PDA

View Full Version : What..? No iPhone hoopla amongst this group?

bigmac
06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm mildly suprised that there have been no iPhone threads here on this rather eclectic forum. You guys mean to tell me that NONE of you spent hours in line at your local Apple Store waiting to purchase one?

The iPhone isn't for me, but it is THE topic on the many tech forums I frequent.

So, 'fess up you guys...who among you has a brand new iPhone and is presently obsessing over AT&T's problematic activation delays?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
I guess we arent nerds8p ;)

Remember Bigmac, we sit at the cool kids lunch table. no nerds here.

Leroy
06-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Smarter group than I had even imagined!

tex
06-30-2007, 11:27 AM
I had to drive by an Apple store yesterday. The line was huge. 12 and 13 year old kids buying them? A lot were buying with their own $$$. Parents should still draw the line!

Leroy
06-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Saw the same thing here in Indy, kids will be the biggest users first I think! Pretty amazing but people are already used to paying apple $300-$500 for IPODs for their kids.

I had to drive by an Apple store yesterday. The line was huge. 12 and 13 year old kids buying them? A lot were buying with their own $$$. Parents should still draw the line!

TMCNo1
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM
No, I'm waiting for the UMPhone to come out!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sodar
06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I will be getting one 100% for sure, but there is no way I am standing in line or buying the phone within the first few months it is out. I think i will be "hinting" at getting one for Christmas... we will see! I want to read some real-world reviews, prior to plunking down the $$$$ for one!!

cbryan70
06-30-2007, 05:45 PM
they are going for about 1000 on ebay

bigmac
06-30-2007, 06:23 PM
they are going for about 1000 on ebayThat's amusing. They're widely available today to walk-ins at Apple Retail stores or at Apple's Online store. The only shortages are at the AT&T company stores.

Although there are some "Buy It Now" wishful thinkers trying to sell them at $1500, there are no takers. The highest actual bid I've seen on ebay was $67.

bigmac
06-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Heh...ebay sellers are generally getting hosed pretty good.

News link - video (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=66434CA6FE6500D6A04B9F946D779145 ?contentId=3641729&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

point1234
07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Whats an iphone.

Just kidding

rodltg2
07-01-2007, 01:52 AM
im not what is it??

Sodar
07-01-2007, 02:37 AM
im not what is it??

Come on Rod... keep up with the Jones'!!! :D :D

http://uk.gizmodo.com/iphone2.jpg

suedv
07-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm only buying one if they are guaranteed to holding up to the washing machine test. :D

cbryan70
07-01-2007, 11:52 AM
my phone holds up. I made a call the other week wakeboarding. Its WATERPROOF!

TX.X-30 fan
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm only buying one if they are guaranteed to holding up to the washing machine test. :D

I can see it now " has anyone tried to dry out an iphone" :D :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh, Dont Worry Harold, its in development. my people are working on it now. :cool:

BrianM
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Actually I just went out and picked up a new Treo 755. Big upgrade to my old 600. I am kind of anti-Apple anyway and I can't switch carriers so it is a no go anyway.

east tx skier
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Looks cool, but I hear it's a better video player than a phone. I'll wait until they're free with a 1 year plan in a couple of years. ;)

bigmac
07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Looks cool, but I hear it's a better video player than a phone. I'll wait until they're free with a 1 year plan in a couple of years. ;)Won't happen. Apple shopped this out pretty well. They took the deal to Verizon first - demanding the retail channel for themselves. That is Apple online, Apple Stores, plus Apple controls inventory to the carrier's stores. (I note that only AT&T company stores had the phone, but they had about 1/3 of what the Apple Stores got and they ran out of phones within the first 24 hours). But the BIG sticking point was that Apple wanted a piece of the rate structure. Not surprisingly, Verizon didn't just say no, they said "hell no". So AT&T was the second choice and they jumped at it and they got a 5 year exclusive (not 6 months like the RAZR). That means that the iPhone in the USA is going to be AT&T-only (GSM) with Apple controlling the supply and the price for a lo-o-o-ng time in cell-phone years.

Anyway, Apple learned a lot from Motorola. The RAZR is the best-selling cell phone in history - was $400+ when it came out. Now you can get a RAZR in a box of cereal from virtually any carrier for a two-year contract. I can't imagine that that scenario is in the future for the iPhone.

