PDA

View Full Version : Raking Weeds!?!?!

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Alright lets hear it! Do you have to rake up weeds on your beach? How often? I'm getting sick of it, especially with this hot wind!

peason
07-08-2007, 07:15 PM
We live on the south side of a bay, so every time the wind blows out of the north we have weeds on our shore. It used to be about 10 wheel barrows every time it happened, but with the purchase of an ATV with a pull behind landscape wagon - it cuts down a lot of time and energy. We have a lake association that sprays for weeds in the spring, and they did a great job this year, so the weeds have not been as bad, but with so much hot weather, they are coming back!

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Yup we have the association too, my dads the president:rolleyes: our lake is low and the IOs just chopem up. They spray for weeds and it works well. we're on the north side of the lake and we always get wind:mad:

This is a pile we had today 3ftwide by 1.5ft tall

Yes Quads and trailers help

The neighbors gave me a weird look when i took this picture, and it wasn't the normal one they gave me either.

bigmac
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
We have some curly-leaf pondweed in our bay. Boats chop 'em up and they drift in. The lake association put in Aquathol K every year and it helps, but hot weather, lots of sun, high water clarity, low snowfall all have conspired to make weeds more of a problem over the last 5 years or so. The DNR assures me this is cyclical.

I utilize two solutions...1) I get a chemical permit in the spring and broadcast both Aquacide (2-4-D) and Aquathol K (for pondweed and flowering buttercup). $35 gets me a one-season permit. The Aquacide is cheap. The Aquathol K is definitely not, but they are both very effective.

2) I started using a Beach Groomer (http://www.beachgroomer.com/) this year.

http://www.beachgroomer.com/animation/groomer.gif

Man, that device is the coolest thing ever. It's very portable - I move it all over the beach area with one hand - and it gets rid of weeds, algae and snails. It's driven by my lawn sprinkler pump and I run it for about 4 hours per location a few times per month. I rigged the top tube with a hose nozzle so when it's running, it shoots out a heavy stream or fine spray for looks and/or cooling off the waders, as well as aeration that stops algae and gets rid of pollen. The 1.5 inch hose line from the pump can also be disconnected easily from the groomer unit and I can attach an actual fire hose nozzle. That thing really puts out some water with force from my 2 hp sprinkler pump...I actually knocked my nephew off the dock with the spray from it on the 4th. Great for hosing off the dock or boat lift canopy of bird or duck droppings.
http://www.beachgroomer.com/images/firenozzle.gif

Anyway, I can't say enough good about this thing. It also requires a DNR permit - but this one is $35 for 3 years. It's best started in the spring about Memorial Day because it will keep weeds from growing, as opposed to uprooting them once they've grown (which it also does, but that leaves me with uprooted weeds to clear.

Here's the video... (http://www.beachgroomer.com/beachgroomer/video/widebg.mov)

bigmac
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you actually mean to type that, or did you think you were just thinking it?

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
WOW bigmac that is impressive, wouldnt work here though. With all the rafts and our weeds are out far from the dock and are milfoil, of which, i am told, when cut it releases the seeds. Our neighbor likes to take out their 92 PS205 and just do donuts and blast weeds towards shore and then rake them up and it keeps looking the same. We spray a BUNCH of chemicals in the water, restricting swimming, fish consumption, etc. Possibly more info to come....

ss4000+
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
we have not had any rain so we cut our weeds with a weedeater in the sand .

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
we have not had any rain so we cut our weeds with a weedeater in the sand .

How well does it run underwater?

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry but the street I live on is totally weedless! Sorry to brag but you asked for it!:o

ProTour X9
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
_________________________bump

TMCNo1
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
TMCNo1's option- Don't throw it in the lake, smoke your weed!

Maristar210
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
TMCNo1's option- Don't throw it in the lake, smoke your weed!

"Fill it, light it, shut up and close the door"

Get off TT and get out there to process your weed :D

peason
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
We have some curly-leaf pondweed in our bay. Boats chop 'em up and they drift in. The lake association put in Aquathol K every year and it helps, but hot weather, lots of sun, high water clarity, low snowfall all have conspired to make weeds more of a problem over the last 5 years or so. The DNR assures me this is cyclical.

I utilize two solutions...1) I get a chemical permit in the spring and broadcast both Aquacide (2-4-D) and Aquathol K (for pondweed and flowering buttercup). $35 gets me a one-season permit. The Aquacide is cheap. The Aquathol K is definitely not, but they are both very effective.

