PDA

View Full Version : Teak Oil

85S&S_Keuka
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
OK - I know I'm using the wrong oil :o, but I've done #1's short course and have my teak looking pretty good. My problem is that after the boat sits in the water for a while and then dries, the teak doesn't even look like its been oiled, but when it gets wet again it looks good.

Will using the Starbrite white bottle solve this? I have been using Meguiars Gold Teak Oil.

TMCNo1
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
OK - I know I'm using the wrong oil :o, but I've done #1's short course and have my teak looking pretty good. My problem is that after the boat sits in the water for a while and then dries, the teak doesn't even look like its been oiled, but when it gets wet again it looks good.

Will using the Starbrite white bottle solve this? I have been using Meguiars Gold Teak Oil.

If you used my short course and didn't use Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer/Preserver in the white bottle, you failed the course. The Meguiars will not dry and seal, but wash off like transmission fluid, motor oil and any other just oil, here's what it looks like,

Jkelly
07-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Shame on you!!!!:noface:

If you follow Harold's course to the letter, your teak will look good all season. I have gotten so many compliments on my platform it just unfair to the fiber glass platform owners.

Skeeler may be the picture king by No1 is the man when it comes to Teak :toast:

G-man
07-02-2007, 02:03 PM
It will take a while to build up a good coating but once you do you can sing the praises of TMC#1

mdthacker
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Ugh! Great! I just finished putting 4 coats of the Meguiar's Teak Oil on my platform... So should I assume that I should let the Meguiar's wash off before putting the Starbrite on?

TMCNo1
07-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Ugh! Great! I just finished putting 4 coats of the Meguiar's Teak Oil on my platform... So should I assume that I should let the Meguiar's wash off before putting the Starbrite on?

Absolutely, or the Starbrite will not dry with wet non-drying oil underneath it. You can remove it with mineral spirits, gas, kerosene, or any solvent that will desolve it and wash it away, then let it dry completely.

454Prostar190
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Things happen for a reason! I just finished cleaning up and sanding my teak deck yesterday. It looks awesome and all I have to do is oil it. Where do I get #1's short course? Thanks, Rick

G-man
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
http://207.170.215.108/eMarketing/Campaign/TemplateBlankRun.aspx?PageId=81546a8d-fd78-4bea-9d59-ffa7f47788ec&OrgId=1&ConId=5919

85S&S_Keuka
07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks Harold - I guess I should have paid more attention.:o

By "short" course, I meant that I stopped at 800 grit - just ran out of time. I'll finish up the remainder this winter.

Roonie's
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
What size of teak oil should be bought for someone who has never done it before. Platform is new but in a couple of months will be doing this procedure. Thanks.

454Prostar190
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks G-Man! Rick

TMCNo1
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
What size of teak oil should be bought for someone who has never done it before. Platform is new but in a couple of months will be doing this procedure. Thanks.
A quart has lasted me over 13 years, because I put so little on per coat, so a quart should last you a few years.

djpruitt
07-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I have pressure washed mine in the past and applied Amazon's golden lite 'n easy teak oil. It seemed to stay oily for a very long time and now after pressure washing again the wood seems dark. Should I use a bleach solution or possibly the TE-KA 2 part cleaning system (sodium hydroxide) to clean and brighten the teak before starting the process of sanding and applying the Star-Brite ?

Assuming nice weather, low 90s, how much time should you allow between coats before starting to sand?

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 06:48 AM
I have pressure washed mine in the past and applied Amazon's golden lite 'n easy teak oil. It seemed to stay oily for a very long time and now after pressure washing again the wood seems dark. Should I use a bleach solution or possibly the TE-KA 2 part cleaning system (sodium hydroxide) to clean and brighten the teak before starting the process of sanding and applying the Star-Brite ?

Assuming nice weather, low 90s, how much time should you allow between coats before starting to sand?

The Amazon will NEVER dry, it's just oil that will lay there, then come off in the water. Motor oil would have worked just as well. Use the Starbrite Claeaner and Brightener.

OhioProstar
07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
TMC#1,
I know you like Starbrite, but what about Watco Teak Oil. I have used it for years with good results.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
TMC#1,
I know you like Starbrite, but what about Watco Teak Oil. I have used it for years with good results.

I don't know what it is. I've always used Starbrite and can't complain.
As a matter of fact, I haven't used a cleaner or brightener on my platform since March of 1989. I used it in previous years before our MC on other boats till I was taught the Starbrite Teak Oil trick.

djpruitt
07-18-2007, 09:54 AM
TMCNo1, How much time do I need to allow after applying each coat for it to dry before starting to sand/prep for the next coat, and should subsequent sandings be done with water applied to keep it wet while sanding? I want to make sure I get it right and also see if this can be completed and ready for water in 2 days. Thanks!

