PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaning

SteveO
02-19-2005, 11:42 AM
As a "new" owner, I wanted to get feedback on the best solutions to clean the vinyl, carpet and other interior parts. I will be bringing home my 2002 PS 209 next week and was going to give her a fresh coat of wax (suggestions appreciated) and a good interior cleaning.

MarkP
02-19-2005, 11:53 AM
:rant:, Show off!! J K,;)

_JR
02-19-2005, 11:54 AM
For me...

1. Carpet - Tide and a SMALL amount of bleach...add to bucket of water and then using a long-handled brush scrub in. Rinse well. This gets rid of most stains that I have come across, plus the carpet smells NIIICE! (Caution - too much bleach is a BAD thing!)

2. Vinyl - I use the heavy duty 409 spray. Not much that I have come across that it will not remove. Might take some elbow grease to remove tough stains, but it will get the job done. After cleaning with 409, I then apply some of the 303 Protectant on all vinyl in the boat. This stuff is amazing. I usually apply the 303 3-4 times a season.
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

3. Wax - I use Zaino wax on all my rides, both land and sea.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Congrats on the new vessel, and enjoy your spring cleaning!

east tx skier
02-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Just for the record (and I'm not saying it won't work, but ...) 409 is on MC's list of no-no products. Again, it's just my opinion, but a little tide and warm water will work well on the vinyl (just don't put bleach in it for the vinyl like you do the carpet). I'd agree that 303 is a must. Get a huge bottle of it; you'll always need it.

Congrats on the new boat. Get some pictures up soon.

MasterMason
02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
For me...

1. Carpet - Tide and a SMALL amount of bleach...add to bucket of water and then using a long-handled brush scrub in. Rinse well. This gets rid of most stains that I have come across, plus the carpet smells NIIICE! (Caution - too much bleach is a BAD thing!)

FYI I am sure this works great, but make sure your ventilated or the clorine will form a potentially fatal gas when mixed with tide.

SteveO
02-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Just for the record (and I'm not saying it won't work, but ...) 409 is on MC's list of no-no products. Again, it's just my opinion, but a little tide and warm water will work well on the vinyl (just don't put bleach in it for the vinyl like you do the carpet). I'd agree that 303 is a must. Get a huge bottle of it; you'll always need it.

Congrats on the new boat. Get some pictures up soon.

ET Skier and JR

Thanks for the feedback. ET, you mention a list of no no products. Do they have a list of recommended products? I don't yet have the owner’s manual, and haven’t yet reviewed the owners manuals posted on the MC site. Speaking of on line owners manuals, do you know if they post the 2002 manuals anywhere? Please advise.

I'll post some pics following her spring cleaning next weekend

G-man
02-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Doug is correct 409 is not recommended for Marine Vinyl. It use to say it on the bottle, it still may. Fantastisk can be used with a coat of 303 afterward. There is a product called Vinyl Finish, it is a cleaner made by or for GT Vinyl the maker of the vinyl. It can be ordered through your local Larson or Glastron dealer. This is the best stuff I have used and it even works on your tennis shoes. Monday I'll edit in the part number because most dealers don't know it or want to look it up. I then use 303 after cleaning for protection.

_JR
02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Guys, thanks for the tip on the 409...

My experience with ANY chemical based cleaner/degreaser is to use it sparingly and to not let it sit on the material being cleaned...I have heard that 409 will damage the threads used to stitch the material together, but not specifically the vinyl. I spray the 409 on a rag and then scrub the dirty material, and have not had any problems to date.

With your input, I will toss the 409 and look for a replacement!

SteveO
02-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Doug is correct 409 is not recommended for Marine Vinyl. It use to say it on the bottle, it still may. Fantastisk can be used with a coat of 303 afterward. There is a product called Vinyl Finish, it is a cleaner made by or for GT Vinyl the maker of the vinyl. It can be ordered through your local Larson or Glastron dealer. This is the best stuff I have used and it even works on your tennis shoes. Monday I'll edit in the part number because most dealers don't know it or want to look it up. I then use 303 after cleaning for protection.