2) I started using a Beach Groomer (http://www.beachgroomer.com/) this year.

http://www.beachgroomer.com/animation/groomer.gif

Man, that device is the coolest thing ever. It's very portable - I move it all over the beach area with one hand - and it gets rid of weeds, algae and snails. It's driven by my lawn sprinkler pump and I run it for about 4 hours per location a few times per month. I rigged the top tube with a hose nozzle so when it's running, it shoots out a heavy stream or fine spray for looks and/or cooling off the waders, as well as aeration that stops algae and gets rid of pollen. The 1.5 inch hose line from the pump can also be disconnected easily from the groomer unit and I can attach an actual fire hose nozzle. That thing really puts out some water with force from my 2 hp sprinkler pump...I actually knocked my nephew off the dock with the spray from it on the 4th. Great for hosing off the dock or boat lift canopy of bird or duck droppings.
http://www.beachgroomer.com/images/firenozzle.gif

Anyway, I can't say enough good about this thing. It also requires a DNR permit - but this one is $35 for 3 years. It's best started in the spring about Memorial Day because it will keep weeds from growing, as opposed to uprooting them once they've grown (which it also does, but that leaves me with uprooted weeds to clear.

Here's the video... (http://www.beachgroomer.com/beachgroomer/video/widebg.mov)

BigMac - I have looked at this product with interest, but the price seems rather high - do you think this is something that can I could build myself?

bigmac
07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
BigMac - I have looked at this product with interest, but the price seems rather high - do you think this is something that can I could build myself?

Yes. It's very simple. Basicially a set of wheels, a pipe manifold that pivots, two PVC arms with 5 or 6 holes drilled in the end for propulsion, dragging chains. Hard part would be the pivoting joint (needs the right amount of drag), and finding the 1.5 inch hose and a cheap source of camlock connectors. I'll be glad to take pictures and measurements for you if you want to go that route.

Building my own was my first thought too, but my wife reminded me (again) of a few other such projects wherein I built my own copy and ended up buying the original too. The boat lift I built for the Whaler keeps coming up around here, hours and materials in order to save $200, only to have it collapse after about 2 weeks and have to buy the Newman lift anyway. Building a copy of one of these things would be an interesting excercise, but I'm skeptical that I would actually save money. YMMV.

The thing is $1199 for the basic unit, if you already have the pump, which isn't too bad for what it is IMHO.

MinnX-10
07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I am trying a new method... (we have a milfoil issue this year...) Divers!!! they are going in to remove them by the roots... thought of doing it myself with my scuba gear, but the thought of being under teh water for 40 hours pulling out weeds then bagging them wasn't too appealing. They are brining in a "private" harvester to act as the garbage can and pulling and pushing them onto the conveyor belt...

There are 3 "series" of weedings. hopefully this will help the overall. We will still have the torn up drifting weed issues (we are facing south east, so rare winds blow them into our area)...

pq2
07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Please let me know if you ever come to cancun...

Sodar
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

You made me laugh!!! :D :D

Tourney Team 197
07-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I have found that picking weeds with my feet works well. Plus it is a good workout.

Ben
07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes. It's very simple. Basicially a set of wheels, a pipe manifold that pivots, two PVC arms with 5 or 6 holes drilled in the end for propulsion, dragging chains. Hard part would be the pivoting joint (needs the right amount of drag), and finding the 1.5 inch hose and a cheap source of camlock connectors. I'll be glad to take pictures and measurements for you if you want to go that route.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures when it is handy for you. $1200 is pricey for me for this, but I may be able to rig a scaled down version of some sort.

Do you need a good solid, sandy, level bottom for this to work? Our bottom consists of some sandy area, some mucky area and the depth changes where the previous owner "firmed" up the bottom for the dock area with sand. I can be mid thigh on the sandy base, and move over (not out) 10' and be up to my chest in 2' of muck.

ProTour X9
07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Please let me know if you ever come to cancun...

My parents are in Cancun right now, Secrets Capri I think!!8p

pq2
07-09-2007, 05:39 PM
My parents are in Cancun right now, Secrets Capri I think!!8p

Cool, thats in the Riviera Maya. Good for them, the weather is perfect :cool:

betsy&david Harrison
07-09-2007, 05:58 PM
This was way off base...I was a bit put off by it:mad:

Years ago we had the grassy stuff and raked it out ourselves. Got bit up pretty bad by the bugs living there. Now our lake guy lowers the lake every year and sprays. No more grass!

peason
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Building my own was my first thought too, but my wife reminded me (again) of a few other such projects wherein I built my own copy and ended up buying the original too. The boat lift I built for the Whaler keeps coming up around here, hours and materials in order to save $200, only to have it collapse after about 2 weeks and have to buy the Newman lift anyway. Building a copy of one of these things would be an interesting excercise, but I'm skeptical that I would actually save money. YMMV.

