PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform loose/clunking...

randyb
07-02-2007, 01:40 AM
I've noticed that my teak swim platform makes a clunking noise when either waves are lapping up to the back of the boat or I'm idling along and the water is kind of churning around back there. The brackets themselves are on there soundly; there seems just to be some free play in the recieving slot that allows for the whole step to move about 1/16 or so each way. Has anyone else had this and found an easy way to tighten it up in there? I'm kind of thinking a think piece of teflon as a shim might do the trick.

Thanks

vogelm1
07-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Bump for you...mine does the same thing and would be interested to hear what ideas folks might have.

Leroy
07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Mine does the same. I don't think it is a problem unless the screws are loose or the brackets slot have opened up.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I think the shim may help one issue, but may create more. May make it near impossible to remove when necessary, and it may cause the bracket to open up over time and then you have a worse problem.

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Mine does the same. When I have a full crew and a few in back it really rocks! I could shim but instead I kick everyone out and make them swim. Then it is just me and my MC! Life is good! Hey, what about $12,000 for a freakin' hot tub? Man I am a dumbarse but what happened to that industry?:(

johkur
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Moved to general discussion, doesn't seem to be easy to notice new posts in this section, and general discussion has loads of posts like this.

buckeye wake
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I had this problem too and fixed it by swapping my 03 X2 brackets with brackets off an 03 Xstar. These bracket set my platform up 4" and have eliminated the clunking. Before my platform was submerged even when the ballasts were empty and now it rest slightly above the water line. i was fortunate the my local dealer had an extra set and sold them to my for 100. it may be the best 100 i spent being that the clunking was enough to drive me nuts.

--matt

wheeler
08-20-2009, 12:23 PM
find you some velcro with self adhesive glue on the back. use the soft side of the velcro and glue you a strip to the inside of the bracket mounted to your boat.

Slide platform into brackets

buy 1/4" stainless steel bolt and nylon lock nut and tighten that puppy down.

problem solved!!!

I have an X-10 with that football field sized solid swim platform....drove me nuts. all fixed now...

mcskier
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
find you some velcro with self adhesive glue on the back. use the soft side of the velcro and glue you a strip to the inside of the bracket mounted to your boat.

Slide platform into brackets

buy 1/4" stainless steel bolt and nylon lock nut and tighten that puppy down.

problem solved!!!

I have an X-10 with that football field sized solid swim platform....drove me nuts. all fixed now...

will this also work for a newer, folding platform?

boofer
08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Wheelers idea sounds okay, but be careful you do not get it in there so good you cannot remove it. Ours clunks a little when we get wake hitting the boat from the back. But, our step is so perfectly installed you have to lift it perfectly the same amount from each side at the same time or it will not come out.

I would try replacing the pins with stainless bolts first.