this would only need to be done once - seemed strange that this was the recomended fix, but that is the message that was relayed to me) ... good luck with the boat ...

cdawake
07-10-2007, 06:04 AM
I think that the new INW MC dealership is going to do well b/c they "get it" ... they put big engines in big boats ... we are at the wrong elevation (2000+ feet above sea level) to put an MCX in an X45 or 245 ... as far as burning through 2 sets - did he "burn" through two engines or four engines??? ... you can put twin MCX's in (700hp) but you cannot do twin LY6's in the X80/280 AFAIK (the engine was just introduced in 2007 as a replacement for the LQ9) ... I did talk with the salesman at the INW dealership about the "overheating" with the LY6 as discussed on this board (as I was curious about the X14 they have on the floor with the LY6 - not a fan of the layout, but I do want to ski it sometime:)) ... he explained that MC was aware that there have been issues with overheating, and that this could be corrected by putting the boat in neutral and running the rpm's up (and that this would only need to be done once - seemed strange that this was the recomended fix, but that is the message that was relayed to me) ... good luck with the boat ...

I was wrong...again... Sorry!
Just wondering if you know what engine is in the 245 because the info is not yet up on the website. Ive put in a request for a quote but nobody has responded.

Roonie's
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Just wondering if you know what engine is in the 245 because the info is not yet up on the website. Ive put in a request for a quote but nobody has responded.

It will take awhile to get a quote back from the website. I have done that too and it has taken over a week.

PendO
07-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Like Roonies said, it may take a while for the online quote to come back ... I know both of their 45's had the 8.1, I'm not sure about their 245 .... I have a card in my billfold for the salesman I talked with

Don Taylor
Sales and Marketing
don@mastercraftinw.com

Do you want the maristar b/c you want to go towerless? Down the road you will likely wish you had a tower and I'd rather have one installed/prepped from the factory ...

cdawake
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes I know a tower would be a good thing... and the kids like tubing with the tower... but my dad (who is the financial side of this) isnt too excited about having a tower, or even all the graphics (and price) that comes with the X version. Im really the only one who wakeboards, and I dont even do it that often... I think the 245 better suits the cruising aspect of things but is then USABLE for skiing...

I think I definitely need to test drive it both in the boat and behind.

Who knows? Maybe skiing behind a criuse ship isnt that bad after all...

PendO
07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes I know a tower would be a good thing... and the kids like tubing with the tower... but my dad (who is the financial side of this) isnt too excited about having a tower, or even all the graphics (and price) that comes with the X version. Im really the only one who wakeboards, and I dont even do it that often... I think the 245 better suits the cruising aspect of things but usable for skiing.

I see your dilemna ... you could also do some checking on the http://www.utahwatersports.com/new_boats.php page, since it has common ownership ... any boat you see there could be pulled up to the INW dealership if you like the colors better

endl
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I was running mine this weekend at about 35 mph looking back and messing with the trim plate just to see how flat I could get it and it was not real flat. Pretty good bump in the road coming across. I would guess it would be much bette than an I.O. We love our X-45 it is great for lots of people and storage you will happy with the boat.

cdawake
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
They only have X45s, and I like the color of the Maristar thats HERE...
To tell you the truth, i dont know why INW ordered a 245 but I think that IF we decide to buy if we will get a good deal.

cdawake
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I was running mine this weekend at about 35 mph looking back and messing with the trim plate just to see how flat I could get it and it was not real flat. Pretty good bump in the road coming across. I would guess it would be much bette than an I.O. We love our X-45 it is great for lots of people and storage you will happy with the boat.

Well thanks... Im not concerned about how wide or tall the wake is as long as its smooth coming across. With our Sea Ray its like plowing through a 2 foot curb every time you cut across.

Hrkdrivr
07-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Here's a pic behind our 2006 X-45 at 36 mph, no ballast, trim plate in the middle position.

The wake is wide and washy but not too tall. It's definitely not the boat for serious slalom skiing, but it's fun and not too scary. W/the ballast you can make the wake as scary as you want, although it's pretty wide.

We have the L18 and we like the power. It handles big water pretty well...but...it sits kinda low in the water, so if you're turning back into rollers at a slow speed to prevent burrying the bow you either need to wait until the rollers settle down or goose the power to get the nose up. We love the space because we have three kids and we like to bring friends along, which always means more kids. It's nice to have space to hang out w/out being on top of each other.

You'll love it...we do! :D

cdawake
07-10-2007, 06:57 PM
not bad... although nobody in our family skis at 36 mph, I believe the maristars wake is 100 percent acceptable... and 100 times better than our current boat! Thanks....

Now, if only I had the money...

Carbon Dreams
07-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I love my X-45. I wouldn't call it a ski boat. More of a cruiser and a body hucker. The Wakeboard wake is well above my skill level. The surf wake is awesome with a 440 and 880 sack and stock ballast. It fits 15-16 very comfortably and still planes out at 4,000 ft with the MCX and high altitude prop. The price tag difference between the 245 and the x-45 may be enough to make a difference on your decision. That being said, the tower is very nice for speakers and lights for night operations. Not to mention a great bimini sun shade. I have 4 forward halogen lights and 3 rearward lights for dusk boarding. After using them for docking and mooring this past week, I will never own a boat without great lights.

If you don't like the X graphics, get the backside simple paint scheme. Very understated and looks great on the water.

Buy the X-45, you won't be disappointed.