The thing is $1199 for the basic unit, if you already have the pump, which isn't too bad for what it is IMHO.

You're probably right, the hassle of trying to build it with all of the other projects I have on my plate would be bit much. I guess I just need to put it in the budget. I do need to get a pump to water the grass - another item on the wish list. There is one on the lake, so I may stop by and ask him what he thinks of it - seems to me he has a couple of them-maybe he has attempted to duplicate. Thanks.

Slinkyredfoot
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Luckily for me, I have a neighbor who is obseesed with raking them...I just sit back and watch....he is a good neighbor..Another question...why are people and kids so freaked out about weeds anyway??

Blair
07-10-2007, 12:50 AM
we dont have to rake our weeds but we do.... keeps the sand nice for the kids that want to play in it

minnesotanice
09-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a couple of points to make... yes! The Beachgroomer works well and I did make my own after I saw what the neighbor had. However, I would never recomend that route again! I have too much time wrapped into it. Since we are talking about trying to save money here, maybe this isnt such a great option to throw out, BUT if I do ever do it again? I would buy a WEEDROLLER - for lake WEED and MUCK removal. There is a cool company in Minnesota that sells both and has videos of both - you can check it out at http://www.WeedersDigest.com

minnesotanice
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Yup we have the association too, my dads the president:rolleyes: our lake is low and the IOs just chopem up. They spray for weeds and it works well. we're on the north side of the lake and we always get wind:mad:

This is a pile we had today 3ftwide by 1.5ft tall

Yes Quads and trailers help

The neighbors gave me a weird look when i took this picture, and it wasn't the normal one they gave me either.
Hey, part of your problem might be that rake you are using. We bought a LAKE RAKE ON WHEELS! and a WEEDRAZER and did a 100' x 30' area cut and raked in about 2 hours! The WeedRazer cut it at the bottom and the Beach Buddy pulled a lot of the root out! Life at the lake is tooooo short to spend it messing with weeds and muck. (http://www.TheWeedersDigest.com) Oh yeah, there is this other cool thing called the AquaBlaster that I wanna get too!

Jorski
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Just a note...make sure that you do your homework as to what type of weeds you have. Some types of weeds will grow and spread much more rapidly if you try to rake them.:(

ProTour X9
09-17-2007, 04:02 PM
The weeds we rake are ones that float up on shore and grow ind deeper water.

bigmac
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a couple of points to make... yes! The Beachgroomer works well and I did make my own after I saw what the neighbor had. However, I would never recomend that route again! I have too much time wrapped into it. Since we are talking about trying to save money here, maybe this isnt such a great option to throw out, BUT if I do ever do it again? I would buy a WEEDROLLER - for lake WEED and MUCK removal. There is a cool company in Minnesota that sells both and has videos of both - you can check it out at http://www.WeedersDigest.com
I've looked hard at the Weedroller. My next-door neighbor has one, my buddy across the bay has one, my MasterCraft dealer sells them. I know what a bugger they are to install. Its price (about $3000 for the very basic setup) put me off, especially since it can only be mounted in one location and its maximum arc is 270 degrees. That doesn't work for me. My permit (basic MN weed permit) is for mechanical weed control for 50 feet of my shoreline and up to 50 feet out -- 2500 square feet. I want to be able to move the thing around and clear my entire permitted area - and that's something the Weedroller can't do. Plus - I already have a lawn sprinkler pump so I pay $1000 for a more useful and more reliable product (Beachgroomer0 that can be rolled into the lake very simply and moved all around my shoreline. At three times the cost and less usefulness, I just couldn't see getting a Weedroller over the Beachgroomer.

:twocents:

Ric
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Did you actually mean to type that, or did you think you were just thinking it? That's funny right there

minnesotanice
09-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Big Mac - I hear ya. Its true that both the BG and the WR appear to be great options. One point to make though - my neighbor that has a WR has his on a tripod and he claims that he can move it in bout 10 minutes. I have offered to help him move it and he says that with the tripod its a one person job - He has never monted his to the dock since I have been around but he did when he first moved in and he would agree that it require some effort. Now he moved it every few weeks back and forth between different parts of his shore.