PDA

View Full Version : 79 Stars & Stripes vinyl on bow and engine cover restore

bionoprene
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I just purchased a 79 Stars & Stripes. Any tips on restoring or replacing the vinyl (not sure if it is vinyl) on the bow, interior and engine cover. Thanks

82stars&stripes
07-16-2007, 09:13 PM
You can call MasterCraft factory and they can refinish those parts to original

H20skeefreek
07-16-2007, 09:54 PM
No they can't. They only go back a few years on interiors. Not sure what you are talking about on the bow vinyl.

Slinkyredfoot
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I just purchased a 79 Stars & Stripes. Any tips on restoring or replacing the vinyl (not sure if it is vinyl) on the bow, interior and engine cover. Thanks

Another 79 owner...welcome. No tips on restoring or repalcing but after numerous futile efforts I had mine painted and it looks great. Check yellow78mc posts, he has a painted boat and it is so sweeet...
Post some pictures of this 79, I would love to see it.....

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
If you are talking about the vinyl looking texture on the deck, motor box, etc. that is gelcoat and it was laid up to look like vinyl so it wouldn't show wear and scratches. Just clean it good and wax it like you would any glossy gelcoat.

This is a pic of Slinkyredfoot's '79, is the vinyl you are refering to the finish shown here on the dash in this picture,

bionoprene
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, that is what I was talking about on the dash, you have the exact same boat as we do. It is the same grey color scheme. Can you recommend what we should use to clean and wax it? Can you use muratic acid on the gel coat? Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

TMCNo1
08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, that is what I was talking about on the dash, you have the exact same boat as we do. It is the same grey color scheme. Can you recommend what we should use to clean and wax it? Can you use muratic acid on the gel coat? Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
I don't think I would take muratic acid to it. A good fiberglass cleaner and a brush, then a wax job should help.