PDA

View Full Version : Seat stain won't come out!!!

Jerseydave
07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Some dirty bird yesterday left me a mess on the seat, but it's reddish color like berries. I've tried the following, which got out 80% of the stain, but some of the stain is still there. Any ideas?

Upholstery cleaner
Magic eraser
club soda
white wine
resolve
Oxy-clean
Brake cleaner (I was getting desperate)

ProTour X9
07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
303, I can't tell you how many swallows have crapped in our shorestation!!! :mad:

bigmac
07-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Some dirty bird yesterday left me a mess on the seat, but it's reddish color like berries. I've tried the following, which got out 80% of the stain, but some of the stain is still there. Any ideas?

Upholstery cleaner
Magic eraser
club soda
white wine
resolve
Oxy-clean

It probably penetrated the top protective layer on the the vinyl and stained the fabric backing. There's nothing you're going to be able to, I suspect...it's likely stained permanently,. On the positive side, it will also likely fade some over the next few months.

Solvents are a bad idea. Things like acetone, lacquer thinner, and brake cleaner damage that outer protective layer that G&T talks so much about. They won't get the stain out, but they will make the vinyl susceptible to more and easier staining from dirt, as well as breaking down the plasticizer which ultimately can lead to cracking.

G&T have a general cleaning .pdf (http://www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com/marine/vinyl_cleaning_guide.pdf), but I don't think it will be much help to you at this point. You could try calling them (http://www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com/marine/contacts.html), see if they have any additional info.

JohnnyB
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
The key is finding a solvent that will take it out and keeping the area saturated with it.

I would contact the vinyl manufacturer to find out what is best to use on it.

To keep it saturated, allowing it to soak in, use whatever the recommend solvent is to soak some layers of paper towel cut to a size a little bigger than the stain. Put them over the stain and then cover a larger area over the top of it with saran wrap.

I used this technique with hydrogen peroxide to remove a blood stain that had soaked through into the backing material of the vinyl......I had to re-soak the paper towel pads several times but it worked.

Good luck.

bigmac
07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
The problem is that berries, unlike blood, contain an actual dye.

erkoehler
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Which skin is it? It may not even be worth your time to attempt to clean it.....just replace it!

Farmer Ted
07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
if you got the majority of it out, eventually the remaining stain will fade away.

I bought a set of Goodyear Marathons a couple of years ago and leaned on it on the bottom portion of my back seat (out of the boat leaning against the wall)

when I moved the tire, there was an imprint of the top half of the tire.

I was able to get most of it out of the seat but it took about a year or so and the rest faded away

TX.X-30 fan
07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Try Greased Lightning, I have gotten most everything out with the stuff. Just keep it off the stitching and rinse with clean water.

SDAhockey21
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Try soft scrub without bleach, and rinse with water.

skitilldark
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
my seats were white and a lady sat back there with some sort of cheap coverup which faded a really fantastic bright pink and yellow design on the seat. I tried everything and like you got about 80% out. After about half the season, it eventually all faded away. Yours most likely will do the same.

Doug G
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Uncovered the boat on saturday and found a pink stain on a seat that wasn't there when we covered it. Took awhile but we finally figured out it was from the pink "liquid force" writing on my wifes vest that transferred to the seat. Tried combinations of all kinds of cleaners and a little acetone and got 70% of it off but the rest won't budge. Hopefully it fades :(

Jerseydave
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
My stain is about 90% gone, and I think the rest will fade away.

Threadjack, Doug when are you trailering that boat down to Jersey? I'd be glad to show you the way around the river, which is glassy until about 10am.

SDAhockey21
07-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Uncovered the boat on saturday and found a pink stain on a seat that wasn't there when we covered it. Took awhile but we finally figured out it was from the pink "liquid force" writing on my wifes vest that transferred to the seat. Tried combinations of all kinds of cleaners and a little acetone and got 70% of it off but the rest won't budge. Hopefully it fades :(

My Jetpilot vest did the same thing. The vest was only on the seat one night..... Magic Eraser got 50% out and a day in the sun got the rest! No more stain...

BradD
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Have any of you heard of Kork Cleaner. A guy at work used it on his interior last night and was amazed at the results. He was told to use a protectant afterwards, but he couldn't stop raving about the results.

Doug G
07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
My stain is about 90% gone, and I think the rest will fade away.

Threadjack, Doug when are you trailering that boat down to Jersey? I'd be glad to show you the way around the river, which is glassy until about 10am.

If I find out where the quite spot is from the memorial day pic I may just have to pull it out and trailer down for that! I could even be convinced to provide the libations.

Thanks SDA Gives me some hope. I have the annual trip to Cape May this weekend for the wife's beach / ocean fix so won't see the bote this week. Hopefully when I get back the stain is gone.

Jerseydave
07-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Doug, we'll be in/near Ocean City this weekend. If you see a black suburban towing a 31 foot Sierra travel trailer, that would be me. :)

Best weekend to drag your boat here would be July 21-22. After that, I'm on the go every weekend to the following places: Smith Mt. lake, VA, Williamsburg, and RAYSTOWN LAKE PA on August 24-27th! Can't wait!

ivectoryou
07-15-2007, 03:30 AM

Upholstery cleaner
Magic eraser
club soda
white wine
resolve
Oxy-clean

If it had berries in it, you should SERIOUSLY give Carbona Red Wine Stain Remover a try!!! I have used it at least a dozen times to remove spilled red wine on oatmeal colored carpeting and several white shirts. You can't even tell that you ever had a spill when you are done. I saturate the carpet and the red vanishes before your eyes. With shirts I soak them for 30 minutes in a bowl with the solution. I would test a small area of your seat first (I've never had it take the color out of the stained item). If it passes the test, I would recommend putting a soaked rag over the stain (don't let it run on to anything else).

You can buy them individually at Fred Meyer for something like $3.99. I keep a supply on hand.

Here is a link of what it looks like: http://www.carbona.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=44

Let me know if you have any luck with this.

softailcowboy
07-15-2007, 11:16 AM
my wife had red toenail polish on one day and we ended up with a red spot on front seat in front of the walkthru. my upholestry in this area is a grey. I got the red out but now I have a smear in the grey. I tried soap n water. upholestry clnr and what it said in my manual. no luck.

for the 303 users when you treat your upholestry does it safeguard against these kinds of things?>