PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath Bearing System for Trailer

bkblaida
07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
At the beginning of the season I converted our trailer bearings to an oil bath system vs. the traditional grease system. We just completed 1,500 miles of towing and I wanted to inform everyone that the oil bath worked great. No more grease guns, no more worrying if the bearings are getting lubricated, and no more grease mess when servicing the wheels or brakes. The system offers a clear lexan window at the end of the hub and all you do is make sure that the oil is filled to the half-way mark. In all the towing, the wheels never got warm and the system performed as promised by the manufacturer. Cost was $120.00 and about 2 hours of my time.
For anyone who always trailers their boat reasonable distances the oil bath system is the way to go.

CalmCraft
07-03-2007, 09:29 AM
They are great UNTIL your brakes do not completely disengage. If AND WHEN this happens the excessive heat transfers to the bearing area and the plastic sight glass will bulge and oil is lost. Just watch for proper brake disengagement.

bkblaida
07-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I remember with a previous trailer having the brakes lock and the wheel becoming to hot to touch. This could easily warp a plexiglass lense allowing the oil to leak out. (I discovered after posting that there are 4 other threads on the subject.) The brand that I installed has a 1/8" thick lexan lense inside of a stainless hub along with a pressure release to allow for the water shock if the hub is warm. Seems much more durable then other products I looked at. Only time and miles will tell.

mayo93prostar
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
pls post what product you got since it worked good and has some good features. I just put all new rotors/hubs and disc brakes on my trailer but opted for the grease with bearing buddy because of the potential problems with oil bath.

TMCNo1
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I would be very interested in knowing what product you used.
I like the idea and the concept and I have investigated 2 other brands, but with all the OEM broken caps/sight glasses, lost caps, water intrusion, oil loss and bearing failures, I am leary of changing over till someone truely has a dependable worry free system. I have never had a bearing/seal problem in nearly 19 years/30K miles with the old school Bearing Buddy and Trailer Buddy grease system and it looks like that's where I will stay for now.

bkblaida
07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
The product is called DuraHub. It is from Australia and is represented in the USA by Global Parts Source in Holland, MI. Website is www.durahub.com. Global was knowleable and very helpful. The website gives a good background and install instructure. I have no idea how this product will test long term, however the website claims 10 years of successful use in Australia across a host of variable conditions.
Like #1, I have never had a bearing problem using the tried and true grease system w/ bearing buddies. I have just grown tired of the mess of repacking and carrying a grease gun.

TMCNo1
07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
The product is called DuraHub. It is from Australia and is represented in the USA by Global Parts Source in Holland, MI. Website is www.durahub.com. Global was knowleable and very helpful. The website gives a good background and install instructure. I have no idea how this product will test long term, however the website claims 10 years of successful use in Australia across a host of variable conditions.
Like #1, I have never had a bearing problem using the tried and true grease system w/ bearing buddies. I have just grown tired of the mess of repacking and carrying a grease gun.

Very interesting! Thanks for the link!
I read the entire site and watched all the videos. It's the best system I have see to date and it's design makes sense, but i am no engineer so I'll see how it goes.
Please keep us informed on how they continue to perform.

bkblaida
08-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Update to original posting. August 14, 2007 and another 1,000 miles and multiple in and outs of the water. The Durahub system is working. Oil is still at original levels and clear, indicating no water has entered. The bearings run cool even after 300 miles in 95 degree heat. So far so good.

bjm300zx
08-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi, in May I purchased a 2002 X5 with trandem axle, factory trailer with oil bath bearings. I owed it from Southern California to Vancouver, BC, Canada, a distance of approx. 1200 miles. Since then with vacations and other trips I have probably put on anther 500 miles. I had the bearings checked and they are fantastic. This is the only way to go, where you can simple look and see if you have sufficient fluid.

bjm300zx
08-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi, in May I purchased a 2002 X5 with trandem axle, factory trailer with oil bath bearings. I owed it from Southern California to Vancouver, BC, Canada, a distance of approx. 1200 miles. Since then with vacations and other trips I have probably put on anther 500 miles. I had the bearings checked and they are fantastic. This is the only way to go, where you can simple look and see if you have sufficient fluid.

Lambo2005X2
08-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I've got about 1500 miles on my X-2 Mastercraft trailer....noticed oil leaking out of the bearing and went to check and discovered my bearing cover (lexan) was cracked...when taking it off it cracked along the hub line all the way around. I'm guessing it may have been torqued down too tight all along? Any other ideas..? I plan to buy a few at the dealer in the morning and spare o-rings. Have any of you had similar problems. I have a trip planned this weekend and don't want to be on the side of the road. Any tips appreciated.

bkblaida
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Update on my Durahub install after 1 year:

Just finished our annual trek to MN with the boat. Put 1,400 miles on the trailer with no problems with the Durahub oil bath bearing system. We pulled the boat out of storage and did all the normal pre-season prep. For the wheel bearings, just checked to see if the oil was clear and at the proper level. All looked good and off we went. The bearings ran cool the entire trip. In and out of the water 6 times with no problems. This puts almost 4,000 miles on the Durahub system with no signs of wear. While I have trailered thousands of miles with traditional grease hubs without a problem the Durahub system sure beats the annual cleaning and repacking and carrying a grease gun on trips.

