PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac LQ9

tru-jack
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Anyone who owns a 190 or 197 have any comments on fuel consumption difference with the LQ9 vs. the MCX for 34mph slalom course skiing? Any difference in weight? performance? longevity? thanks. I have searched but there is limited info on this engine.

Sodar
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone who owns a 190 or 197 have any comments on fuel consumption difference with the LQ9 vs. the MCX for 34mph slalom course skiing? Any difference in weight? performance? longevity? thanks. I have searched but there is limited info on this engine.

I do not know on fuel consumption, but the LQ9 requires premium, which adds about $5 to every fill-up... not enought to matter in my opinion!

shepherd
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't have a comparison, but the LQ9 in my '03 197 burned around 5 - 6 gallons per hour on the meter the last (and only) time I measured it. The boat is only used for 34 mph slalom course skiing. And yes, it requires premium fuel. But like Sodar says, that only adds up to about $5 per full tank fill-up.

Maybe someone here can give you numbers for their MCX.

Sodar
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't have a comparison, but the LQ9 in my '03 197 burned around 5 - 6 gallons per hour on the meter the last (and only) time I measured it. The boat is only used for 34 mph slalom course skiing. And yes, it requires premium fuel. But like Sodar says, that only adds up to about $5 per full tank fill-up.

Maybe someone here can give you numbers for their MCX.

My numbers are IDENTICAL to yours on my MCX. I get about 5-6 hours of run time per tank, which equates to about 5 or 6 gallons per hour...

03 35th Anniversary
07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I have been using mine for barefootin. It seem to get about the same (5-6 Gallons per-hr). Unless I start hammering the top of the throttle, then with the S/C it just runs out the tail pipes.

shepherd
07-05-2007, 11:55 AM
My numbers are IDENTICAL to yours on my MCX. I get about 5-6 hours of run time per tank, which equates to about 5 or 6 gallons per hour...

Interesting. How do you use your boat? Mine is mostly at idle, with fequent 20 - 30 second 34 mph runs. Other than that, it's the 5 minute each way round trip to the boat ramp at 35 - 40 mph.

(In other words, I'm not chasing bikini-clad slimmies up and down the lake all day! 8p -- j/k ;) )

tru-jack
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks guys, so other than the premium fuel, it's very similar to the mcx. I think I read somewhere it does not have as strong of a holeshot as the mcx due to the torque curve. I'm sure the holeshot is plenty powerful enough? thanks

Sodar
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Interesting. How do you use your boat? Mine is mostly at idle, with fequent 20 - 30 second 34 mph runs. Other than that, it's the 5 minute each way round trip to the boat ramp at 35 - 40 mph.

(In other words, I'm not chasing bikini-clad slimmies up and down the lake all day! 8p -- j/k ;) )

My boat is pretty much used exclusively as a slalom tractor. We ski off our dock, up and down the river and finish back at the dock. Occassionally, I will load the boat up and go for a wakeboard or slalom run, but not normally. When I do though, I see my gas consumption rise quite dramatically.

I do not chase in my boat... mine sits on the trailer ALOT and my brother's boat gets used for cruising! My boat just does not ride well enough, so it is used in the mornings and evenings and is a trailer or buoy queen the rest of the day! Plus, it is easier to photographic the slimmies when you are not driving!! :D

shepherd
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
thanks guys, so other than the premium fuel, it's very similar to the mcx. I think I read somewhere it does not have as strong of a holeshot as the mcx due to the torque curve. I'm sure the holeshot is plenty powerful enough? thanks

more than enough with the powerslot, probably even without

2RLAKE
07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I had a '02 TT LQ9 and powerslot ... probably used a little more gas than my MCX but not much .... I'd give anything (well not $6000) for an LQ9 ... fantastic engine