George,

Are you buying the VF in the DFW area? If so, where? I know that West Marine has the 303, and I plan on going their Monday.

east tx skier
02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
ET Skier and JR

Thanks for the feedback. ET, you mention a list of no no products. Do they have a list of recommended products? I don't yet have the owner’s manual, and haven’t yet reviewed the owners manuals posted on the MC site. Speaking of on line owners manuals, do you know if they post the 2002 manuals anywhere? Please advise.

I'll post some pics following her spring cleaning next weekend

For the carpet and the upholstery, MC recommends mild detergent and warm water. This has remained fairly constant over the years. I don't think the 02 manual is posted anywhere. I've emailed TTAdmin about posting an older manual (93) that I scanned the other night, but have not yet heard back from him. I think getting the older stuff online is something we ought to work toward. I'd bet that it'd be a lot easier for MC to post these than to copy and mail them every time someone requests one.

east tx skier
02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Guys, thanks for the tip on the 409...

My experience with ANY chemical based cleaner/degreaser is to use it sparingly and to not let it sit on the material being cleaned...I have heard that 409 will damage the threads used to stitch the material together, but not specifically the vinyl. I spray the 409 on a rag and then scrub the dirty material, and have not had any problems to date.

With your input, I will toss the 409 and look for a replacement!

In a pinch, when nothing else seemed to work, I've used an orange oil-based cleaner very sparingly (and nowhere near the threads). I immediately rinsed excessively with water. I know this works great on the gelcoat for stubborn stains, but don't know if it's good or bad for vinyl. No problems to date, but I'd hesitate to recommend it as I don't know if his has any ill effects to the m-vinyl.

bret
02-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Everyone agrees on the term "mild". If you use harsh full strength cleaners, you don't damage the vinyl as much what you damage is the thread. For tough little stains, if and when I have them from somone else, I use watered down Softscrub and a toothbursh.

Carpet: you're all going to think I'm lazy as hell but I get Service Master or a local carpet cleaner to do all three of our boats every two years - not to say that they don't get cleaned every week when in use, vacuum etc. He charges $45/boat. 28' party barge, 21' four winns and my boat. The carpet smells great, the boat smells great, and the carpet looks as new. The party barge is in a "first" stall at the Marina so all the boats go there, all the hoses reach from his van and it takes him less than two hours. Just something for thought.

BrianM
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I use Fantastic on the vinyl when there is something really funky on it or if I happen to get a little mold spot. Follow up with 303. Use warm water and a little Tide on the carpet with a soft scrub brush. Rinse well and vaccuum well. Outside I use Meguires Color Restore in the blue bottle if I have a little oxidation spot or some yellowing on the gel and then follow up with Meguires Carnuba wax which I do about once a month. I use 303 on my colored gel coat every couple of weeks as well. Makes it shine great.....

mitch
02-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Just ordered G&T Vinyl Finish Vinyl Cleaner a few minutes ago. I called Tennessee 800.247.9901. A little pricey

G-man
02-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Mitch lets us know what you think about it.

mitch
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
George, Will do. Boat comes out of heated storage in 5 weeks! :woohoo:

dmac
02-23-2005, 01:40 PM
...you mention a list of no no products. Do they have a list of recommended products?...
The owners manual we received with our '04 MariStar does list recommended cleaning products.

BrianM
02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
What are they dmac??

dmac
02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I will have to look them up. I do remember fantastik is on the approved list and 409, as previously noted is not. They also recommend the 303 protectant.

aprgriggs
02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
For the carpet and the upholstery, MC recommends mild detergent and warm water. This has remained fairly constant over the years. I don't think the 02 manual is posted anywhere. I've emailed TTAdmin about posting an older manual (93) that I scanned the other night, but have not yet heard back from him. I think getting the older stuff online is something we ought to work toward. I'd bet that it'd be a lot easier for MC to post these than to copy and mail them every time someone requests one.

works like a charm...

SteveO
02-23-2005, 03:15 PM
What are they dmac??
Found this after further research

mitch
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Just ordered G&T Vinyl Finish Vinyl Cleaner a few minutes ago. I called Tennessee 800.247.9901. A little pricey

Update: Interior looks great after using this stuff. Best I've used to date! Seems worth the $$