PDA

View Full Version : Boat Has Been Sitting for Long Time / What should I do??

DLM
07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
My first post on this board, I am glad I found it, lots of good information.

I have a 2005 Master X2 That has been in storage for 2 years. I am getting ready to pull it out and was wondering if I should take it in for a service or just charge the battery and run it. There is very little fuel in the tank so I can dilute with 90% fresh fuel. Is this OK or am I asking for trouble? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

RedStar
07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Let 'er rip, man.

Sodar
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM

I have a 2005 Master X2 That has been in storage for 2 years. I am getting ready to pull it out and was wondering if I should take it in for a service or just charge the battery and run it. There is very little fuel in the tank so I can dilute with 90% fresh fuel. Is this OK or am I asking for trouble? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I would take it in to have the fluids changed, the impeller changed and just have them look over everything. That way, you know your chances for problems are much less likely!!

Have Fun and Welcome!! I cannot believe you have a 2005 that has been sitting for 2 years... how many hours are on it??

RexDog1
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Change all the fluids, charge the batters and make sure the hold the charge
And change, the Impeller, look over your wires mice and rat chews
Look at all your ropes, and safety equipment

etduc
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM

1. Change oil and filter
2. Drain fuel rail, or line to Throttle body.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Remove plugs, squirt a mist of engine oil in cyclinder. Install new plugs.
5. Remove as much old fuel, as possible, before adding new fuel.
6. Replace impellar.

Main issue is fuel, degrading, becoming a varnish-like substance, affecting fuel injectors. The rest is basic maintenance. Things age and degrade sitting.

True enough, charging the battery and fuel, may get it started. But it won't run well.

Jerseydave
07-05-2007, 11:20 PM

Sounds like alot of work ahead of you...........you should just write it off as a loss and sell it to me! :) Nobody wants a 2 year old X-2 that's just been sitting around! :) :)

J/K...so what's the story about it, why was it just sitting and how many hours are on it?

east tx skier
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
1. Change oil and filter
2. Drain fuel rail, or line to Throttle body.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Remove plugs, squirt a mist of engine oil in cyclinder. Install new plugs.
5. Remove as much old fuel, as possible, before adding new fuel.
6. Replace impellar.

Main issue is fuel, degrading, becoming a varnish-like substance, affecting fuel injectors. The rest is basic maintenance. Things age and degrade sitting.

True enough, charging the battery and fuel, may get it started. But it won't run well.

This sounds like the way to go (plus, check the wires, hoses, exhaust pipes for rodent nests, etc. I'd add some sea foam to the new gas to see if you can get some of that varnish out of there.

Don't just hit the water.

JDK
07-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Let 'er rip, man.

I'm with RedStar.
2 years isn't that long to sit. Hopefully the oil was changed at the end of the last season it was run. Charge the battery(s), change the impeller fuel 'er up (maybe add a can of SeaFoam) and have at it.
If it was running well the last time you used it, it will most likey run just as well when you start it up.

mayo93prostar
07-06-2007, 08:18 AM
I still want to know why it sat for 2 years! It must be like brand new. remember, we all like pics on this forum.

Leroy
07-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Mine sat for 2 years also, 2002 and 2003. If you did a good winterization that helps, also mine was in climate controlled storage, IF you werew outside with condensation opportunity, snow, water, it can open up another bag of worms.

I had the professionals summarize it that time and mine started on the first touch of the key.

Etduc put it pretty well.

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm with RedStar.
2 years isn't that long to sit. Hopefully the oil was changed at the end of the last season it was run. Charge the battery(s), change the impeller fuel 'er up (maybe add a can of SeaFoam) and have at it.
If it was running well the last time you used it, it will most likey run just as well when you start it up.

Because of the draught we had last year, my local dealer has had a ton of boats in for service that were on lifts and were never dewinterized last year. They didn't go into too many specifics, but there were a lot of boats with problems. That said, I don't know that those problems would be eliminated by doing a little preventative maintenance before heading out, but I can't help but think that changing the oil and the transmission fluid, both of which have been sitting for two years, would be a good idea. Apart from that, as others have said, the old gas is the thing that would worry me the most.