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
TMCNo1, How much time do I need to allow after applying each coat for it to dry before starting to sand/prep for the next coat, and should subsequent sandings be done with water applied to keep it wet while sanding? I want to make sure I get it right and also see if this can be completed and ready for water in 2 days. Thanks!
Once you start, the drying time will decrease, because the amount you apply becomes less and less. Apply and set it in the hot sun and let it cook for at least 6 to 8 hours. When you try to sand and the oil rolls up like varnish that isn't dry, it is NOT dry. Just the basic treatment should take you more than 2 days but in 2 days you can get a good start, to work on later. I suggest you always wet sand using soapy water to keep the sanding fines washed out of the sandpaper, as that is the reason for wet sanding and it cuts faster.

Roonie's
07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I went to west marine the other day and found two different types of Starbrite teak oil. One was in the white bottle and the other was 2 dollars more and called Premium Golden teak oil.

Found here;
http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1105&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Teak%20Cleaners%20and%20Protectors&ProductSSCat=Teak%20Oil

And the other product is just called teak oil in the white bottle found here,

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1051&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Teak%20Cleaners%20and%20Protectors&ProductSSCat=Teak%20Oil

Which one do people recommend? I know TMC uses the white bottle. Anyone use the golden stuff as it seemed to be the most popular as they were all sold out of it. They had plenty of white bottles around. The saleman seemed to think the golden one has more of a golden tone to it and may last a little longer as the only differences. Any ideas on which one is better for my teak?

sand2snow22
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
No idea which one is better, I use the premium b/c that's the one my dealer carries. Let it bake in the sun after you apply it, it will be like a piece of furniture !! :D

OhioProstar
07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I am not disagreeing with TMC1's method, because his deck sure looks good. But as an alternative I have always used Watco Teak Oil. It costs a lot less than Starbrite and can be found at Lowes, HD, etc.

http://www.watco.net/CBGProduct.asp?pid=51

I have used this for years on two ski boats with great results. When I bought my '95 the deck was grayish in color from the previous owner. I took the deck apart and ran every piece through a horizontal planner. After that I applied 10 coats of Watco and just do a few yearly coats. It still looks like a piece of furniture.:twocents:

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I went to west marine the other day and found two different types of Starbrite teak oil. One was in the white bottle and the other was 2 dollars more and called Premium Golden teak oil.

Found here;
http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1105&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Teak%20Cleaners%20and%20Protectors&ProductSSCat=Teak%20Oil

And the other product is just called teak oil in the white bottle found here,

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1051&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Teak%20Cleaners%20and%20Protectors&ProductSSCat=Teak%20Oil

Which one do people recommend? I know TMC uses the white bottle. Anyone use the golden stuff as it seemed to be the most popular as they were all sold out of it. They had plenty of white bottles around. The saleman seemed to think the golden one has more of a golden tone to it and may last a little longer as the only differences. Any ideas on which one is better for my teak?

I have used both.
Difference, premium is more expensive, takes longer to dry, the color difference won't be noticed till you have applied many, many coats and it dries a little hazy when it has been applied to a finish that is real slick. The white bottles dries glossy.

east tx skier
07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
The Amazon will NEVER dry, it's just oil that will lay there, then come off in the water. Motor oil would have worked just as well. Use the Starbrite Claeaner and Brightener.

Harold, I respectfully disagree. When starbrite wasn't available around here a few years ago, I picked up some amazon. The results for the last three years for me have been fine and it dried just fine and has not washed away. The finish has held up well, too. I do tend to (due to time constraints), let it dry for 24 hours or so between coats. I'm typically doing this in February though, so having the platform off the boat for a week isn't much of an issue. But still, I've never noticed that it failed to dry (and I'd have switched brands were this the case).

Now granted, there's no way I'm putting as many coats on or am as meticulous about my teak as you are yours, and the ultimate results we're after may be a little different. I do however follow a modified version of your approach in my teak care. But as for getting the teak to look nice between annual touch ups, I've found that Amazon fits the bill (at least until I've used up this bottle).

That's been my experience with it anyway. Sorry to be contrary.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-7.jpg

Roonie's
07-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I have used both.
Difference, premium is more expensive, takes longer to dry, the color difference won't be noticed till you have applied many, many coats and it dries a little hazy when it has been applied to a finish that is real slick. The white bottles dries glossy.

Thanks for the info! Since I have a choice I will use the white bottle. Don't want slick nor hazy.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Harold, I respectfully disagree. When starbrite wasn't available around here a few years ago, I picked up some amazon. The results for the last three years for me have been fine and it dried just fine and has not washed away. The finish has held up well, too. I do tend to (due to time constraints), let it dry for 24 hours or so between coats. I'm typically doing this in February though, so having the platform off the boat for a week isn't much of an issue. But still, I've never noticed that it failed to dry (and I'd have switched brands were this the case).

