PDA

View Full Version : Houseboating checklist

dougl
07-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Heading to Lake Shasta next week on a houseboat with several families (2 houseboats, 4 boats - only 1 MC). It's been about 10 years since we were last on a houseboat ( no kids) so the only thing we had to worry about was to bring enough booze. This time there's going to be lots of kids (7-13yrs old). We're bring Kayak's, pop-up shade, a couple tents, inflatable island, water-guns, board/card games.

What other things should we bring to keep everyone happy? What about those you wish you brought after you're already out there (besides your own personal gas tanker, $4.40/gal on the lake last I checked). Thanks...

rodltg2
07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
holiday harbor has the cheapest gas

Sodar
07-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Thats where we stay!!

dougl
07-05-2007, 02:12 PM

We're taking wakeboard lessons out of HH and thats what they said, it's good to get independent confirmation.

Sodar
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Heading to Lake Shasta next week on a houseboat with several families (2 houseboats, 4 boats - only 1 MC). It's been about 10 years since we were last on a houseboat ( no kids) so the only thing we had to worry about was to bring enough booze. This time there's going to be lots of kids (7-13yrs old). We're bring Kayak's, pop-up shade, a couple tents, inflatable island, water-guns, board/card games.

What other things should we bring to keep everyone happy? What about those you wish you brought after you're already out there (besides your own personal gas tanker, $4.40/gal on the lake last I checked). Thanks...

So far your list looks great... Rafts were always huge. We also used to bring a few BZ Surfboards (the foam ones). Those were always a huge hit to go paddle with and explore, but it sounds like kayaks would serve the same purpose.

Whenever we houseboat, we cheat a little and bring along a gasoline transfer pump. We would just siphon fuel out of the houseboat, to fill the ski boats and then fill the houseboat up every time we would move to a different spot... it worked out quite well.

dougl
07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
... Whenever we houseboat, we cheat a little and bring along a gasoline transfer pump. We would just siphon fuel out of the houseboat, to fill the ski boats and then fill the houseboat up every time we would move to a different spot... it worked out quite well.

We considered buying a bunch of the plastic gas cans and filling them up before we got to the lake, but didn't think the hassle was worth the savings. I guess OPEC contributions are just part of boating..

Sodar
07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
We considered buying a bunch of the plastic gas cans and filling them up before we got to the lake, but didn't think the hassle was worth the savings. I guess OPEC contributions are just part of boating..

Actually, most houseboat rental places do not let you bring gas cans on board... you have to keep them on the boats until you get away from the marina...

André
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Actually, most houseboat rental places do not let you bring gas cans on board... you have to keep them on the boats until you get away from the marina...
That's a useful info...:)

Sodar
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
That's a useful info...:)

I gotta stop doing that!! :o

André
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I gotta stop doing that!! :o
No,no it's ok since you're the one with the most houseboating vacations experience.
But you gotta to post in the swimsuit thread in exchange...