PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake

clevan
07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
The wife and I are headed for Norris Lake in August to meet a group of friends for a week of fun on the water. I would appreciate any advice/info/suggestions on the lake. We will be staying in the Deerfield Resort.

OhioProstar
07-04-2007, 10:49 PM
I was just there for four days, getting home this afternoon. It is a nice resort with everything from Condos to large houses on the lake. We stayed in a large house with a lake view and it was about a 5 minute ride to the marina. There you will have to face a $8/day launch fee and a $5/day trailer storage fee. The storage fee is charged whether you leave your trailer over night or not. You can rent slips, but I pulled the boat every night, which seemed to not be the norm. There is a little Tiki bar at the marina, but no gas. You will need to go right around the bend to Peninsula for gas on the water or tow to Fast Freddie (real name) off the resort. There you can also get general groceries and pop/beer. We had a great time and put 20 hours on the boat. Drove/got lost for about 120 miles one day according to our friends jetski. The MC did all that in one tank, while our other friends had to fill up their Rinker mid-trip. Hope this helps.

dwvktm450
07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I stayed at Deerfield just a couple weeks ago. The boat launch and parking is a bit of a pain. If your place comes with a boat dock, or you get a slip for the week you will be much better off. Then you can leave your trailer in the storage lot and not worry about it.

The lake is enormous and has many places to go.
Depending on where you are at in Deerfield, the place is pretty big, you can get gas at Shanghai, or Sugar Hollow. Many of the houses in Deerfeild are in the same cove as Sugar Hollow. It is before you get to a bridge that many people like to jump off of.

We would stop and eat at a few of the Marinas. Shanghai and Sequoyah have pretty good food and are close to Deerfield.

Buy and map. A GPS is a good idea and will help you get to know the lake if you are unfamiliar with the area.

This area of the lake is nice. Enjoy

2RLAKE
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been there since '92 ... great place but getting too crowded ... dont tell anyone about it. Head to Sequoyah friday night for wings and coronas. Mailbu gang hands out at Shanghai. You can head up river from deerfield towards flat hollow to find some great water. Lake is about 5' low right now, so watch some of the points ... especially coming out of deerfield heading towards the dam. Enjoy yourself ... stop by the big creek area for a cocktail (mile marker 6)

clevan
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Outstanding, keep an eye out for an '88 ps190, black and white from TX.

Norris
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Staying in deerfield is fine but too crowded for any good boating or skiing time. Just get in the boat and drive either east or west for 10-15 minutes and you should be fine.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
We'll be at Deerfield Aug. 11-12 and then off to the south side (Pennington Bridge Resort aka Beach Island Marina) for our week long houseboat trip. I agree that to get the best chance at good water, head towards/past Flat Hollow. Get out early and you might have decent water until 11-ish.

We always rent a slip. Not sure if it's still this way, but you used to have to keep your trailer at a lot at the top of the hill. It was about a 10min trip up there, so paying the $$ for a covered slip was a little easier.

norris laker
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Norris is a great lake to be on. The houses in Deerfield tend to be very nice but unfortunately it is the most crowded section of the lake and the water is very choppy. The good news is you don't have to go to far to find good water. I've been going to Norris for 30 years and I've always been able to find good water. There are three full service marinas close to Deerfield(Shanghai, Springs, and Sugar Hollow). The restaurant at Shanghai is a good place to eat. The bridge at Cedar Creek is a party spot and provides some excitement if you like jumping off bridges. If you like to ski, there are a couple slalom courses on the lake. The water is down 8 feets so be careful around some of the points. There is also a sand that is marked by a buoy in Deerfield.