Now granted, there's no way I'm putting as many coats on or am as meticulous about my teak as you are yours, and the ultimate results we're after may be a little different. I do however follow a modified version of your approach in my teak care. But as for getting the teak to look nice between annual touch ups, I've found that Amazon fits the bill (at least until I've used up this bottle).

That's been my experience with it anyway. Sorry to be contrary.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-7.jpg

What Amazon I used was back in the '70's and early '80's. Probably was not the New and Improved.

east tx skier
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Shoot, Harold, I've got no loyalty to them other than the fact that it was available, reasonably cheap, and made my wood shine for a couple of seasons.

Doug G
07-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I used the Watco this winter and it came out nice (to my standards) dried nice, was a bit slick at first but after 2 months in the water it is now all white and looks like cr@p but I am not pulling the boat just to do the teak. This was before it hit the water:

djpruitt
07-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Maybe I am not looking for the right kind of sandpaper because the wet/dry paper I found has Super Fine 400 Grit and then Ultra Fine 600 Grit and it doesn't go higher than that. This paper is made by Norton. I also searched Home Depot and they say it goes up to 600. What am I missing here?

Also, what are the cons of using a small electric rotary sander? Could this cause the grain to splinter or is it just the possibility of creating some low spots in the wood?

Jkelly
07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I found up to 1800 at West Marine

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe I am not looking for the right kind of sandpaper because the wet/dry paper I found has Super Fine 400 Grit and then Ultra Fine 600 Grit and it doesn't go higher than that. This paper is made by Norton. I also searched Home Depot and they say it goes up to 600. What am I missing here?

Also, what are the cons of using a small electric rotary sander? Could this cause the grain to splinter or is it just the possibility of creating some low spots in the wood?
Up to and by now probably over 2000 3M Micro Fine Wet-or-Dry is available at most any auto paint supply store.
This is one of many online locations if you Google "3M sandpaper",
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=16&familyName=3M+Imperial+Wet-or-Dry+Sandpaper+5-1%2F2+x+9+Half+Sheets
Search their site and you can find the paper in discs, rolls, belts and what I showed you is sheets.

djpruitt
07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
What about using the rotary sander? Bad idea?

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
What about using the rotary sander? Bad idea?
I can't answer that question, I have never used one, just block/hand sanded.

SkiDog
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I can't answer that question, I have never used one, just block/hand sanded.

Thats it!!!!!!!!! You're FIRED! We all thought you were the head of the R&d dept., and you can't answer 1 simple question! Don;t even think of applying for unemployeement either! Just how long have you been pulling the peacock feathers over our eyes?:mad: :D

03 35th Anniversary
07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Thats it!!!!!!!!! You're FIRED! We all thought you were the head of the R&d dept., and you can't answer 1 simple question! Don;t even think of applying for unemployeement either! Just how long have you been pulling the peacock feathers over our eyes?:mad: :D
WOW!!!!! What a hatchet man.........:rant:

You need a job??? LOL!!!!

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 06:44 PM

What can I say boss, you would only send me to school for "Teak Oiling 101"! I know that's no excuse, but Rotory Sanding was covered in "Teal Oiling 103".:( :o

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 06:47 PM
WOW!!!!! What a hatchet man.........:rant:

You need a job??? LOL!!!!

You should have seen what he did to the platform bracket painter!
Now that I've lost my job, I'm gonna squeel on all of the establishment!

I don't need no stinking unemployment, I can blackmail ya!

R&D, shucks, all that was was Redo and Destroy!

SkiDog
07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
You should have seen what he did to the platform bracket painter!
Now that I've lost my job, I'm gonna squeel on all of the establishment!

I don't need no stinking unemployment, I can blackmail ya!

R&D, shucks, all that was was Redo and Destroy!

And another thing! Sum of the other folks round here says you wuz dipping the pen in the company ink! You know better'n that! Nows we gonna get a sexal hi-rassment suit on r hands!

Doug G
07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
And another thing! Sum of the other folks round here says you wuz dipping the pen in the company ink! You know better'n that! Nows we gonna get a sexal hi-rassment suit on r hands!

yeah but I heard that there was so little ink lost and the ink well was embarrassed to file the complaint8p

east tx skier
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I used a variable orbit sander for the rougher grits before the first coat when I'm stripping it down to bare wood. After that, I use varying coarse to fine steel wool that you can get for refinishing antique furniture. After the last coat (I rarely put on more than four), I hit it lightly with the level zero wool and call it a year.

This year, I hit it with the zero, added a coat, hit it lightly again and was done. Took 20 minutes of work and 1 day of drying.

