PDA

View Full Version : Learned a lesson today!

BigBarney
07-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Don't lose your cool!!!! We have had some new resdients move in down our slew this year. They have a big Cobalt and the son zips around in one of those Sea Doo jet boats. Since summer began, they have been flying by our dock - getting within 50 or so feet. We've yelled at them to slow down. Even had our attorney write them a letter after the Sea Doo boat was doing 360's out from our dock. Around Memorial Day, the TWRA wrote the Sea Doo a ticket for reckless driving after we called.

This morning I was sitting at the window getting directions to take my boat in since it ceased to run (in another post). They came zipping by like always. i got hot. A few minutes later, the came back, this time closer to the dock than ever (probably 25 feet). They were looking up at the house laughing. I lost it.

Ran down to the dock, jumped on a Sea Doo, and headed their way (1st mistake). I came around the bend toward their dock too fast (2nd mistake). Had to slam the Sea Doo in reverse. Somehow the nose dove down and I flipped end over end. I came out of the water like Rambo right at their boat. Due to me just losing my $200 sunglasses and being a tad embarassed, I let the guy have it. Told him that I was sick and tired of getting "buzzed". The next time, I was going to fill up my ballast and rock his dock.

After ranting for awhile, I flipped the Sea Doo back over and headed back to the dock. Changed clothes and took off with the boat to the dealership. They were standing up in their driveway. He motioned me to stop. I rolled down the window and he proceeded to tell me how going fast by my dock was better than going by it slow. Then he told me that it was an open lake and he could do whatever he wanted. Said he had other friends that were going to do the same.

I told him again that I was sick and tired of my kids scrambling to get out of the water because of him driving by too close. I told him that I have friends with big boats too. Then he told me that he had called the police and the TWRA. I said I would drive back down to my place and wait. 2 hours later, they came to talk to me. I was honest and told them what I had done. I knew my wrong didn't help things.

They TWRA guy was cool and said let them do their job. Next time it happens, to call them. I said that I would. He said that they were going to press assault charges. Police came and talked to me about that. Apparently they went back and persuaded the guy to let it be.

What have I learned - (1) Even though you may want to handle things yourself, its better to call the people that get paid to handle these situations. (2) Don't ever drive a Sea Doo mad. (3) Don't wear sunglasses while riding a Sea Doo.

Just thought some of you would benefit from this and not make the mistake that I did.

Ryan27r
07-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Honestly I would do the same to him. He wont stop give him hell ie surfing within 50 ft of his dock.

Anyways I hope the fuzz are able to accomplish something. And what was the pompous for the assault charges?

Lennyp04
07-06-2007, 07:23 AM
We get that stuff all the time because we live in the really narrow section of my lake. If im down at the boat and people r goin really slow making that huge wake (ie those cabin cruiser Sea Rays) i just kinda stare them down because before now it was just a boat sitting in the dock...now its a mastercraft so i think things will be different. But yeah i think you did the right thing

let us know if he does it in the future..

RedStar
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I'd be hot as a match, BB. Is the guy too big for you to put a boot in his chute?

(Disclaimer: RedStar encourages nonviolent conflict resolution. Take the guy a 12-pack and talk it over. Heineken is good.)

atlfootr
07-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I think were all have been there, once before :rant:
Cooler heads prevail :cool:

ProTour X9
07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Almost a threadjack: I think you know how seadoos go to close to boarders or skiers. #1 Tell them to stay the legal amount away If they get too close again #2 Chase them like a jetski would chase you, #3 tell them off if that doesnt work chase them all the way around the lake because they aren't gonna get away, all the way to the launch, #4tell their parent (usually the case) what they've done, #5 Be apologized to, or call the cops hoping they will make it in at least an hour.

We don't get cops around here hardly at all, and when they are out the lake is calm as can be. They only caught waverunners once, and I think they were stolen.

