PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Nightmare

Maristar210
07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6750403

ProTour X9
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Yup steve I was just watching it. Hi, I've been enjoying my summer too much to be on here....

trickskier
07-05-2007, 07:32 PM
That's absolutely HORRIBLE..............A young mans life is ruined because some STUPID wally wasn't paying attention and ran over him!!! :mad:

Sodar
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
OUCH!! That is painful!!

Prostar in Michigain
07-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Would u guys drop charges?

trickskier
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
HUH???..............

Sodar
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM

I think you mean press charges!!!

HUH???..............

HA HA HA HA!!!

Chief
07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I would find out where the driver lived go to his house and chop his leg off with a dull axe. No Joking!

Prostar in Michigain
07-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Opps i mean press charges

bigmac
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Opps i mean press chargesDo you mean sue the other driver? You can be absolutely 100% certain that that will happen.

ProTour X9
07-05-2007, 10:10 PM
that is too bad..... how many 19 foot boats are offered in the marine market..... It gets busy as **** around here and you have to be on your toes.........

sanjuan23
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Just another example of why I avoid the lakes around here on the holiday weekends. As if we really had a choice as of late.

Jerseydave
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
We try to avoid crowded areas, ride early mornings or evenings after work. Too many inattentive boat drivers out there.

Last year a wakeboarder in Maryland got run over by a second boat after a fall.............he died. :(

ProTour X9
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
:eek: :eek: ATTENTION The wave runner had NO watcher, and the boat that hit the kid was a MASTERCRAFT 19ft!!!:eek3: :eek3:

bigmac
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
:eek: :eek: ATTENTION The wave runner had NO watcher, and the boat that hit the kid was a MASTERCRAFT 19ft!!!:eek3: :eek3:Oops. An observer is required in Michigan for any vessel towing a skier/boarder/tuber, including PWC's. Gonna be a lot harder to pin the whole blame on the guy that hit him.

ProTour X9
07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Oops. An observer is required in Michigan for any vessel towing a skier/boarder/tuber, including PWC's. Gonna be a lot harder to pin the whole blame on the guy that hit him.

Yeah you'll see guys around here (by themselves on a jetski) that either look back too much and hit a boat or always look forward and leave their tubers WAYYYY behind:mad:

Farmer Ted
07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
:eek: :eek: ATTENTION The wave runner had NO watcher, and the boat that hit the kid was a MASTERCRAFT 19ft!!!:eek3: :eek3:

where did you see/hear that a MasterCraft was involved?

ProTour X9
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Fox News @ 10:00 wxmi.com

bigmac
07-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah you'll see guys around here (by themselves on a jetski) that either look back too much and hit a boat or always look forward and leave their tubers WAYYYY behind:mad:In Minnesota, an observer isn't needed if the PWC has factory mirrors installed. Personally, I think that's a bad idea.

Sodar
07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
In Minnesota, an observer isn't needed if the PWC has factory mirrors installed. Personally, I think that's a bad idea.

That is a very bad idea! Does that mean that an MC with a factory installed mirror is permissible also! Personally, I think that pulling people behind a PWC is dangerous. First, the throttles on those are very sensitive, making it dangerous, especially when it is rough. Second, you have the observer sitting backwards on a 10' water rocker with very little restrain or hand holds and a line shooting out between the observers legs. What if the observer fell off the PWC and onto the line... just seems very dangerous to me.

bigmac
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
That is a very bad idea! Does that mean that an MC with a factory installed mirror is permissible also! Personally, I think that pulling people behind a PWC is dangerous. First, the throttles on those are very sensitive, making it dangerous, especially when it is rough. Second, you have the observer sitting backwards on a 10' water rocker with very little restrain or hand holds and a line shooting out between the observers legs. What if the observer fell off the PWC and onto the line... just seems very dangerous to me.

Observers aren't required for boats in Minnesota either as long as there is a mirror "providing a wide field of vision". Doesn't have to be factory, unlike PWC's here.

So, yes. An MC with a typical ski mirror is permissible for towing without an observer. Did that just this morning.

trickskier
07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Observers aren't required for boats in Minnesota either as long as there is a mirror "providing a wide field of vision". Doesn't have to be factory, unlike PWC's here.

So, yes. An MC with a typical ski mirror is permissible for towing without an observer. Did that just this morning.
Same applies here in Florida................

cmack
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I had a situation last week. My wife was skiing and fell. When I rounded to turn around another boat that was on a parallel course but behind us, changed direction and was going straight for her. I pinned the boat -- and got in front of her then laid on the horn. After a few seconds the guy finally changed course. It really scared me.
I guess the X1 has a rev limiter because it stalled. I'm very glad that everyone in the boat was sitting down. I think I would have pitched them out the back if not.
We also were out on July 4th morning. A jet ski is all over the place and following while Eva (wife) is skiing. At the same time, a Mastercraft ( I dont know the make but is was a ski not wake boat) flying a big American flag was heading diagonal right for the boat. On the other side of me was a parked boat -- So I was boxed in. Not sure actually what to do in that situation but I killed the boat and reeled her in as fast as possible while yelling at the jet ski.
I guess I am starting to get an education on just how crazy people are on the water.
We have changed our schedule because of this and trying to be off the lake by noon.

ProTour X9
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Now it seems the observer in the 2nd boat supposedly an MC, was in the wrong position.

I'm thinking: What the heck does that matter, the observers supposed to be watching behind not forward.

ProTour X9
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
OK I FOUND IT GO TO TUBING ACCIDENT (http://fox17.trb.com/news/)

Maristar210
07-06-2007, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth and and not to detract from this seriousness of this you can obtain a "no observer permit" if you take the expert class and become certifed. There are three men on my river that have these permits and tow regularly without an observer. Keep in mind were talking 6:00 am course skiing not wally tube rider at 5:00pm. Just fyi X9 and others...

ProTour X9
07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
For what it's worth and and not to detract from this seriousness of this you can obtain a "no observer permit" if you take the expert class and become certifed. There are three men on my river that have these permits and tow regularly without an observer. Keep in mind were talking 6:00 am course skiing not wally tube rider at 5:00pm. Just fyi X9 and others...

Yup I know, my mom and dad had those permits but didn't "subscribe" again.:(

trickskier
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Not sure actually what to do in that situation but I killed the boat and reeled her in as fast as possible while yelling at the jet ski.
I guess I am starting to get an education on just how crazy people are on the water.
We have changed our schedule because of this and trying to be off the lake by noon.

You did EXACTLY what you should have done STOP!!! ..........It's obvious that you were the only one paying attention to what was going on around you.........In Florida it is illegal for PWC's or another boat to jump another boats wake..............Unfortunately, the FWC is never around when you need them................So if I'm pulling a skiier and another boat is too close I stop and as politely as I can ask them not to follow my boat...............If that doesn't work I get their FL number and wait for the FWC to launch..........;)

I go as early as possible and usually pull out or anchor when the wally's start showing up..............Some people need an audience to ski..........I don't............;)

ProTour X9
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
yup "when in doubt, throttle out"