ORX-1
07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
What are you guys using for the oil? I just picked up four extras just in case I need them down the road, but would need to know what to use for the oil.

Jerseydave
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I replaced my plastic bearing caps with the newer aluminum ones with site glass. (I had a plastic one crack and leak out all the oil) Make sure you tighten them with channel lock pliers, tightening by hand is not enough (found that out when they all became loose)

As for oil I use 75W90 gear oil with the handy spout for filling.

I also had a brake caliper that was dragging badly, so replaced all 4 calipers/pads too. (with Kodiac calipers) There were alot of caliper problems with 2005 and earlier trailers.

bkblaida
07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
The Durahub system comes with oil. Discussions with the Durahub rep leads me to believe it is a synthetic gear oil. Given how the system works any good quality gear oil 70-90 weight would do a good job.

bkblaida
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
If you read from the beginning of the posting, 2 years ago we converted our trailer to an oil bath bearing system. We just finished another 1,700 mile trip with the boat in tow and never a problem. We pulled the boat out of storage in May, checked all the usual to get ready for the season and started trailering. The only check on the trailer bearings was to see if the oil level was where it should be and off we went. If you are a heavy trailer user, I highly recommend the DuraHub oil bath system. We have put approximately 6,000 miles on the system and so far it has performed as the manufacturer claims. Simple, no messy grease or grease guns, no constant checking every couple of hundred miles for hot bearings, no waiting for wheels to cool down before putting in the water and due to the recessed design of the sight glass, no cracked or broken sight glass issues as in all the other products sold.
The next time you need to clean your trailer bearing system, consider converting to the DuraHub system, you will not be dissapointed.

shepherd
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
bkblaida,
Have you changed your oil yet? I bought my boat 2 years ago and have a few thousand miles on the trailer so far without a problem, including a few long trips between FL and NC. I was just wondering if the oil in the hubs needs to be changed regularly and at what interval. I assume annually in the spring would be a good idea - if it needed to be done - I just haven't done it yet because I never thought about it until recently.

Anyone?

FlatBoard
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
2004 X-30 trailer with approx. 5,000 miles. I change the oil out every other year during winterization. No problems to date.

BrianS
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Another satisfied DuraHub user here. I converted the trailer on my '93 Prostar in the spring of '08. This is my second season towing with the oil bath hubs and they are great.

I push my boat around in the garage pretty regularly and noticed that it pushed much easier after the conversion. I have to think it helps a little with gas mileage, not to mention running much cooler.

The exposed hub and sight glass seems very strong on the DuraHub. I haven't had any problems with water intrusion or oil leakage.

bkblaida
07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I am still on the original oil. Given that gear oil in a car or truck differential is good for 50,000 plus miles I have a long way to go before changing. The DuraHub Co asks you to look for bubbles / milky appearance, which will indicate water made its way into the system. See bubbles, change the oil. The fact the 2 hubs take less than 8 ounces of oil, it is not a cost issue just taking the time to drain and refill. (20 minutes?)

bkblaida
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Started this post in July 2007 to let everyone know about our experience converting to the Dura Hub oil bath system for trailer bearings. We just completed our annual trip to MN trailering close to 1,500 miles and in and out of the lake several times. I am glad to report no problems. This puts over 10,000 miles on this system. We are still using the original oil as it is still clear with no foaming (foaming indicates water contamination). The bearings ran cool the entire trip. If you are considering rebuilding your trailer hubs I recommend you take a look at the Dura Hub system.

bkblaida
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
If you read from the beginning of this post you will see that in 2007 we converted our grease bearing system to an oil bath system. We chose an aftermarket product called Dura Hub. www.durahub.com Happy to report we just finished a 2,000 trip, making the miles on this system somewhere around 12,000 in total without a single issue.I have followed the threads on this site talking about all the issues with other oil bath systems and can say the Dura Hub product has proven to be far superior to anything discussed here.

The best part is the elimination of cleaning and repacking bearings each season. Plus the sight glass removes the guessing game that the bearings are being properly lubricated. Every 2-3 years we drain and replace the oil. If the oil shows any signs of water penetration, clean the bearings, replace the rear seal and fill with oil. Simple and quick.

If you are considering an oil bath system, or your current system is giving you problems look into the Dura Hub. You will not be dissapointed.

FrankSchwab
07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
July 2011:
This puts over 10,000 miles on this system. We are still using the original oil...

July 2012:
Every 2-3 years we drain and replace the oil.

I'm glad it's working for you; I've considered doing the same on mine. But, what's the truth in your reports?

bkblaida
07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the catch Frank, not trying to misrepresent anything, just inform other members of a great product that is not well marketed here in the states and that we have used since 2007 with no problems.......

We have changed the oil one time. Some where around the end of the third season / beginning of our fourth season, not sure exactly when, but we trailer a minimum of 2,000 miles a sumer and some times 3,000 +. We changed the oil "just to be sure" and could not tell it apart from the new oil we added. Dura Hub instructions recommend seasonal changes, however when you read all of the product reviews, many owners have 10,000 - 20,000 miles on the original oil. As long as water has not invaded the bearing cavity the oil should be good to go..