PDA

View Full Version : 209/X9 Steering cable

skitilldark
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Has anyone with a 209 or X9 had steering cables fail? I have just had the third one fail in a boat that is only 6 years old. Check me if I'm wrong, but aren't steering cables suppose to last like, forever almost? What gives? I never leave the boat in the water and after every use completely drain the bilge. I can't figure out why they are failing so often. Any advice?

skipaola
07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
My 2002 X-9 is still on it's original steering cable.

peason
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
My 2001 209 still has the original also, cannot recall any posts with the same problem you are having. What does your dealer have to say?

beatle78
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
is there any chance that the path you have the cable routed is too kinked?

Or is there a lot of moisture in the boat when it's covered?

....just brainstorming for ya

skitilldark
07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
is there any chance that the path you have the cable routed is too kinked?

Or is there a lot of moisture in the boat when it's covered?

....just brainstorming for ya

I suspect the moisture thing, but can't for the life of me figure out how the moisture is soiling an otherwise sealed cable.

skitilldark
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
My 2001 209 still has the original also, cannot recall any posts with the same problem you are having. What does your dealer have to say?

The dealer replaced the first one(although I did the labor) at cost, but the third one I guess I'm responisible for. I wondered about the crimping thing when the first one failed so I re-routed the second one where it only has to make that one drastic turn underneath the dash. I cut open the first one and found rust inside so I'm thinking it is a moisture issue, but since the cable is sealed I was perplexed as to how the water is getting in there.

beatle78
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
hmmmmm.... I would think the grease in the end of the cable will help to keep some moisture out (don't over grease and lock up a good cable).

How often do you get water in the bilge that's high enough to touch the cable?

My boat had 150 hours on it when I bought it and the cable was bad. It came from SC where I KNOW it was REALLY moist.

Also, the stock MC cover does a great job at holding in moisture:mad:

My new cover has vent holes on the side to allow moisture to escape:D

captain planet
07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I know I am jinking myself, but my 98 still has the original cable and I can turn my wheel with one finger. knock on wood, knock on wood.

mdthacker
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I am getting ready to replace the steering cable in my 2002 X-7. I posted a thread this morning asking for installation help, but no information has been posted yet.

I can add to this thread that when I picked the replacement cable up from the dealer today, they said the following procedure should be followed when installing. Fully extend the rear connection portion of the cable. Then, work the extension back in slowly covering it strongly with Mercury 2-C-4 lubricant. They said that it would help the cable last longer and help prevent water from getting into the "sealed" cable. Also, intermittenly lubricate the cable in the same location.

Can you provide any do's/don't from when you replaced your cable in the X-9?? It might help for when I start tearing into my X-7...

captain planet
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I am getting ready to replace the steering cable in my 2002 X-7. I posted a thread this morning asking for installation help, but no information has been posted yet.

I can add to this thread that when I picked the replacement cable up from the dealer today, they said the following procedure should be followed when installing. Fully extend the rear connection portion of the cable. Then, work the extension back in slowly covering it strongly with Mercury 2-C-4 lubricant. They said that it would help the cable last longer and help prevent water from getting into the "sealed" cable. Also, intermittenly lubricate the cable in the same location.

Can you provide any do's/don't from when you replaced your cable in the X-9?? It might help for when I start tearing into my X-7...
I just helped my buddy replace his cable in his 197 over the 4th of July vacation. We had it done in about 45 minutes. We would have had it done quicker if he had remembered to bring Mark and I some cold ones, but he had to go back to his camper and get a couple.

Take the cable off the rudder as instructed, wrap it with a plastic bag, tie a small rope 3/16 to the end of the cable, take the cable off the steering wheel and feed the cable out from under the drivers seat. Tie the rope to the new cable and pull back through and reattach. 3 guys, 6 beers, 45 minutes. Heck it took me longer to replace my bimini hardware that Steve was so gracious to provide me with than it did to replace the steering cable.

As for the lubrication for the cable, I would leave it up to the dealer to tell you what to use.

I have never greased my steering cable, what is the preferred grease to use?