PDA

View Full Version : Say it Ain't So...

Jwhitsett1129
07-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I heard "Patience" by Guns N' Roses on one of the local "oldies" stations yesterday. I am only 26, but it hit me pretty hard because I remember when the song came out and also remember watching the video on MTV. :(

When did you begin to hear the music of your youth on "oldies" radio, and how did it affect you??

Maristar210
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I heard "Patience" by Guns N' Roses on one of the local "oldies" stations yesterday. I am only 26, but it hit me pretty hard because I remember when the song came out and also remember watching the video on MTV. :(

When did you begin to hear the music of your youth on "oldies" radio, and how did it affect you??

Doesn't affect me at all because I only listen to new rock like DePechse Mode and Flock of Seagulls. Nothing gets more current than that :D

Seriously? About 15 years ago when I heard some VanHalen off Fair Warning on the classic station. :rolleyes: :(

tommcat
07-09-2007, 12:21 PM
i remember being in Jr highschool when that came out, thanks for making me feel old;)

JimN
07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
He guys- WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try growing up without Game Boy, Walkman, iPod, MTV, Cable or satellite TV, good skateboards and all of the other stuff you had and have now.

Drink twice for whining! Here's one fer ya- Slash was born in '65 and Axl was born in '62. Ya feel old now?

Punk kids!:guitar:

beef
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Just saw Rush in concert on the 4th of July. Those old farts still rock!!

Just about all of my favorites are in the moldy category now.

tex
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
It's tough to deal with. Just think about how old oldies actually were when you wore in school.

Jwhitsett1129
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
He guys- WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try growing up without Game Boy, Walkman, iPod, MTV, Cable or satellite TV, good skateboards and all of the other stuff you had and have now.

Drink twice for whining! Here's one fer ya- Slash was born in '65 and Axl was born in '62. Ya feel old now?

Punk kids!:guitar:

I bet you had to walk barefoot in the snow and uphill both ways to school didn't you?

Read a little bit between the lines...this post is not about technology or being a whiney, "punk" kid. It is about the realization of age and coming to grips with the fact that the music I grew up with is now the music of yesteryear. Whether it is Axl Rose, Mic Jagger, Chuck Berry, or John Lennon is beside the point...I assume the aforementioned realization is universal and transcends age or generation.

Drink 4 for being crass and out of line.

3event
07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Feeln "old", check this interesting link (safe for work etc):

http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/mindset/2010.php

Unthreadjacking: A few years ago, young coworker's husband says to me, "We're going to see REO Speedwagon tonight, jumping into your generation". PUNK !!!!! That was one of those moments for me.

Proud to admit I live in the 80's..... sometimes !

JimN
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
No, I took the school bus. Sometimes we walked or rode our bikes but it was uphill both ways.

"Drink 4 for being crass and out of line."

If you didn't catch on that I was kidding, that's not my problem. This isn't the first time someone has said they feel old here and few people take this stuff the wrong way. Yup- it's universal and everyone goes through it. It's not always fun but it's always there. Personally, I didn't like turning 25. 30, 40 and 50 weren't as bad. My cousin told me that I'm now 350 dog years old.

JimN
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
beef- did they have the washer and dryer on the stage, again? I saw them the last two times they came to Milwaukee and they were outstanding! They're coming here in September and I'm thinking about going.

Jwhitsett1129
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
If you didn't catch on that I was kidding, that's not my problem. This isn't the first time someone has said they feel old here and few people take this stuff the wrong way.

Fair enough, I'll drink 8 and owe you a beer since I didn't catch the humor. Sorry about that, I guess I can be a bit jumpy on Mondays. No offense intended.

JimN
07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Your friends wouldn't tell you to quit whining to bust your chops? Mine would, and I would if they said something like that. You don't need to drink 8 for this, that sounds like a binge and we all know how bad that can be. You don't owe me a beer, either. It's on the house.

Doug G
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Age is a number. Old is an attitude. I don't care what station they play it on as long as I can find it...

I turn 41 next month and still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up (and I hope I never do) :D

Drink 12 for the h*11 of it and because you can!

beef
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
beef- did they have the washer and dryer on the stage, again? I saw them the last two times they came to Milwaukee and they were outstanding! They're coming here in September and I'm thinking about going.

Nope, this time Geddy had a row of rotisserie chicken ovens behind him. I understand this habit grew out of an inside joke that Alex had a big stack of cabinets behind him and Mr. Lee wanted his share of stage space. Had a guy in a big chef's hat coming out periodically during the show to baste the chickens. Musta' been a hundred of em.

Show was fantastic. Best I've heard in years. Love the new stuff & Geddy Lee was hitting notes that I don't think he could get a long time ago. YYZ as an encore! Highly recommend the current tour.