PDA

View Full Version : Lock out trailer brakes

bfinley
07-02-2007, 07:59 AM
I have a 1992 trailer and I have to back it up a slight hill to get into the garage. I believe there is a tool I can use to lock out the brakes so they don't engage (they are the surge brakes, not electric). Where to do I get this tool??

mayo93prostar
07-02-2007, 08:26 AM
do you have drum or disc brakes? I assume drum based on the year. If drum, they should release in reverse on there own. If disc, there should be a reverse solenoid on the output of the master cylinder that is engaged by the backup lights on your vehicle.

Regardles, there is a mechanical lockout device that fits in the slide area on the tongue available from a UFP distributor. Check on your tongue if it says you have a UFP A-60 actuator. I just replaced all of my brake components on a 93 trailer with UFP parts from Dorsey Trailers in Oklahoma. I converted from drum to disc. I got a better price from them than from the east coast distributor for UFP. Search for UFP or Dorsey Trailers on the web.

WTRSK1R
07-02-2007, 09:34 AM
When I had my '92 I had to put the lock out pin into the tongue to get it up my driveway. It was a pin with a D shaped end on it that fit into the area on the tongue that the surge mechanism moves back and forth in. Drum brakes (at least what was on my '92) do not lock out on there own like the newer trailers do with the solenoid. I would expect that this pin can be ordered as a replacement part. Mine was attached to the tongue with a short cord so that it was always there. It pretty much fell out on its own the first time you pulled the boat forward, so it would not prevent you from having brakes when going forward.

Sodar
07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Here is the peice. You can get it for about $3 for any trailer place that carries UFP Products or on the web.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product_image.php?imageid=930

Here is a diagram of where the peice goes on the actuator.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product_image.php?imageid=1035

east tx skier
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Pick up a couple of ceramic magnets, too. You'll likely need them to hold the piece in place.

TMCNo1
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Pick up a couple of ceramic magnets, too. You'll likely need them to hold the piece in place.

Trim a magnet to fit in the slot and attach a cord to it with epoxy and it will hold itself in instead of buying and using the tool.

bfinley
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the great info!!