PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of Gas - Fuel Pump Trouble

jjcookie
07-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Ran out of gas yesterday when it was 100 degrees in my 02 x-star. Had a 1/2 tank left and then dropped very quickly to empty. Ran out of gas 250 yards from the station.
When I went to start again ran very rough for 45 seconds and then quit never to start again. Thought it was maybe a vapour lock, so tried to bleed it out but eventually got no gas flowing through the lines.

I am sure now it is either the fuel pump, the relay or the fuel pump fuse, or a combination. I will start with the fuse. Where is it?

Can you tell if the relay is shot and how much noise comes from the fuel pump when you turn the key to the run position. I cant hear any noise whatso ever but dont really want to change out the pump if it is just the fuse or the relay.

Help???

JohnE
07-09-2007, 06:25 AM
From what I've read here, if you run out of gas, you will burn out the fuel pump in the newer boats.

bigmac
07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
From what I've read here, if you run out of gas, you will burn out the fuel pump in the newer boats.

Yes, that's the concept. The in-tank fuel pump's impeller and pump itself is cooled by the gasoline that it pumps. If it starts sucking air from running out of gas, the impeller fries and the pump is done for. The impeller isn't replaceable. Or, if fuel flow is impaired from a plugged intake screen - same thing. The fuel filter only filters the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank. It's the reason that many (most?) dealers recommend NOT letting the tank get below 1/4 tank. Reportedly, running the boat out of gas means that the fuel pump is almost certainly gonna die. Yes, MasterCraft's in-tank fuel pump design leaves something to be desired.

Anyway, you can check the pump by buying a fuel pressure gauge that will fit the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (looks like a skinny tire valve) - should generate about 12-13 psi. You should hear the pump spin up trying to pressurize the fuel system as soon as you turn on the key. That should happen even if the impeller is fried. If you don't hear that, maybe it tripped a circuit breaker (or maybe the pump motor fried too).

Replacing the fuel pump isn't hard. Disconnect the fuel lines and unbolt it from the tank. You'll need a special fuel-line disconnect tool ( a few bucks from Autozone or NAPA). The pump is about $550 IIRC. I remember something posted here by somebody who rebuilt the pump from standard GM components readily available from a GM dealer - a lot cheaper. A search on TeamTalk may shed more light on that.

chris.willman
07-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Anyone know where to find the thread on rebuilding the in-tank fuel pump? I've searched with no luck.

Thanks.

dmayer84
07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I ran out of gas, the first day out with my boat due to the guage being off. Put more gas in it and ran fine, maybe I just got lucky that it didnt burn up the impeller.

jmac197
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Link to fuel pump replacement thread

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=370531#post370531

rodltg2
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
i may have this issue too.ran out on friday. not a great design . especailly for those of us who run there tanks low. i keep my boat at the ski lake so we dont have gas near by . so filling it is a PIA. usually try to keep it at 1/4. it went quick on friday and ran out. i havent tried to fill it and test it yet...

DanC
07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
The fuel filter only filters the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank. It's the reason that many (most?) dealers recommend NOT letting the tank get below 1/4 tank.

I've heard that. Back in my day, slalom tournament rules were you ran the boat with the tank at less than half for a more consistant wake over the day. I wonder if they still do that?

JohnE
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I ran out of gas, the first day out with my boat due to the guage being off. Put more gas in it and ran fine, maybe I just got lucky that it didnt burn up the impeller.

One of the guys at CSM (2 actually) ran out of gas but didn't burn out the pump either.

RexDog1
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Running your gas low when you have a in the tank pump, car or boat
Whatever you driving???? Is so bad for the pump, it will run hot and then burn
Itself out, some in tank pumps cost over $500.00
Rod I understand the weight in the tank when you are skiing
But 3/5 more gallons would be 24 to 40 Lbs. Not that much more weight…:twocents:

rodltg2
07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
no it wont be, im not concerned about the weight so much. its bringing 15gal of gas out to the lake . no biggy just got to keep an eye on it next time. if i fried the pump , oh well not the first time its happened. plenty of other boats to use meanwhile.

jjcookie
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. Does anyone know if there is a fuse for the fuel pump and if so where do I find it? Id rather start there before I replace the entire pump.

jrhollow
07-09-2007, 11:25 PM
03 x-2 - I ran out of gas last summer and the fuel pump finally quite on me last week while I was in northern MN. The closest dealer is 3 hrs away, but had the pump in stock. A long drive, $450, 45 minutes of work and I was back on the water.

I figured it wasn't getting gas after I tried starting it several times and couldn't smell gass. I narrowed it down to the fuel pump and not a fuse after I pulled the rear seat, turned the key to run, and could hear the pump try to prime.

bigmac
07-10-2007, 12:06 AM
03 x-2 - I ran out of gas last summer and the fuel pump finally quite on me last week while I was in northern MN. The closest dealer is 3 hrs away, but had the pump in stock. A long drive, $450, 45 minutes of work and I was back on the water.

Where were you in northern Minnesota?

jrhollow
07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I was on Lake Vermilion (Tower end) and had to drive to Cross Lake to pick up the fuel pump.

bigmac
07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I was on Lake Vermilion (Tower end) and had to drive to Cross Lake to pick up the fuel pump.

I've spent many, many hours on Lake Vermilion over the years, both on boats and snowmobiles. And I bought my boat in Crosslake (I live about 20 minutes from there). When my fuel pump went out, they didn't have one in stock, but they pulled a replacement from a boat in the showroom. On the 4th of July, a couple of years ago. Very service-oriented dealership.