I cruise the Apple fan-boy forums and this whole iPhone thing has been fascinating. Getting the phones activated has been a problem for some purchasers (AT&T sucks), but the reviews from those who have them and have reviewed them have been very positive. The phone will get significantly enhanced functionality when Apple's new OS come out in October. And it looks like they're ramping up for Europe and Japan with a huge manufacturing push on a 3G version - their whole AT&T deal has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Those of us who are non-AT&T or CDMA only are gonna have to settle for whatever lame iPhone copies the rest of the industry will be dropping on us any day now.

east tx skier
07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Won't happen. Apple shopped this out pretty well. They took the deal to Verizon first - demanding the retail channel for themselves. That is Apple online, Apple Stores, plus Apple controls inventory to the carrier's stores. (I note that only AT&T company stores had the phone, but they had about 1/3 of what the Apple Stores got and they ran out of phones within the first 24 hours). But the BIG sticking point was that Apple wanted a piece of the rate structure. Not surprisingly, Verizon didn't just say no, they said "hell no". So AT&T was the second choice and they jumped at it and they got a 5 year exclusive (not 6 months like the RAZR). That means that the iPhone in the USA is going to be AT&T-only (GSM) with Apple controlling the supply and the price for a lo-o-o-ng time in cell-phone years.

Anyway, Apple learned a lot from Motorola. The RAZR is the best-selling cell phone in history - was $400+ when it came out. Now you can get a RAZR in a box of cereal from virtually any carrier for a two-year contract. I can't imagine that that scenario is in the future for the iPhone.

I cruise the Apple fan-boy forums and this whole iPhone thing has been fascinating. Getting the phones activated has been a problem for some purchasers (AT&T sucks), but the reviews from those who have them and have reviewed them have been very positive. The phone will get significantly enhanced functionality when Apple's new OS come out in October. And it looks like they're ramping up for Europe and Japan with a huge manufacturing push on a 3G version - their whole AT&T deal has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Those of us who are non-AT&T or CDMA only are gonna have to settle for whatever lame iPhone copies the rest of the industry will be dropping on us any day now.

Note my sarcastic smilie above. :)

I'll settle for a copy. Sprint has my wife for life. I'm on her plan for $10 and she has me for life.

bigmac
07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeh, saw the :winkie: . I gotta settle for a copy too, unless AT&T agrees to put a cell-site on top of the hospitals where I work, like Unicel did.

I currently use a Motorola Q. It's a yawner for sure.

M-Funf
07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
So, 'fess up you guys...who among you has a brand new iPhone and is presently obsessing over AT&T's problematic activation delays?

I didn't buy one, but my Treo data service DIED the day the iPhonecrap was released :rant:

I was without mobile E-Mail for 4 days...amazing how we come to depend on this stuff...:o

LakePirate
07-02-2007, 09:20 PM
There will be 3 more releases of the iPhone before christmas. It is strictly a consumer product. There is no current plan for a business application as apple has not come up with a reliable platform to interface with exchange, lotus notes or any other email service.

BigMac - sorry to hear you are not a fan of American Telephone and Telegraph.

bigmac
07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
There will be 3 more releases of the iPhone before christmas. It is strictly a consumer product. There is no current plan for a business application as apple has not come up with a reliable platform to interface with exchange, lotus notes or any other email service.

BigMac - sorry to hear you are not a fan of American Telephone and Telegraph.

My experience with AT&T/Cingular has indeed not been positive, but I did mean to put quotes around "AT&T sucks", reflecting more the prevailing sentiment (irately and vociferously expressed) among the 2% of iPhone purchasers who had trouble getting their phones activated, and less my own opinion. I do recognize that AT&T is a big company with very broad regional variation in customer service and experience. They don't serve the rural market well - that's not been their thrust. However, I note that AT&T just bought Dobson Communications (Cellular One), which is big around here...so..there might be an iPhone in my future anyway, some day.

Yes, the biggest criticism of the iPhone is that it's a lousy business phone. Sheesh, what company is going to buy $600 phones for its employees? Of course it's not a business phone...it's an entertainment device. It's a wi-fi video iPod running OSX that happens to have a cell phone built into it. It's like everything else that Apple does - it is consumer oriented. Steve Jobs would tell anyone that Apple as a company is just not that interested in the enterprise market. Yes, you can run a big business on Mac computers, and power business users can use the iPhone as a business phone...but that's not the market niche they've sought. My Motorola Q is a competent business device, but it's about as sexy as a pair of Red Wing boots.

Anyway, subsequent iterations of the iPhone and/or its software will be pretty significantly enhanced, and I'll bet they do end up going full push (not IMAP) on Microsoft Exchange.

RedStar
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't mind an iPhone, I guess, but not at $500 or $600. And I shorehell wouldn't camp my butt at a strip mall in a folding chair in 90+ degree heat for 2-3-days to buy one.
So, Mr. Apple man, I'm good with what I got.

Leroy
07-02-2007, 11:41 PM
So in 3 days Cameron is the closest we have to someone that has or will get one of these devices. And he is waiting until Xmas!

