PDA

View Full Version : Your last tournament?

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 01:51 AM
I just heard there is a tourney in my town this Saturday. I haven't skied in a tournament in about 18 years. I got totally away from the sport for 15 years and back 3 years ago to stay in shape. I have been on a private lake and skiing hard for the last 1 year. I think I will give it a go and see how I do under pressure. It's all about proving something to yourself, right?
When was your last tourney and was it a strong show or a choke?

I think this is my 14th post and nobody has said anything about my american flag fenders on my stars & stipes fenders, they are powder coated, super durable and I know somebody that loves metal flake...me.

Jesus_Freak
07-06-2007, 06:02 AM
...When was your last tourney and was it a strong show or a choke?

If you consider INT a "tourney", then my last one was last fall. I did my best ever, RIGHT AFTER I did my worst ever. The "worst" part was falling in my pull-out. The INT coordinator felt sorry for me and gave me a freebee. Funny stuff...

sizzler
07-06-2007, 06:36 AM
I think this is my 14th post and nobody has said anything about my american flag fenders on my stars & stipes fenders, they are powder coated, super durable and I know somebody that loves metal flake...me.

whoa there big fella.........i'll show the love...they are very cool looking fenders.......

there ya go......

Lennyp04
07-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Ive never competed. I did think about doing the INT when it was at my lake but it was on a saturday and sunday and my lake gets so choppy on those days that I probobly wouldnt have been able to ride up to my best. That and right now with wakeboarding i am in a bit of a slump and cant get even a wakejump. But H20 good luck with your torney!!!

Farmer Ted
07-06-2007, 08:28 AM
good luck in the tournament

you fenders look nice but it's probably some sort of foul with regard to Public Law 94-344

but people can burn the flag so I guess it's OK for people to step on it

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the love on the fenders. We don't step on them, we've got a few flags in a few placeson the boat, cover, etc., but we definately show respect for "old glory". I hope to at least ski to my abiltiy. I also had one of the best tournement runs followed by a poor performance in the next round. I am sure knowing the guy putting on the event it will be AWSA sanctioned, so.." here's my chance, it's a big one" (Top Gun).

tex
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I rocked the last show ski tourny I was in. 3 event...not so much buddy! Let's just say I was drinking before the 3rd round. I thought there was only 2 rounds. It didn't matter!

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Three round tourneys are great, but hard to find back in my day. My last 3 round tourney, a long long time ago in a city far, far away left me with memories of a college coctail waitress that served me more than drinks. Crazy, but I can't remember how I skied that weekend.

Ric
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
whew, it's been 19 years since I skiid a tournament! how bout dat? .....and I haven't really improved that much over the years :rolleyes:

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I am about the same spot I was at 19 yrs. ago, but had to get it back. If a person can do the things he was doin at 21, at 41, I'll take it. Going for keeping on track to 50 now.

Ric
07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
if I do at 41, the things I was doing at 21 :noface: that would not be a good thing ........... :D

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I completely understand.

cm02WS6
07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Tournaments are a good way to truely measure your ability. There's nothing like having to go out and get a good score without missing right off the dock, especially with all the pressures (timing, preparation, conditions, etc). I got back into tournament skiing (well, really just started) three years ago when I moved and joined a ski club in my town. I'm not the best skier in the world, but I enjoy trying to do better at every tournament. No matter how well prepared I think I am, there's always the round or two when I do absolutely horrible. For example, my first tournament of the year was two weeks ago and I set a new PB of 5@-28 (36 mph) in the first round, and then went out and got a whole 1/2 bouy in the next round! I guess I was a little too excited and shouldn't take the gate at 15 off, 34mph like I do at 28 off, 36 mph!!

Good luck with your tournament, let us know how you did!

PS--where are you located?

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the wishes. I am located in Western Colorado, near the Utah-CO border. Hey, cm02WS6- Do you always open up at 15' 34 mph? I respect the differance between 34 & 36, but I would be tired if I started at 15-34 and skied all the way into 28' or hopefully 32. I used to always find myself a little shorter on breath in a tourney, guess I will see if it still effectsme that way in the A.M.

cm02WS6
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah, usually open at 15-34, or at least lately becuase I've hit a little slump. Two weeks ago I was running my 22's really good and was starting to go off at 15-36, but my 22's have degraded a little so I'm keeing the 15-34 opener for a little while longer. Being between two passes like that also gives me flexibility to change depending on if I want my 22 or 28 with a headwind. I've been told you want your hardest pass to be 3rd or 4th pass, so that's still in the right range. Hopefully I'll start to run those 28's soon and I can get rid of the 15-34 opener!

If you don't normally ski in the morning, be sure to give yourself extra time to stretch out and warm up. I usually ski in the evening, so warming up in the morning can be tough.

h2oskifreak
07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree conditions play a role and you have to be comfortable w/ your opener. I'm an old guy, so 36 mph is not something I have to deal with, but i remember and it is amazing that 2 mph is day & night.

h2oskifreak
07-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I am sorry to report my first tournement performance in 17 years was a bust. I was nervous, but still no excuses. I skied like a boy amongst men. Missed both openers on a pass I haven't missed in 4 weeks. Back to practice and looking forward to redeem myself in 2 weeks.

cm02WS6
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I was hoping to hear that your tournament went better than it did, but I hope you had fun. Tournaments can be extremely frustrating at times, but don't beat on yourself too bad because its a great feeling when you have a good showing. The one mistake that I see myself and other relative tournament newbies doing is going out and being too passive. You have to go out and be aggressive and take it one turn/pull at a time. Don't think about the pass you "want", think about the turn or pull you are at and make sure to execute. I tell myself that "passes don't run themselves" as a way to remind myself not to take a pass for granted.

All that stuff is slowly starting to come around for me. Yesterday was a pretty good tournament, I ran my 28 pass for the first time this year and then got 2@32 for a new PB! I still can't believe how that happened, I guess sometimes the saying "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" holds true!

JohnnyB
07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the love on the fenders. We don't step on them, we've got a few flags in a few placeson the boat, cover, etc., but we definately show respect for "old glory". I hope to at least ski to my abiltiy. I also had one of the best tournement runs followed by a poor performance in the next round. I am sure knowing the guy putting on the event it will be AWSA sanctioned, so.." here's my chance, it's a big one" (Top Gun).

How 'bout a thread with some detail pics of old glory on your boat. From the tiny pic it looked like a decal, not like well done powder coated graphics. Show it off...

h2oskifreak
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
In thinking about my performance, I am sure I just looked at the ball and skied right to it. Glad to hear you did well, congrats. Oh, and JohnnyB, I assure you if you saw them sparkle in the sun, you would know they are not stickers. I am relatively poor on the computer, but I will have my assistant post some pics. of "Old Glory" this week. We had a sticker made to look like the old school Harley Davisson #1 and inserted MasterCraft, I want to show them off also.

BrianM
07-08-2007, 05:33 PM
No tournaments for me yet. I have told myself that I will not ski a tournament until I am skiing 32 off consistently in practice and working on 35off. I am getting closer. I ran a PB this weekend. Finally made a full 36mph 32off pass. :D

André
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
No tournaments for me yet. I have told myself that I will not ski a tournament until I am skiing 32 off consistently in practice and working on 35off. I am getting closer. I ran a PB this weekend. Finally made a full 36mph 32off pass. :D
Congrats on the 32.At 36 mph,this is quite good!!!

bigpack20
07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Good luck in the tourney! I hope you proving to yourself what you need to.

h2oskifreak
07-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes congrats on the 36 mph 32. You should do the tournament just for the experiance.