PDA

View Full Version : Engine gurus...

kpickett
02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I know that this is a pretty basic question:

I'm getting some intermittent nasty squealing on my '94 LT-1. It happens at startup and then goes away. It also happens on hard acceleration.

It dawned on me this morning to check the belt, and it's pretty loose. I'll tighten it up today. The alternater spins freely. Am I looking at a new water pump? How do I diagnose this?

Thanks,
KWP

Ski-A-Rees
02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
I not sure about your pump but somone beached my boat and I had to replace the water pump because it picked up sand and killed the pump! I bought my new pump on ebay for pretty cheap though if thats what you need.

BrianM
02-18-2005, 02:08 PM
When is the last time the belt was replaced? More than likely the belt is old and dry. That combined with it being loose and the belt will slip creating the squeel. Mine was doing the same thing. Ordered a new belt from SkiDIM put the new one on at proper tension and the problem was solved. Good luck......

kpickett
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
The belt looks very new. I'm going outside to tighten it right now. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

BrianM
02-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Mine looked good as well it was just dry. If it has been a couple of years I would change it out and save the one you have as a spare.

Professor
02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
When is the last time the belt was replaced? More than likely the belt is old and dry. That combined with it being loose and the belt will slip creating the squeel. Mine was doing the same thing. Ordered a new belt from SkiDIM put the new one on at proper tension and the problem was solved. Good luck......
I agree. May be simple really and sometimes there is buildup of 'material' on the metal pulley and belt dressing spray will work.

André
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Brian
Is there a reason to "order" belts from Skidim instead of using regular automotive belts? :confused:

kpickett
02-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I tightened it up, and the squeal is gone. Thanks guys.

A question, though - is there a good way to really tighten the alternator? I had to put a long screwdriver against it for leverage. Is there a better way?

By the way - Professor, where do you teach? I teach at Chico State.

KWP

G-man
02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
kpickett how old is your impeller in your seawater pump? If it is older than a year replace it. We replace them around here every year weather we use the boat a lot or a little. It is cheap insurance.

BrianM
02-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Is there a reason to "order" belts from Skidim instead of using regular automotive belts? :confused:

No. That was just the first source that came to my head. By all means take it off and match it at the auto parts store. I just usually end up ordering all of my maintenance stuff from DIM in one order.

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
What's the trick to tightening a belt (not that I need to by the sound of things).

kpickett
02-18-2005, 05:10 PM
kpickett how old is your impeller in your seawater pump? If it is older than a year replace it. We replace them around here every year weather we use the boat a lot or a little. It is cheap insurance.

It's new - only a month old or so. Thanks, though.

Thrall
02-18-2005, 05:39 PM
What's the trick to tightening a belt (not that I need to by the sound of things).

Not much of a trick to it Doug. I'm not sure how the LT-1 (kpickett) got adjustment out of the alternator, I think mine is a self tesioning system (spring loaded tension pulley). On your boat I assume it has regular V-belts. In that case, one of the implements that the belt drives (alternator) is adjustable. Just loosen the fixed bolt slightly, loosen the adjustable bolt slightly and use said long screwdriver to get some leverage to tighten the belt and snug up the adjustable bolt. Tighten everything down and you're done.

JimN
02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
If the alternator is adjustible, go out and get a cheap prybar. It's longer than a screwdriver and if it bends, you don't need to get a new one to drive screws with.

There's no reason to get a belt from Skidim. Go to a car parts store and have them match one up by size. That way, you don't need to pay shipping or wait for it.

Lance
02-19-2005, 08:19 AM
I am not sure what year your MC is but if you have one that requires you to remove the water pump mounting bracket to get the belt on (like my 87 Prostar 190 w/ 351 Indmar) you might consider buying two new belts and install one like regular and then place the second one in the boat as a 'partially installed spare'. Basically put it past the mounting bracket and then use cable ties or something similar to keep it out of the way. If you every have a failed belt on the water then all you need to do to get going again is have an adjustable wrench to loosen the alternator and put the new one in place without removing the bracket. This approach does two things: 1) it ensures the belt is there (and not inadvertantly removed when cleaning, and 2) minimizes the time spent replacing the belt because you don't have to fiddle with the bracket.

Probably not that big of a deal but one more thing to think of to minimize the chances of being dead in the water on the best day of summer.

Lance

east tx skier
02-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Good info. Thanks.

Professor
02-19-2005, 03:58 PM
I tightened it up, and the squeal is gone. Thanks guys.

By the way - Professor, where do you teach? I teach at Chico State.

KWP
Thanks for asking = Georgia College & State University: POLS & PUAD and you?