PDA

View Full Version : Supra Legacy

causewayskiier
07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I know this is a MC site, but what do you guys think of a 1998 era Supra Legacy? Theres one for sale that I may be interested in, around 500 hours on it, well kept, one owner. Anybody know how good those boats are, how the slalom wake is, etc. His starting price is 19,900, but I think he will sell for less.

rodltg2
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
for that price it better come $4ooo in the glove box..

JKTX21
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
If you are spending that kind of coin, why not just buy a MC that will do the same thing!
:D

jraben8
07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
They are nice boats but I didn't have to pay that much for my '99 MC 2 years ago. And mine only had 85 hours on it then so if you are willing to look around they can be found.

beatle78
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
check out boattraderonline.com

I saw 6 on there. Some crackheads want $26k for a 1998.

Why would anyone pay that when you can buy a MC, BU, it Nautique for the same price?????:confused:

BrianM
07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I know this is a MC site, but what do you guys think of a 1998 era Supra Legacy? Theres one for sale that I may be interested in, around 500 hours on it, well kept, one owner. Anybody know how good those boats are, how the slalom wake is, etc. His starting price is 19,900, but I think he will sell for less.
I will sell you an awesome 1997 Prostar 190 for $18.900. Absolutely perfect condition. 381 hours as of yesterday, bimini, shower, heated drivers seat, Acme prop, PP 6.5n. Dialed in slalom tug. Better wake and better build quality than that Supra. I'll even deliver :D

causewayskiier
07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I think I may be able to get this boat for around $15K, just wanted thoughts on quality and ski-ability?

Tourney Team 197
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Never skiied one, but you don't see too many Supra ski boats anymore. They seemed to have switched over to wakeboarding quite heavily. Maybe there is a reason for this...I don't know. I know you're dealing with a rather biased crowd, but I would try to find a MC. $15K will still get you an awesome ride!

MIMC
07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
causeway -

One of my ski buds had a 1991 Supra with those awesome 80's colors - ya know, teal, purple - the colors we like to see the slimmies wear. :) He sold the boat 2 years ago for a BU but I skiied behind it several times. OK wake, OK overall quality, but the factory exhaust was damn loud! I know the neighbors did not appreciate him pulling at 6 am. I agree with the others, for that amount of coin you can get a much newer boat with better quality and less hours. I say look around - just my opinion!

Lee

Maristar210
07-10-2007, 07:14 PM
We too have a Supra on our river. You can always tell because its the loudest damn boat on the river. No way would own a boat that is that loud.

my $.02

Ryan27r
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
maristar being that the exhasut is designed by indmar the same company making you motor shouldnt you just go by a nauty with a PCM so you can be "Quiet" and how does the MC through hulls sound loud im guessing?

Maristar210
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
maristar being that the exhasut is designed by indmar the same company making you motor shouldnt you just go by a nauty with a PCM so you can be "Quiet" and how does the MC through hulls sound loud im guessing?

Not this one. This is loud, really loud. No way its the same exhaust, no way.

Steve

WTRSK1R
07-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I have skied behind a couple, and the wake was ok. I would agree with the loud comment on the boats before they temporarily went out of business. I recently was camping at a lake where there was a brand new Supra wakeboard boat that did not seem any louder then my MC.

Personally, I would look around and try to find an older MC with low hours for less or the same money.

2RLAKE
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I skied with Dan Miller (Supra VP Sales) a few times after he left MC in 97 and went to Supra, and he let me have the '98 comp demo boat for a weekend to test ... I ended up buying one (great price) and it was a great boat ... but I swithed a few years later to MC and never looked back. First, check the resale value ... I had a heck of a time selling mine (course the pink stripe didnt help). Second, one of Supra's biggest issue is support for older boats ... where do you get new seat skins, etc. Third, check out the dealers ... they seem to turn quickly so that probably tells you something. And lastly, do they have a team talk???? Look through here and there is a brotherhood (OK sisterhood) of MC owners ... heck my friend's wedding cake was a 190 ... but there is something to be said for that ..... and as Forrest Gump would say ... that's all I have to say about that

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I think I may be able to get this boat for around $15K, just wanted thoughts on quality and ski-ability?

I would ask on the Supra site.

beatle78
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
is there a Supra site?

tex
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
maybe

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showforum=90

beatle78
07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
ummm.... the last post was in 2006..... that's not a good sign

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
ummm.... the last post was in 2006..... that's not a good sign
Speaks volumes!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
We too have a Supra on our river. You can always tell because its the loudest damn boat on the river. No way would own a boat that is that loud.

my $.02
My old one had supertraps out the back. And yes it was LOUD. Even with the "quiet" stack on. I thought it sounded pretty "healthy" from the drivers seat. But you would get a headache if you sat in the back.

T Scott
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
As a point of reference, i just sold a 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 205 with 420 hours, dual axle trailer and new interior for $17,000. IMO a better boat than the Supra with better long term resale value.

