PDA

View Full Version : Firing problem maybe electrical

prifakes
07-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I have a 1981 Stars and Stripes.

Generally, the engine immediately turns over with a fully charged battery. Often times I have problems getting the engine to fire once the motor has warmed up. In fact, many times I work the starter until I drain the juice out of the battery.

I have replaced the regulator and for awhile the motor seemed to run perfectly. Now, I have the exact same problem. The last time this happened I removed the battery and the connection wing nuts were so hot that they became discolored.

I have considered the alternator but find it hard to believe that a fully charged battery can be depleted in less than an hour of run time. My volt meter only registers 12 when I start the engine and receeds back to 10 after a few minutes. Unfortunately a previous owner had replaced the dash and its guages and I'm not sure if they are accurate.

My next line of action is to take the alternator off and have it checked. Anyone have any other ideas or have you experienced something similar? Because of a remote location having the alternator checked is more time consuming than you might think.

Thanks and happy 4th of July

TMCNo1
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Check or have the battery checked.:twocents:
I had a 3 year old, 84 month pro rated battery with a full 36 month replacement guarantee go bad. It would charge and show 12 volts+ yet would barely turn over the engine and die in about 5 minutes. Checked it with my battery tester and it was OK, then took it to Advance Auto and it showed bad. 12Volts +, but no amperage. They replaced it free and that was 4 years ago.

cwright
07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I am having the same problem. It seems to me that if the engine would fire when warm, I wouldn't have to crank so long and wear things down. Had trouble all day today. Has anybody out there perfected the carb adjustments that will enable the old school carbed 351's to fire quickly after warm.

I checked my electric choke and it is funtioning fine. Getting plenty of gas delivered through carb if I give it gas, but after 20 seconds of cranking with battery getting slower and slower it finally fires, and smeels of gas. She runs fine afterwards. I've got a new battery, I've confirmed 13.6 at battery when running, good leads, minimal resistance. I'm thinking a carb issue. Is it flooded? Or is it asking for a full squirt at every start, even when hot?

Is there a way to adjust the carb on an 88PS190, to promote firing quickly on a hot start?

prifakes
07-05-2007, 09:40 AM
cwright,

I read your post. We are having the exact same problem. It drives me nuts.

I've been using two brand new batteries, so I don't think that is the issue.

It seems the engine gets enough gas, to the point it may become flooded. I can definitely smell gas.

I'll check into carb next. If anyone has other ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help. Not a mechanic but am learning quickly...quicker than I had hoped.

cwright
07-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I posted some questions in the general of the Maintnenace Threads section, and I'm getting some feedback on this topic there.

prifakes
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks, I've been reading. I'll try the WOT start and wrap the fuel lines this weekend. Similar to your situation, my choke is not the problem.

I've got a call into my boats previous owner. He might have some advice. If so, I'll pass it along in the thread you have created.