PDA

View Full Version : Water in the engine compartment

djkslc
07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I used to have a leak in my 91 maristar 210 silentmaster. I patched the crap out of it with Marine tex. Worked good so far, no leak out of the silent master.

Now when I launch the boat and wait for the driver for 10 minutes idleing aroud there is no water in the compartment. Then I watched the compartment at slow speeds and no water. So I think all is well. I pull a few skiers and I have a gallon or 2 of water in the compartment.

Could it be coming from the drive shaft seal? I have'nt been able to watch it under load, so I have not been able to actually see it come in.

If it is that seal, how do you replace that?

skitilldark
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
There are a million things to check with this water issue and I've had about all of them you can find. My trouble sources over the last 15 years; shaft seal, connection lines to the speedo, connection lines to ballast tanks, connection lines to heater, seal on impeller housing, faulty diaphram on bilge pump(was actually pulling rather than pushing!), bilge pump line leaking at external fitting(before expelling the waater out of the boat) Don't know of that helps at all, but maybe one of these will.

FrankSchwab
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
What kind of skiers are you pulling?

For me, the bilge filled up when I pulled kids on the tube. The culprit was the hull/deck joint. At low speed while turning, a solid stream of water was hitting the joint, which had failed. I'd take on a couple gallons with each turn.

I had another issue with the circulation pump (the water pump in the normal location on the front of the engine). The rear shaft seal had failed, and there was a steady but small stream of water coming out the weep hole at the bottom of the shaft support. It would add up to 5 gallons or so by the end of the day.

Good luck,

/frank

djkslc
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I just had my dad look at it and he suggested it might be the seal where the drive line meets the hull of the boat. So the shaft comes out of the transmission and comes to a gold colored piece that has a tightening nut and then can be unscrewed and slide up the shaft. Inside that gold piece is some sort of seal. This appears to be the only seal between the lake and the driveline. It looked a little worn down, so for fun I put a little trailer axle grease to pack it a little.

I have not had it at the lake since, but I did fire it up real quick to make sure everything turned ok.

This may have also solved another problem I had. When in neutral my prop use too rotate slowly, not bad, but enough to move the boat forward. When I fired it up in the driveway the shaft did'nt rotate when the rpm's dropped down to regular idle.

So I either have put too much preasure in that seal, or this fixed it, we shall see. What do you guys think, was it dumb to pack that grease in there?

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 11:54 PM
You are wasting your time packing it with grease and all it will do is make a greasy mess in your bilge. Replace the packing or just tighten up the packing nut then tighten up the locking nut.
Here is a tutorial on replacing the packing, found in the FAQ on top of General Discussion forum,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31