Hoosier Bob
07-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I thought Subaru made the Legacy?:o

ps205
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I just sold my 98 Supra comp last weekend. The Legancy is a comp hull with an open bow. There were 2 types offered - a true walk thru open bow and a playpen open bow. Here is my opinion. I buy and sell inboards as a hobby and have owned all of the big 4 (cc, bu, supra, mc) I really liked the Supra comp so here is a rundown of the goods and bads....goods - great looking boat slant nose design was copied in the newer MC boats. Great power and never has a bow rise, stays flat in the water. I thought the quality was quite good, fit and finish was nice. Tracks great. Super flat wake with the plate adjusted correctly. Bads...., plain interior, sit very low in the boat, seat are sitting on the floor of the boat i.e. legs have to be straight on the floor to sit in the back or observers seat. Boat takes a ton of water over the bow in rough water. Overall the boat was nice and I liked it. I think the 99 comp was waterski mags ski boat of the year. All that said, I own a MC Prostar 195 as my personal boat and I love it. I think that MC and CC stand alone at the top of this industry. As far as resale goes....All these inboards are so popular right now that resle is not an issue if the boats are clean and well taken care of. My comp was spotless with 150 hours and brought 17000.00. I took over 15 phone call on it. Inboard boats sell if they are clean because it is hard to find boats that people take care of. Just my opinion.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I thought Subaru made the Legacy?:o
I thought it was Acura.....:o ...Until I looked it up and ended up being "Legend"....Same but different....8p

Hoosier Bob
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
So what you are saying is I was right? Say it! Say it!8p I thought it was Acura.....:o ...Until I looked it up and ended up being "Legend"....Same but different....8p

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
So what you are saying is I was right? Say it! Say it!8p
You were right.:o ...... As usual.....:rolleyes:

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I just sold my 98 Supra comp last weekend. The Legancy is a comp hull with an open bow. There were 2 types offered - a true walk thru open bow and a playpen open bow. Here is my opinion. I buy and sell inboards as a hobby and have owned all of the big 4 (cc, bu, supra, mc) I really liked the Supra comp so here is a rundown of the goods and bads....goods - great looking boat slant nose design was copied in the newer MC boats. Great power and never has a bow rise, stays flat in the water. I thought the quality was quite good, fit and finish was nice. Tracks great. Super flat wake with the plate adjusted correctly. Bads...., plain interior, sit very low in the boat, seat are sitting on the floor of the boat i.e. legs have to be straight on the floor to sit in the back or observers seat. Boat takes a ton of water over the bow in rough water. Overall the boat was nice and I liked it. I think the 99 comp was waterski mags ski boat of the year. All that said, I own a MC Prostar 195 as my personal boat and I love it. I think that MC and CC stand alone at the top of this industry. As far as resale goes....All these inboards are so popular right now that resle is not an issue if the boats are clean and well taken care of. My comp was spotless with 150 hours and brought 17000.00. I took over 15 phone call on it. Inboard boats sell if they are clean because it is hard to find boats that people take care of. Just my opinion.

RYAN27r-

What were you saying?

What?

I can't hear you

Do you own Supra>>>>>???????

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Take a pill Stari! They are nice rides just not choice rides! Not much change since 86' and to say MC took styling from them I disagree. MC did somewhat slant the nose but in no way (IMO) ever emulated the Supra TS6M. They have a look by themselves. No gripes regarding Supra but I have been in a few and as stated MC and CC surpass and MC looks much better than all.:twocents: RYAN27r-

What were you saying?

What?

I can't hear you

Do you own Supra>>>>>???????

Leroy
07-11-2007, 12:52 AM
I remember that being one dead website also. Who knows why.

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Did Moomba buy Supra or vice versa? Either way I was just wondering. 93' MC for me and when the comp catches up to her we'll talk!8p I remember that being one dead website also. Who knows why.

Leroy
07-11-2007, 01:06 AM
I was thinking Bayliner did, but I get these other brands all mixed up!

JK!

Did Moomba buy Supra or vice versa? Either way I was just wondering. 93' MC for me and when the comp catches up to her we'll talk!8p

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I do no think they are quite as strong as Bayliner. Numbers do not support your JOKE!8p

BrianM
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Did Moomba buy Supra or vice versa? Either way I was just wondering. 93' MC for me and when the comp catches up to her we'll talk!8p

Supra and Moomba are both owned by the parent company Skiers Choice. Supra being the high end line and Moomba being the more budget boat.

mlange
07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
My ski partner has a 98 Legacy, so I ski about 1/3 of my sets behind it.

From the rope it's nice from 15 to 22-off. You start getting chine spray as soon as you get into 28-off, though. I haven't shortened up past that. The wake is harder, but still very manageable.

Interior is a little plain, but not bad. My buddy has had a problem with the windshield flexing to the point where the center window has actually "fallen through" a few times. Aside from that, no issues whatsoever. It's not as nimble as a MC 190/197, CC 196 or RLXi and doesn't track as nicely, but it holds speed well even with the stock prop.

I won't comment on the price, there's enough reference points out there on BoatTrader, etc... If you ski the course a lot I would consider going a different route, but if you're an open water skier I think you'd be very happy with it at the right price.

Another important thing to think about is what your dealer in the area is like. If you don't work on your own boat (winterizing, regular maintenance, etc...) the dealer will become a big part of the ownership experience. If you have a great Supra dealer in the area, but the MC, CC or 'Bu dealerships are poor, the Supra could be a better choice and vice versa.

Mike