ProTour X9
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
#1 Wheres the link to your teaking process?

djpruitt
07-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Okay, I used the 2 part cleaner/brightener on my platform since it was in such bad shape. I then sanded it quite a bit because it was to the point where the pores/grain were so open you could get splinters. I looked great then I decided I better wash it and let it dry again to make sure it was clean before applying oil. It has been about 18 hours and the front edge still looks dark, as if it might still be damp. I tried heating with hair dryer and still remains same so it must be dry. Wonder if sometimes you get dark spots in wood either due to grain or burning the wood possibly while sanding? Any way just wanted someones advice on whether or not I should just proceed with applying oil now or try to brighten the wood again first. Leaving now to go pick up my boat after getting new carpet and upholstery so am trying to rush this platform project to get in the water tomorrow. Thanks!:D 24679

TMCNo1
07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Although I've been fired, I honestly don't know what that is or what to do about it, just apply the oil and see what happens.

03 35th Anniversary
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I would feel pretty safe appling oil. We all know the lake water will wash the oil back out pretty quick.

ProTour X9
07-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Harold, what do you think of sanding, then apply sealer, sand again, and then apply teak oil?

Roonie's
07-31-2007, 07:31 PM
So I went out and got the teak oil as Harold suggested and did my teak the past few days. It turned out great!! I started with 80 grit hand sand and then went to 150 before first coat of oil. Then let it dry over night and sanded lightly with 220 and applied second coat of oil. This was during a 95 degree day with direct sun outside so it was good to go again by noon. I lightly sanded it with 600 and another coat of oil. Again it was ready and completely dry to the touch by around 5:00 so I lightly sanded with 1200 and did my final and fourth coat of oil. I thought of doing a fifth coat but I don't want it to be slippery. I used Harold's recommended oil.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0006.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0005.jpg

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 07:49 PM
It won't be slick! Sure looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
So I went out and got the teak oil as Harold suggested and did my teak the past few days. It turned out great!! I started with 80 grit hand sand and then went to 150 before first coat of oil. Then let it dry over night and sanded lightly with 220 and applied second coat of oil. This was during a 95 degree day with direct sun outside so it was good to go again by noon. I lightly sanded it with 600 and another coat of oil. Again it was ready and completely dry to the touch by around 5:00 so I lightly sanded with 1200 and did my final and fourth coat of oil. I thought of doing a fifth coat but I don't want it to be slippery. I used Harold's recommended oil.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0005.jpg

Looks a little warped :confused: Jus sayin. 8p ;)

ProTour X9
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I just lightly applied oil to our teak while the boat was on the lift. Ever since I have a terrible headache.

east tx skier
08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
#1 Wheres the link to your teaking process?

Harold's Teak Tutorial (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=150097&postcount=28)

M-Funf
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I just lightly applied oil to our teak while the boat was on the lift. Ever since I have a terrible headache.

I don't know about the Starbrite Teak Oil, but when I use Tung oil for wood projects, I wear an organic vapor respirator. On the one or two occasions that I forgot, or thought I had enough ventilation, I got pretty sick. Don't take chances. Do it outside if you don't have a good respirator!

ProTour X9
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Harold's Teak Tutorial (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=150097&postcount=28)

Thanks, I found it a looooong time ago:)

bbymgr
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey TMCNO1,

Do you use your Teak process for both the Top and Bottom sides of the Teak?

TMCNo1
04-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey TMCNO1,

Do you use your Teak process for both the Top and Bottom sides of the Teak?

Top and sides, but underneath I just keep it cleaned and sealed good!

bbymgr
04-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Top and sides, but underneath I just keep it cleaned and sealed good!

Do you seal the bottom with the same stuff or do you use something different?

JohnE
04-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I'll answer for #1 - same stuff. I just put 5 coats on the bottom of mine.

bbymgr
04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I'll answer for #1 - same stuff. I just put 5 coats on the bottom of mine.

Thanks!! I am doing up my Teak right since it is brand new......and my 1st MC. Will post pics when finished.

Gonzo
04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
So if I am reading this right the easiest way to win the Teak wars is to treat the bottom of your teak as you do the top... that way when its a draw you just flip yours and VICTORY!!!

gigem75
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I used the TeakGuard and Cleaner on my deck that was white now it looks like the photo on the my trans rebuild that shows part of the deck. Did the dash too and they both look great.

this is promo material but it's all true, well I haven't had it on there a year yet but they did wait to ship it on Monday because they didn't want it sitting in a warehouse over the weekend where it might freeze. So I know they care.

"TEAKGUARD is a revolutionary NEW finish for teak wood that gives teak decks a new and practically indefinite lease on life!

TEAKGUARD is Guaranteed for one year, in any weather, not to: CHIP, PEEL, or FADE. "