OK out of my soapbox, which is what we call the cooler in our boat.

tex
07-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Rock his dock...that would be funny. Not that I condone this action...I just like the phrase. What an idiot he is! Best of luck with that!

Roonie's
07-06-2007, 09:32 AM
We had nearly the same issue. We had a place on a big lake like 3 miles across open water in front of our dock. The neighbor down the way had these obnoxious kids that would get in their boat and buzz our dock close like 50 feet. We would always be yelling at them to back off as we are usually swimming off the end of our dock with kids. They would only taunt us and would do 360's in front of our dock with their boat. Also go fast and jump into the water off their boat. We ended up putting a couple of bouy's off the end of the dock. It seemed to keep most of the trouble makers away. After all there was a lot of open water off the end of the dock to use.

tex
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Not to make fun of your situation BB...I just have this picture in my head of this guy standing on his dock as a loaded down Mastercraft rolls by at maximum wake speed filled up with Skeeler's friends and being driven by a big purple Barney! That's rocking a dock!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry Barney, but the Rambo comment just got me laughing. I was picturing it in my mind, after going arse over tincups off the Seadoo, it was just funny.

Hope things work out for you. Try this: Video tape that bonehead while he is buzzing your dock and give that to the cops, then see what happens. maybe some video proof will get them to push their thumb down on him.

bcampbe7
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Dang BB! Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with these idiots.

I'll give you a call, I have an idea... ;)

Ric
07-06-2007, 10:16 AM
It's true.. There is one in every neighborhood.

Although I might have gotten some enjoyment from you crashing the sea doo :o

msetexas
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
BigB

We've all been there - and when it's happening (whatever it is), man it's hard to contain yourself in the heat of the moment. Your situation sucks and I hope it is settled sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the reminder on keeping cool. Next time I'm about to lose mine, I'll just think of tex's description and hopefully laugh rather than go off.

Not to make fun of your situation BB...I just have this picture in my head of this guy standing on his dock as a loaded down Mastercraft rolls by at maximum wake speed filled up with Skeeler's friends and being driven by a big purple Barney! That's rocking a dock!

Willski
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
It probably kind of stole your fire when you pulled your "out the front" on the sea doo! It is hard not to get mad when people are doing stupid s*** like that. I almost lost it one night. We were anchored (after dark)on the river about 30 feet outside of a channel marker, and some dumb b***ard decides to come full speed between me and the marker. WHY. My friends in the boat made fun of me because I was eating a subway sandwich and they swear I spit black olives into the guy's boat!

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
We ended up putting a couple of bouy's off the end of the dock. It seemed to keep most of the trouble makers away. After all there was a lot of open water off the end of the dock to use.

You beat me to that suggestion. Despite the fact that they have no business driving so close to the docks, like the guy said, it's a public lake. Short of calling the water cops every time, some big orange buoys about 25 ' off the dock to rope off a swim area for the kids isn't a bad idea at all.

msetexas
07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
BB:

I just keep thinking about these idiot neighbors of yours. I know why you are so upset - it's not only what they are doing, but also that they've continued to do it after you first talked to them.

The most frustrating thing is when people intentionally continue to knowingly infringe on someone else. I can forgive fools who don't know any better, but once it's been explained and they refuse to listen/learn, it gets real ugly real fast.

I've made my share of mistakes due to ignorance in many areas of life and when someone points it out, I apologize and thank them for showing me a better way. But these guys........grrr......

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
BB:

I just keep thinking about these idiot neighbors of yours. I know why you are so upset - it's not only what they are doing, but also that they've continued to do it after you first talked to them.

The most frustrating thing is when people intentionally continue to knowingly infringe on someone else. I can forgive fools who don't know any better, but once it's been explained and they refuse to listen/learn, it gets real ugly real fast.

I've made my share of mistakes due to ignorance in many areas of life and when someone points it out, I apologize and thank them for showing me a better way. But these guys........grrr......

