PDA

View Full Version : Son Ran Over Swim Platform - Ouch!

Flyer
07-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi guys!

So I'm away for a few days and my teen son was doing turns in out '05 X-10.
The swim grid came off (undermount screws all came out) and he drove over it, chewing it up, bending the prop.
Shaft looks ok.

Is this common?
Can the "water pressure" pop off the swim platform as my dealer says?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

SDAhockey21
07-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds like bad luck to me... I'm Assuming it was teak???

erkoehler
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
When the platforms are originally mounted, you need to pre-drill the holes. If you don't pre-drill, then the platform will eventually rip off.......I've seen it happen.

Flyer
07-07-2007, 02:55 PM
The swim platform was Med Blue to match the boat.

Flyer
07-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Meaning fibreglass.

Flyer
07-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Another thought:

One would think the only way to knock off the swim platform is by brute force - a log, dock,etc.
Kind of dangerous if you are pulling someone and the platform hits the rider.

Leroy
07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
As one that has teenage sons my first thought was that the story might be worth questioning some more. But guess you have been there also! ;)

I thought fiberglass would sink? Was it just one bat turn that did all of the damage?

TMCNo1
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
The swim platform should never come off like that under normal operating circumstances. The older and some newer ProStars were subject to being used in Ski Shows, driven by experienced professional drivers and the hulls were not a deep V as on most boats today, carried no ballast, weren't as heavy, nor did they run as deep in the water and sharp violent turns were accomplished without the platform being under the water to any degree if at all. These boats were used to 3 to 4 times a day, 7 days a week for months w/o any damage to the platforms. I would assume this is just a expensive lesson, that these boats wont take that kind of abuse that they are not designed for without consequences.

Flyer
07-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, Leroy, there were about 5 in the boat, but to be fair no manoevering should have knocked the platform off.

I know teens can get a bit wonky, but with the boat loaded with the max 11 and a wakesurfer behind we have had no platform issues.

My intent of this post is to find out if there are any other folks out there with the same problem and if so, maybe a few more screws and thicker mounting material might be in order.

Our son feels terrible enough, I won't grind him on it.
He has offered to get an "emergency 2nd job' to pay for it and I've accepted.

Leroy
07-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Good son! I have not heard of this on the message board before, but anything is possible with teenagers! :D

Harvey
07-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I had a teak deck come loose on my 01 xstar. The screws worked themselves out one one bracket. I ended up putting small lag bolts thru the platform. I have never heard of a fiberglass platform coming loose, that is strange. As a former teenage boy I would question what really happened.

Flyer
07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, guys now some for more info:

There are only a few screw "tear outs" on the bottom of the platform!
Wonder how that can be?
I'm thinking maybe several of them were borrowed (I kept the boat with my local Mastercraft dealer in storage for winter), and perhaps not replaced.
I find it very unlikely so many screws would have shaken out in 150 hours.
Will report further.

TMCNo1
07-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I have used a method to keep my screws in my teak deck for several years now. Just prior to installing it on the brackets I place one small drop of Clear 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive in the hole and let it start to set up, so it won't drip when turned upside down to mount. Then I run the screws in tight. Not only does it keep the threads in the wood tight and from wearing from taking it on and off, but it secures and barely glues the screws when set up and dry to keep them from backing out, yet taking them out is no problem.

Harvey
07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I have used a method to keep my screws in my teak deck for several years now. Just prior to installing it on the brackets I place one small drop of Clear 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive in the hole and let it start to set up, so it won't drip when turned upside down to mount. Then I run the screws in tight. Not only does it keep the threads in the wood tight and from wearing from taking it on and off, but it secures and barely glues the screws when set up and dry to keep them from backing out, yet taking them out is no problem.

GENIUS!!!!!!!

Roonie's
07-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Flyer,

I just checked my swim platform after reading this thread since it is currently off the boat propt up next to it. I currently have about 6 hours on my boat as it is brand new. There are 14 screws (7 on each side) holding the teak platform down and 8 of them were halfway out already and I am missing one that was never installed as there is no hole for it. So only 5 of the screws were securely fastened to the teak swim platform. This is something I will be checking more from now on as my daily routine after finding these results.

RedStar
07-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi guys!

So I'm away for a few days and my teen son was doing turns in out '05 X-10.
The swim grid came off (undermount screws all came out) and he drove over it, chewing it up, bending the prop.
Shaft looks ok.

Is this common?
Can the "water pressure" pop off the swim platform as my dealer says?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

That's not cool, Steve. Now I'm glad my platform is mounted on the back of my boat. So if it ever falls off, you know.:cool:

Chief
07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Flyer,

I just checked my swim platform after reading this thread since it is currently off the boat propt up next to it. I currently have about 6 hours on my boat as it is brand new. There are 14 screws (7 on each side) holding the teak platform down and 8 of them were halfway out already and I am missing one that was never installed as there is no hole for it. So only 5 of the screws were securely fastened to the teak swim platform. This is something I will be checking more from now on as my daily routine after finding these results.

