PDA

View Full Version : oil shelf life

floridamastercraft
07-05-2007, 02:35 PM
what is oil shelf life?

mika
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
if it is unopened I would assume quite a long time. if it has been opened I would consider where it was stored (hudmitiy levels). If you are concerned or have any doubts just buy new and save the old oil for something like the lawn mower or to oil door hinges. Oil is cheap so just buy new if you are worried.

trickskier
07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
what is oil self life?
Do you mean shelf life???

Rich_G
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
there is no expiration date on a can of oil. I heard "Click & Clack"..., the Car Talk guys on PBS radio talk about this one time. It took a couple million years for the carbon based material to become oil, and then we are worried about it going bad in a couple of years. As long as it it the correct grade, specs, etc, it is fine.

mika
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree, it took millions of year to come into being, however all the additives may have a shelf life, but still the life would be many many years. I would only be concerned of dirt or something contaminating the oil

bigmac
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Modern oils don't break down, but their additives can undergo oxidation. In addition, there is particulate contamination. Also, condensation inside the bottle can form a surface layer of water that will support bacterial grown. Freezing can cause otherwise insoluble materials in the oil to precipitate. High heat of about 50 degrees C. or more can increase the rate of oxidation.

So, if you keep your oil in a sealed container in a cool, dry, indoor location, you'd likely be good for 5 years.

Bear in mind that if you have oil in your garage that's 5 years old, it likely won't meet API specifications required by your vehicle's engine mfgr unless your engine is older than the oil. IOW, a 5 year old oil that meets SJ may be perfectly good oil, but it isn't the right choice for your 2007 MCX.

trickskier
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I knew if anybody knew, you would bigmac...........:D

Prostar Rich
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
check this out.

http://www.fammllc.com/famm/publications/lubes_bulletins_01.pdf

Prostar Rich

bigmac
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
check this out.

http://www.fammllc.com/famm/publications/lubes_bulletins_01.pdf

Prostar Rich

Wax and sediment precipitation is very unlikely in modern oils, the majority of which undergo catalytic cracking to create Group II base stock. Likewise the point of catalytic refining is the need for fewer addtitives, especially viscosity index improvers which are the component vastly most likely to undergo oxidation and breakdown. In that regard, Group III synthetic oil are even more stable and likely to have an even better shelf life. Although that website's warning about oil sitting a long time being obsolete in a current engine application is a good point.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
It's hard to believe some auto manufacturers are up to 15,000 mile service intervals.

I think we were all assuming he (floridamastercraft) was talking about motor oil. Perhaps, he has a bottle of Marvel's mystery oil, Amsoil, or maybe some PB Blaster and wants to know how long it's good for.