Nothing gets results faster than a gift basket full of cheese, crackers, flowers, assorted bath oils, and a few water mocassins underneath.

/I kid! I kid!

07-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Nothing gets results faster than a gift basket full of cheese, crackers, flowers, assorted bath oils, and a few water mocassins underneath.

/I kid! I kid!
Ooo! I knew it Eastie!! I can feel it, you have hate, you have anger, but you dont use them. You must embrace a wider understanding of the force. Let me teach you the darkside.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2002/coming.attractions/interactive/starwars/palpatine.jpg

JohnnyB
07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
In general, the best way to difuse situations like this is to go engage them in a calm conversation so that they understand your concerns (which I think are very valid) and the laws. There are many safety hazards to both the rider of the jet ski and the people on and around your dock when they are that close.

I don't want to offend you, but in reading your story (maybe you didn't start from the beginning), instead of talking to them being step 1, you went right to yelling at them and then sending a letter from your attorney. That would immediately elevated it to a pissing match......harder to resolve.

However, based on the type of people you're describing (the dreadful permanent wally), even if you did explain it to them they wouldn't get it!!! That has happened to me in the past, at which point I resort to calling the DNR, etc.

Good luck with your situation.

BigBarney
07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I know at least 5 times before yesterday that we asked them to either slow down or head out of the slew further out from out dock. It's a pretty wide slew (75-100 yards wide). They have room.

Had our attorney send the letter around Memorial Day. So they have had several weeks to curb their behavior. I always got the same response that they would. Found out today that the red Sea Doo boat (the dad's 20 something year old punk rides around in that) has been ticketed multiple times this year for wreckless driving.

Around Memorial Day, they were doing 360's out from our dock. I was riding in on the Sea Doo - saw them - and headed their way. Asked the guy to take it out in the lake. His response was, "My towel flew out and I was picking it up". I then asked the question why did he do 3 complete 360's in a row to pick up a towel that would sink with all that wake. No answer.

On the 4th, my brother-in-law had tied his boat to the dock while we ate lunch. They were coming into the slew past our dock pulling a tube, making a sharp turn, and heading out. No reason for it when they have open water. BIL headed down, got in his boat, and stopped them. He asked POLITELY if they minded not doing that because it was banging his boat. The guy said, "Why don't I just pack up and move to a different lake so you can have this all to yourself!" What do you say to something like that....

On the Rambo picture, add a whole dip of Skoal running down my jaw/shirt, eyes foggy, hat sideways. I'm even getting myself tickled!!!

BigBarney
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
BC7 - you need to come by this weekend. We'll take pictures of them driving by and heave oranges their way!!!

Leroy
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I bet your neighbor was the kid in school that taunted you and then yelled for the teacher when he was about to get beat up! ;)

bcampbe7
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
BC7 - you need to come by this weekend. We'll take pictures of them driving by and heave oranges their way!!!

I have one of those huge balloon launcher sling-shot things. We could launch them from your dock! :D

footerj
07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
i would not recomend putting anything out in the water that would resemble a semerged post or tree stup that might puncture the hull of such jet or cobalt boats of such careless drivers :-) that would just be unheard off. haha

Roonie's
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Get a potato gun. Those things will leave a mark and I can guarantee they will not come close again. However they would probably file assault charges rightly so. Another idea is water balloons filled with hot sauce and water but may cause PWC to crash. Another idea is a paint gun as those things sting like a mother. Again all options that will only escalate your situation but fun to think about.

WilliM1940
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Buy a big ugly old POS boat and moor it off your dock by 30 feet or so.

footerj
07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
heres an idea why dosent all of the concerned MC members show up to this mans door step and demand to speak to him and his devil child and then ask them nicely as a group to be considerate of their actions. :-)
just a possiblity.....