RexDog1
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
There is plenty of controversy about whether gas fuel tanks should be empty or full at layup and you can find reasonable arguments for either condition. However, the argument for leaving them full overlooks the fact that modern gasolines go bad much too fast and six months is FAR too long. Old gas will definitely harm fuel injected MPI systems. Moreover, diesel oil is subject to bacterial blooms and oxidation as well.
Condensation developing in the tank is a much over-rated problem and here is the reason why: An empty tank contains a limited number of cubic feet of air, and therefore water vapor that could possibly condense. Air does not flow in and out through those tiny vents, plus you can always tape the vents over if that bothers you. The amount of water vapor in the tank comes to several ounces. However, if you have good Racor, Dahl or similar filters (which you should) these will easily be able to handle that amount of water. Smaller canister filters will be strained to get that much water out, but the large types like Fram cartridge filters can handle it.
What about fuel stabilizers, biocides etc.? While I'm not a petroleum chemist, I do know that these potions have a less than spectacular record of success. Personally, I'm not a believer in miracles sold in a can.
Therefore for both gas and diesel boats, it is best to arrange your fuel situation that the tanks be as empty as possible before you take the boat to the yard. Old fuel is a greater problem than a little water in the tanks.
Should tanks be completely drained for the winter? No, that isn't necessary. Besides, if you do, you'll have to refill them from 5 gallon cans in the spring which is messy, hard work and dangerous with gasoline. Leave just enough to get the engines started in spring and get to a fuel dock.
The old fuel left in the fuel lines is one of the reasons we have so much trouble getting engines started in the spring. In the spring you can bring a gallon of fresh fuel and prime the filters with it for easier starting.

Bottom line…. your gas tank should be completely drained of the old gas……..:twocents:

RedStar
07-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Doesn't the name fossil fuel suggest that the gas is old already?

Gas 'n go, son.

6ballsisall
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Whoever said run it like you brung it should try that on their boat before making a statement like that to a guy asking for help.......

Change the oil, gas, filters, trans fluid, impeller, etc.....

2 years is a long time. That gas for sure is worthless in a boat that requires a decent octane.

Dooker
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Gas 'n go, son.

thats the only advice the dook wood follow. red yer my kinda guy. yer all logicul and stuff. you jus speak muh langwij. Im thinkin bout relocatin near yu man. i can buy sum cheap beer and pi$$ in yer gas tank. then we can gas & go daddyo!

RedStar
07-06-2007, 05:12 PM
thats the only advice the dook wood follow. red yer my kinda guy. yer all logicul and stuff. you jus speak muh langwij. Im thinkin bout relocatin near yu man. i can buy sum cheap beer and pi$$ in yer gas tank. then we can gas & go daddyo!

Dam, son. You just get out of jail? You ain't used that Dooker tag since Feb.
How'd you do without soap on a rope?:D

Dooker
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Dam, son. You just get out of jail? You ain't used that Dooker tag since Feb.
How'd you do without soap on a rope?:D

that teckneek you told me bout wurked good. took me to muh happy place. Backdoor Bubba sez to tell you what up.

RedStar
07-06-2007, 05:27 PM
that teckneek you told me bout wurked good. took me to muh happy place. Backdoor Bubba sez to tell you what up.

Good for you. Did u spit R swallow?:rolleyes:

Dooker
07-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Good for you. Did u spit R swallow?:rolleyes:

when i found out he nu you, i didnt want to get between you to fellas.

BriEOD
07-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Dook!! What's up buddy. You and Toolman still hanging out with Rod?

Dooker
07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
rod take to good a care a his boat fer me tah be bes buds wit him. wont let me bring silas (pet pig) in it. makes me wizz in the water stead of in the bilge. redstar is muh new buddy. he noze that takin care a thangs is for loosers. just burn it up and hit it with a hammer whin it starts smokin. its like muh daddy used to tell me .. im not much fer takin care of things now dont call me no more. daddy wuz smrt. ol redstars rite up thar with daddy dook.

Young Timer
07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
What is two years sitting when the stuff has been sitting around for like a million years already. I'm wit you Redstar!

Gas 'n go, son.