Same here on the missing screw, the hole on mine is where the bracket crosses and unless I drill a hole for the screw it's just going to be missing. I had to move my platform out about 1" so I could put it on without constantly hitting the gelcoat.

JohnE
07-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I took the teak platform off yesterday to start getting it Haroldesque. All screws were secure when I removed it. A good cleaning, a little wet sanding, and one coat of sealer applied. 6 more coats to go, and I can go to CSM '08 proud.;)

Flyer
07-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Ok guys,

Thanks for all the posts. Hopefully the under swim platform screws will be part of everyone's inspection at least once or twice a summer!
See you out on the water.
Steve

beatle78
07-08-2007, 02:55 PM
thanks for all the tips!

I'm gonna have to jump in and check mt teak platform since I put new brackets on it this year.

SDAhockey21
07-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I checked mine and i have one screw head that is gone, but the screw part was still in the hole...... Only 23 hours on the boat....

TMCNo1
07-08-2007, 03:22 PM
GENIUS!!!!!!!
Like many tricks, I found it by accident!
I don't remove my brackets from the transom, but remove the platform from the brackets to maintain the finish and store the platform in the boat during the off season. This on and off happens as many as 6 times a year or more for maintenance and other reasons. I had a couple of the screw holes strip out and I just used 1/4" longer screws that did not penetrate the platform surface, then after a couple years they decided to strip out. That's when I took a stab in the dark with the Clear 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive in the screw holes in the teak a few winters ago. It didn't fill in the holes, but it did leave a very tough plastic like film in the hole once it dried hard, that made the OEM length screws a very tight fit.

JKTX21
07-08-2007, 03:51 PM
My buddy managed to rip his teak off the brackets while driving aggressively, so I'd say it's possible...

SDAhockey21
07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Any pics of the beaten platform??

cst573
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a 2000 PS with the fiberglass platform and the boat has just hit the 100 hour mark this weekend. About 2 weeks ago we had to drill the screw holes out of the platform and countersink carriage bolts through the top side and use self locking nuts to re-fasten the platform to the brackets.
I think that riding around in a busy lake took its toll on the original screws and they stripped out. The first fix we tried was to go up a screw size but they stripped as well. (this was on one side only)
We went ahead and used the round head carriage bolts on both sides and I now have peace of mind in knowing that my platform is not going anywhere.

X2M
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Is it a teak or a fiberglass swim platform that was ran over? :confused:

RedStar
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Is it a teak or a fiberglass swim platform that was ran over? :confused:
Yes............

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
You cannot dis the chick with the hottest avatar! Have you not read the rules?:o Yes............

X2M
07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Thank you HB. ;)

Farmer Ted
07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a 2000 PS with the fiberglass platform and the boat has just hit the 100 hour mark this weekend. About 2 weeks ago we had to drill the screw holes out of the platform and countersink carriage bolts through the top side and use self locking nuts to re-fasten the platform to the brackets.
I think that riding around in a busy lake took its toll on the original screws and they stripped out. The first fix we tried was to go up a screw size but they stripped as well. (this was on one side only)
We went ahead and used the round head carriage bolts on both sides and I now have peace of mind in knowing that my platform is not going anywhere.

it might not be a bad idea to go back and make up some sort of backing plate to put the bolts through

if the stress was bad enough to cause the screws to strip it will eventually crack the fiberglass if there is nothing to carry the load

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I have your back and front X2!8p Thank you HB. ;)

RedStar
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
You cannot dis the chick with the hottest avatar! Have you not read the rules?:o

Sorry, HB. Meant no harm. I'm a fan of X2Mama going back to the days when she exchanged her lemon. You remember, I'm sure.

Hey, Ma.

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
No offense taken Red just trying to get you back! Always room for one more HB!

Flyer
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Ok,
So my son's here beside me explaining that he was coming out of a power turn (much like pulling a wake surfer) at only about 10mph.
This is verified by the other boys.

So the load of the water popped off the fibreglass swim platform during the turn.

It appears from the other posts that a thru bolt and nut may be the best fix for these platforms to offer peace of mind.

If a boat is in the water most of the time, it's pretty hard to check the condition of the undermount screws.

We have 6 screws per side, and will increase that to 8 when the new platform arrives.
I'll also mention that the screws show only 1 or 2 tearouts on one side, so when it came out of storage from my dealer obviously the other 4 or 5 screws were loose or missing.

Thanks for the posts.
Steve