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I have one of those huge balloon launcher sling-shot things. We could launch them from your dock! :D

Bag o' snakes makes good sling shot ammo! Just leave a slit in the front of the bags to get a good scatter (and then another good scatter when they end up in his boat).

rlivingood
07-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I say swim over with a hand drill and a 1" bit when no one is around. Sneek in and plug both boat and do ;-) just kidding, maybe

07-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Bag o' snakes makes good sling shot ammo! Just leave a slit in the front of the bags to get a good scatter (and then another good scatter when they end up in his boat).
HEY! Bag O' snakes!! you must remember Ernest Mainway, of Mainway toys. old Dan Akroyd SNL sketch, the slimey 70's car salesman type of shifty character with his "Bag o' " line of toys. Bag O' broken glass, Bag O' vipers, Bag O' sulfuric acid, and his action figure, "Johnny switchblade adventure punk". :uglyhamme: I love that sketch!!

07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I say swim over with a hand drill and a 1" bit when no one is around. Sneek in and plug both boat and do ;-) just kidding, maybe
Ooo! sneak in like William Holden in Bridge on the River Kwai! What a concept!! :worthy: Dont forget to get some cute asian chicks to rub camo paint all over you first like they did.;) 8p

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
HEY! Bag O' snakes!! you must remember Ernest Mainway, of Mainway toys. old Dan Akroyd SNL sketch, the slimey 70's car salesman type of shifty character with his "Bag o' " line of toys. Bag O' broken glass, Bag O' vipers, Bag O' sulfuric acid, and his action figure, "Johnny switchblade adventure punk". :uglyhamme: I love that sketch!!

Vaguely. Must remember to youtube that one later.

07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Vaguely. Must remember to youtube that one later.
Its awesome, Candice Bergen was interviewing him criticizing his toys as they are dangerous for children, and he was defending his toy line and showing how conventional toys were more dangerous. Hilarious!!:D

Farmer Ted
07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
just set up a video camera on a tripod, record it and turn it in

Doug G
07-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Buoys were my first thought too. A no wake buoy is my thought but not sure if you can do that where you are. A strategic piece of lake "debris" is my "would love to do but really can't" recommendation.

How bout a double up , hang time comp by his dock? I'm sure you could scare up some volunteers to participate. That could be followed up by a best stereo comp, mixed of course with some wake surfing with all rollers pointed at his dock. We could make this CSM A(Cobalt Self-absorbed Maroon Abuse) 1.1

P.S. I'm still chuckling at the flippin, skoal dripping Rambo :D

07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
P.S. I'm still chuckling at the flippin, skoal dripping Rambo :D
Me too!!! that was just too funny of a mental image!:cool:

JohnnyB
07-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I know at least 5 times before yesterday that we asked them to either slow down or head out of the slew further out from out dock. It's a pretty wide slew (75-100 yards wide). They have room.

Had our attorney send the letter around Memorial Day. So they have had several weeks to curb their behavior. I always got the same response that they would. Found out today that the red Sea Doo boat (the dad's 20 something year old punk rides around in that) has been ticketed multiple times this year for wreckless driving.

Around Memorial Day, they were doing 360's out from our dock. I was riding in on the Sea Doo - saw them - and headed their way. Asked the guy to take it out in the lake. His response was, "My towel flew out and I was picking it up". I then asked the question why did he do 3 complete 360's in a row to pick up a towel that would sink with all that wake. No answer.

On the 4th, my brother-in-law had tied his boat to the dock while we ate lunch. They were coming into the slew past our dock pulling a tube, making a sharp turn, and heading out. No reason for it when they have open water. BIL headed down, got in his boat, and stopped them. He asked POLITELY if they minded not doing that because it was banging his boat. The guy said, "Why don't I just pack up and move to a different lake so you can have this all to yourself!" What do you say to something like that....

On the Rambo picture, add a whole dip of Skoal running down my jaw/shirt, eyes foggy, hat sideways. I'm even getting myself tickled!!!

OK, LOL...they don't get it :mad: