PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Mac computer

jlf
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I know some of you TMC members must have Mac's for computer. Our old computer took a poo and we finally bought a new one. We decided to try out a Macbook this time. Where in the world are the programs I would use to resize my photos so I can post some pics on here? I am not so computer smart to begin with and I have no experiece with Mac's. I will say from what I do know about it, I seem to like it. I was scared to buy a PC with Vista on it, I've haven't heard anything good about it. Any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

Maristar210
07-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I know some of you TMC members must have Mac's for computer. Our old computer took a poo and we finally bought a new one. We decided to try out a Macbook this time. Where in the world are the programs I would use to resize my photos so I can post some pics on here? I am not so computer smart to begin with and I have no experiece with Mac's. I will say from what I do know about it, I seem to like it. I was scared to buy a PC with Vista on it, I've haven't heard anything good about it. Any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

Will you take advice from one of the pigs with a little sausage?

sand2snow22
07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
A couple ways, I post pics on this site this way:

http://www.pdxwake.com/viewtopic.php?t=291

If you photos are loaded in iphoto already, click file, export, then files images no larger than ............, type in 700. Export the newly sized picture to your desktop. Then you can upload on Teamtalk from there.....

jlf
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Will you take advice from one of the pigs with a little sausage?
Yes, you know I love you all!! I should really change that now, it's getting old.

Jmatt15
07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
iPhoto is probably the easiest way to go. If not, do you have Photoshop on there? Let me know if you do and I can post how to resize images in PS.

jlf
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
A couple ways, I post pics on this site this way:

http://www.pdxwake.com/viewtopic.php?t=291

If you photos are loaded in iphoto already, click file, export, then files images no larger than ............, type in 700. Export the newly sized picture to your desktop. Then you can upload on Teamtalk from there.....
okay I'll have to try that.

jlf
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
iPhoto is probably the easiest way to go. If not, do you have Photoshop on there? Let me know if you do and I can post how to resize images in PS.
I'd only have photoshop if it came on the computer, we've not added anything except our music for itunes. heck it takes me forever to find the programs on here. I'm so used to just having them pop right up.

maristarman
07-09-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4486

bigmac
07-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I know some of you TMC members must have Mac's for computer. Our old computer took a poo and we finally bought a new one. We decided to try out a Macbook this time. Where in the world are the programs I would use to resize my photos so I can post some pics on here? I am not so computer smart to begin with and I have no experiece with Mac's. I will say from what I do know about it, I seem to like it. I was scared to buy a PC with Vista on it, I've haven't heard anything good about it. Any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.Unless you have Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I highly recommend (for $80), you can use iPhoto for basic editing function. iPhoto isn't great for resizing and changing the resolution. A better choice would be to upload your photos from your camera to iPhoto as you normally would, change sharpness etc, then you can change size/resolution in iResize (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/iResize.shtml). (downloadable freeware).

I agree about Vista. Rather than switch from XP to Vista, I switched (back) from PC to Mac.

Your programs will all be right there in your Applications folder. From the Finder, menu Go -> Applications. Or put all the applications you want to use in the Dock.

Maristar210
07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey Carissa,

Sorry I was beaten to the punch.... so to speak...

Looks like the others have it covered. A Mac is different for sure but once you learn to use the tools you have it will become easy for you to navigate. Good luck.

Two fingers on the mouse pad to scroll down the page was the best trick I learned FWIW

jlf
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I have to download other software to resize though, no way to do it with the software on the computer? I finally got my pictures loaded into Iphoto. I'm getting there.

Sodar
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
You can use iPhoto for basic editing function. iPhoto isn't great for resizing and changing the resolution. A better choice would be to upload your photos from your camera to iPhoto as you normally would, change sharpness etc, then you can change size/resolution in iResize (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/iResize.shtml). (downloadable freeware).

I find the image resizing and resolution changing functions quite user friendly and managable with iPhoto. If you select the photos in your library that you would like to resize and go to the "Share" Menu at the top. In the "Share" drag-down menu, select "Export." A pop up will appear and ask you what size/reolution you would like to export at and where you would like the reduced sized photos to go. (I normally make a file on the desktop for these photos and then delete them once I upload them to TT)

bigmac
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Normally I use Photoshop for resizing, but for quick resizes, I edited a resizing droplet script to use with Automator. I downloaded the basic workflow from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/resizepicturessuite.html. That's very slick, but I think Sodar's method is probably going to be easier for a Mac newbie and should work very well.

jlf
07-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I think picture posting might be a project for another day. I think my eyes are going buggy from trying to read and catch up on the million posts I am behind. I'll try Sodars method.

nuckinfutz
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the mac. Im sure you will like it. I have plenty of tips when your ready for them!

I second the iPhoto method. Its easy to export a single picture as well as a group. You can select multiple (Command + click each one) and export to what size you want to.

jchance
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Been a Mac user for 20+ years--try GraphicConverter. It is free. You can purchase a key if you like it to make the intro message go away. It will do almost anything that you done! Search for it or go to Versiontracker.com

jlf
07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I am still getting this thing figured out. Didn't get the pictures resized yet, but I'll work on it Thurs when I have more time to play. Thanks for the tips though.