View Full Version : FAQ came through

07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I had a dramatic leak and finally this evening took the boat apart to find the source. Sure enough, excessive water was coming from the shaft log packing nut area. I followed the instructions for adjustment and sure enough the leak stopped. I let the boat sit in the water for 15 min (enough time yesterday for a lot of water to get in) and still no water. I put my floor back in, put the engine cover on and took my son skiing. After a couple times around the lake, i hit the bilge just for the satisfaction of nothing coming out, and to my surprise i had a lot of water. I put the boat on the lift, pulled the plug and cranked it up.
I'm hoping my problem is that i didn't tighten the jam nut tight enough. I hand tightened the shaft log packing nut.
Can someone verify that my theory of not having the jam nut tight enough allowed the packing nut to loosen again. I just want to go to sleep feeling like I have hope.:)

east tx skier
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Are you sure the leak was from the shaft packing? Just for grins, leave your access panel loose and put the boat in the water and look for leaks around the muffler. You want a little drip from the packing at idle. It'll drip a bit more at higher rpms. But with the engine not running, it shouldn't drip at all. I'd bet muffler if you added new packing and still have a leak.

07-06-2007, 05:43 AM
I lowered the boat into the water, and the amount of water coming from the packing was steady rather than just a drip. The exhaust stayed dry.

07-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Brad; Sorry to say, I think you need new packing.

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
That'll be $0.42 and about 15 minutes of work. :)

07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I've got the packing from Action and will re-pack tomorrow prior to the crowd arriving.
I'm supposed to take "Zach" from Saved by the bell for a boat ride and maybe a pull tomorrow night, hopefully the packing comes together alright.

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Just remember to stagger the butt joints. In a pinch, you can get the old stuff out with a cork screw and a pair of needle nosed pliers.

07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, I replaced the packing, but due to some cross threading, the job took much longer than it should have. Adjusted the Nut to one drip every 10-15 seconds. But I still had a ton of water coming in.
Yesterday I had the boat on the lift and went underneath (why I didn't do this before is just idiotic) the front tracking fin was very loose.
I tightened the fin and spent the whole day pulling the kids with minimal bilge pump useage.
I must have bumped that front fin one too many times bringing it on the lift. I'll have to adjust my bunks.