PDA

View Full Version : Teak transom saver

DanC
02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
So I bought a piece of teak at the lumberyard and had the guy rip it at an angle and viola two transom savers at ľ the price. Now Iím looking for some advice on mounting it, where and how.

DanC
02-16-2005, 01:19 PM
The 209 has a transom that sticks out and gets scuffed up regularly by newbies. I figure the saver needs to be even with the outermost part of the transom to be effective. Do I leave the saver straight or do I curve it to match the contour of the transom?

If I curve it, it will cross over one of the teak platform joints. Will that be a problem with cleaning, oiling and maintenance or should I just ignore it?

How should I attach it? I was going to use countersunk SS wood screws, but then I thought about SS through bolts. West Marine sells teak hole plugs. I could put plugs in to cover the countersunk screws. Or will I regret that at some time when I might need to remove the transom saver?

ski_king
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
How about putting the screws thru from the bottom up. Then the screws will only show to the fishes.
Drill a slightly oversive hole thru the platform then clamp the saver in place and transfer the holes into the saver and predrill blind pilot holes.

Keeping it straight will probobly look better IMO.

jayderwin1
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
whats the deal with these transome savers? are they supose to keep idiots from wacking the transome with there skis of wakeboards?

Mag_Red
02-16-2005, 02:54 PM
whats the deal with these transome savers? are they supose to keep idiots from wacking the transome with there skis of wakeboards?
Yeah.......how is a piece of wood only 1" high going to keep the tip of a ski from hitting the transom??? I like the clear plastic thing I saw on here better.

erkoehler
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
I would put both on. Never to much protection from some idiot who knocks the fiberglass.

ski_king
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
I havent had much problem with this as I usually put my ski on in the water or on the dock if I am doing a dock start. When I do put the ski on when on the platform, I make it a point to keep the ski away from the boat.
I can see with wakeboards and some of the newer binding, it may be close to impossible to get in the bindings in the water, so I can see where the transom saver is can help.
I can also see where the clear plastic sheets can save scratches, but I am not sure if it will protect it from a good whack.

My boat has the tie up eyes or lifting eyes, what ever you call them right above the platform and seem to protect the transom, no scratches or nicks yet, maybe I have been lucky.

Are there transom protectors available for the fibergalss platforms?

east tx skier
02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Dan, I received a transom saver as a gift from a very generous board member. I attached it with composite, rust-proof decking screws. I drilled pilot holes from the bottom of the platform and attached it to match the curvature of the piece of platform closest to the transom. You can't see the screws and it looks fantastic. I used enough screws all the way across so it doesn't have gaps. I have never had a concern about it coming lose.

I oiled everything up before installing it.

Many thanks to my benefactor.

G-man
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Mine is mounted like Dougs on my boat from the dark side. See photos in profile. I use mine to rest the front edge just behind the tip of ski against when I am putting it on that way it won't slip towards the boat.

John B
02-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Here is a picture of the one on my boat.

Kell
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Saw this on another site, and thought you might be interested in another option.

http://transpad.net/

DanC
02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the inputs. I hadn't thought about mounting screws from the underside. I think I will go with that method. Still debating the straight or curved installation.

For those of you questioning the transom saver, I have never had one so I don't know if it really helps. I do know I have scuffs marks on the transom (the 209 transom sticks out over the platform more than any other model). Nobody in our group can put their ski or wakeboard on while in the water. All require lubing up on the platform.

Kell, I have never seen that transpad, thanks for the link. I have heard of people draping life jackets over the back to protect the transom from wakesurfers. I bet that is where this idea came from.

I also like the clear plastic thing but it would have to be trimmed around the Mastercraft lettering. Decals also tend to start looking crappy around the edges after a few wax jobs. I wonder if it would cause uneven fading of the gelcoat color over a lnog period of time? Still thinking about buying some though.

east tx skier
02-17-2005, 11:51 AM
I'd go with the curved teak if you go the teak route. Just an opinion.

Hemey5
02-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Dan,
I bought a teak board 1X4 about 5 ft. long and cut it to curve of my transom.
I used (4) brass screws and counter sunk them from the top down into the platform.
Looks just like the ones you buy from the factory but only alot cheaper.
(example John B's picture)

ChrisG
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey Dan, didn't your 209 come with a transom saver? I have the same boat and same year (X9) that came with one.

east tx skier
03-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Just figured I'd throw a picture of mine on here. Thanks again to my teak donor. Haven't had a chance to apply my beginning of season oil yet.

G-man
03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Doug

Looks a lot like mine, overall your platform is in good shape. Keep up the oil.

east tx skier
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Ya don't say. :)

I usually oil once per season. Of course, last year, I hit it mid season with the t-saver install. I'm hitting the lake this weekend. I may pick up a bottle of starbrite on the way home.

Cary K.
03-09-2005, 10:13 PM
I think it works much better for wakeboards than for skis, as the edge is up against it. However as a little tip, if the rider will put the board on standing up facing the boat, not sitting on the transom, it will be VERY difficult for them to hit the fiberglass. Never seen anyone hit the transom doing it this way. Most of the newer platforms are big enough to accomodate this method without much trouble.

DanC
03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Finished the transom saver. Per your suggestions, attached with SS screws from the bottom. And no comments about needing to get off the sofa and oil my deck :rolleyes: :D .

DanC
03-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Another angle

dmac
03-14-2005, 04:56 PM
That will do nicely I think.

SteveO
03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Dan,

Looks good. Can you order 2 of everything and come to TX and lend a hand. My wish list just keeps getting longer. That was a great way to save the $150 MC was asking for.

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 05:04 PM
That will do nicely I think. I agree! Now :rant: get some oil on that TEAK!

DanC
03-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I would like to draw your attention away from the teak finish and towards the fine high gloss finish on that beautiful Viper Red gel coat. :purplaugh

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I would like to draw your attention away from the teak finish and towards the fine high gloss finish on that beautiful Viper Red gel coat. :purplaugh To tell you the truth........I didn't even notice a boat in the photo. :o

DanC
03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
No wonder they all leave you after 2 months j/k :purplaugh

6balls
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah...... You "Oil Advocates" are a bunch of cupcakes :D

I caught a load of shat from the Oil Mongers when I posted pic of my platform on my 2004 boat, complete with rusty can rings and bottle cap scars. :purplaugh

Ski boats are glorified tractors and the teak deck is like an implement.

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
No wonder they all leave you after 2 months j/k :purplaugh I'm sorry..........that was really insensitive of me :D

DanC
03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
You didn't notice my new haircut either :cry:

Mag_Red
03-14-2005, 06:24 PM
You didn't notice my new haircut either :cry: :purplaugh At least you're still talking to me :woohoo:

jimmer2880
03-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Finished the transom saver. Per your suggestions, attached with SS screws from the bottom. And no comments about needing to get off the sofa and oil my deck :rolleyes: :D .

What is that black think on the right side of your rock guard?

BTW - the transom saver looks great. I may have to do something like that also - great idea.

DanC
03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
What is that black think on the right side of your rock guard?

Black thing is a ratchet tie down.

NSXBill
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Black thing is a ratchet tie down.

I thought it was a beer (or soap, I suppose) holder. Whoops, that is the other black thing in the picture...

DanC
03-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Correctamundo, was a beer holder, now a soap spray bottle holder :)