PDA

View Full Version : 88 prostar throttle cable

88inNH
07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I think my throttle cable is broken or disconnected.
I can shift forward neutral reverse.
Can go slow in forward.
Can accelerate/race engine by hand back at the engine connection.
Note: have to push throttle level forward (out of the way) to freely manipulate speed at engine. So, the lever won't pull, but it blocks my pushing.

Can the cable just disconnect at the control box? Or do I need a new throttle cable?

Any hints on disconnecting control box to inspect and/or replacing throttle cable would be appreciated.

Note: If it matters, my son was skiing just before, boat was running great. Stopped to pick him up. No acceleration after restart.

Bruce Carr
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Remove the screws that attach the control lever to the side of the boat. The control assembly should drop straight down to clear the fiberglass. You can then view the back of the control assembly. I bet you will find that the brass connector fitting which connects the throttle cable to the control lever has worn completely through the pin. The fitting can be had through DIM or the dealer for under $10. If that's not the problem, the cable is likely broken which can also be procured from the same sources above.

mayo93prostar
07-06-2007, 04:11 PM
yep, it is fairly easy to drop the gear shift/throttle assembly down and then you can look at the back where the cable attaches. Take the screws out that are in the black alumimum housing around the throttle to get it out. Mine wore out and I replaced them on my 87. SKIDIM is the place to get the parts.

trunderw
07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
is there a way to tighten the throttle a bit, it's really sensitive and when we hit chop the thing slows down a bunch...

88inNH
07-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. I'm spoiled by the this forum. I looked at the screws, it started to rain and I decided to "ask the experts" before diving in.

Rain stopped, dropped the control, Connector is intact. If I disconnect brass connector, I can pull the theaded bar right out of the cable housing, no cable connected. I assume that's not reparable. Cable replacement looks pretty easy if I use the old cable as a snake (read that in an earlier post).

Questions:

Any hints on adjustments required after I put it in? Actually, before the snap I couldn't go slower than 8mph (lake patrol was eyeballing me in "no wake" zone, had to pop in and out of neutral).

Current cable appears to run from control, behind dash, thru canvas boot to get below deck, heads over to passenger side of engine, crosses under engine, comes up behind (on driver's side), then connects. Pretty loose run, maybe one cable tie to shifter cable and steering cable. Seem right?

Any hints on length or part number so I get the right one? Only marking I see on old cable is M2737 (not sure about 1st 7). May have to try locally to get back on the water rather than wait for Ski-Dim (but they are great).

88inNH
07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Just to close this out for the next guy...

Had a little trouble finding the cable I needed.
Most Marinas around here didn't have ability to "look up" Mastercraft parts.
Ray's Marine (Milton,NH) said I needed a 17' Uflex 3300 series.
Key characteristics seem to be 10/32 threads at both ends and 3" travel.
They had a 15 and an 18. I brought my old one in and it was more like a 16'.
I went with the 18, install was a piece of cake, back in business.