I guess we are even smarter than I thought!

rodltg2
07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
too complex looking for me. i had a blackberry and hated it . went back to a normal basic phone.. i also dont like the new multi line perfect pass. the old version was fine by me :D

Leroy
07-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I agree, even as an electrical engineer I am happy with a basic phone and a PC for everything else. It still looks goofy seeing people type in messages on a 2"x3" keyboard!

too complex looking for me. i had a blackberry and hated it . went back to a normal basic phone.. i also dont like the new multi line perfect pass. the old version was fine by me :D

uawaterskier
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree, even as an electrical engineer I am happy with a basic phone and a PC for everything else. It still looks goofy seeing people type in messages on a 2"x3" keyboard!
the sad part is my dad can type faster on that than a fullsize keyboard

trickskier
07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
How much technology is too much technology??? I have to agree with some of the other posts above..............A simple phone is more than enough for me. In fact, I don't understand the concept of a text message when a voice mail is easier & faster than sending a text???

Ric
07-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Note my sarcastic smilie above. :)

I'll settle for a copy. Sprint has my wife for life. I'm on her plan for $10 and she has me for life. someone on this forum made awful comments about my phone recently

TX.X-30 fan
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
someone on this forum made awful comments about my phone recently

Is your phone real or augmented. :confused:

nuckinfutz
07-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I wont lie... I want one. BUT I will not deal with AT&T's network. I remember the good old days when the 1 year contract was designed to help the carrier return the actual cost of the phone so they could "break even". Now AT&T has a phone that YOU pay full pop for AND sign a 2 year agreement to stay with them so you can have the latest and greatest. and thats just the hardware aspect. The service is literaly the lowest performance out there (other than smaller mom and pop wireless services) I have been working with GSM for the last 9 years and it frustrates me to see AWS, SBC, and now at&t again try to bend the rules of standardization. Other countries have laws against signing a contract for service though the carriers do not offer free phones.

My thoughts, Dont run down to apple or cingular store just yet wait a week or 2 when the masterminds crack the SIM lock feature. It can and will be done. then pop in your T-Mobile SIM so you can pay less and have most of the same features (most not all, like the visual Vmail will not work on other carriers).

bigmac
07-03-2007, 08:06 PM
someone on this forum made awful comments about my phone recently
Those iPhones are gay, Ric. You don't want one.

;)

6ballsisall
07-03-2007, 08:09 PM
You wont see me with one. I'll have a blackberry until someone prys it off my cold, dead body!!!

WakeSeeky
07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Intersting that no one here seems to have gotten one yet... they sold 700,000 phones in three days (http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/03/iphone.breaks.att.record)! :eek:

No, I don't have one and I can't imagine I'll be getting one. I think it looks like it might be pretty neat, but I really don't need or want all the features. I am already an AT&T customer and, although I do wish they'd decide on a name, they have decent service here. That may actually say more about cell service in Vegas than it does about AT&T, though.

TMCNo1
07-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think I'll be getting one. I have enough trouble understanding what people say in some of their posts!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2007, 12:37 AM
How long until the lawsuits are throw around for getting some type of illness from typing on such a small screen? (Let alone while driving:( ) Some type of miniscreentypingtunel? Maybe its better than the phone keypad?

Of course, I still think the radar-range works better than any microwave.

Leroy
07-06-2007, 08:41 AM
History has shown anything new ends up with at least a few side effects. In litigation happy USA we know how that often ends up.

Miniscreentypingtunnel! We'll see!

How long until the lawsuits are throw around for getting some type of illness from typing on such a small screen? (Let alone while driving:( ) Some type of miniscreentypingtunel? Maybe its better than the phone keypad?

Of course, I still think the radar-range works better than any microwave.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
History has shown anything new ends up with at least a few side effects. In litigation happy USA we know how that often ends up.

Miniscreentypingtunnel! We'll see!
I guess I was incorrect at least once, this "flat" screen television fad seems to be sticking around a little longer than I anticipated...;) I hope they don't start using touch screen televisions and do away with the remote control.....:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, What is the most energy efficient television available? Tube, LCD or plasma?

bigmac
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
The biggest advantage to these so-called smart phones IMHO is calendar syncing. My secretaries can add things to my calendar from their own Outlook account and organize my day, and my Motorola Q dials up the Exchange server 4 or 5 times per day and syncs itself with those calendar additions. The email function is nice on the road in some circumstances, but I don't find that that useful. I also can store PowerPoint presentations and videos on the thing and that is also useful...having one device that does that plus phone plus calendar, instead of also carrying my speaker-less iPod around in addition to a phone and a PDA. It does all three things, plus some other things, in one device. However, it's true it doesn't do any of those things as well as the individual devices.

As to typing on a small keyboard - that's already creating injuries. Google "Blackberry thumb" and you'll get many, many hits.

BriEOD
07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
It is already out, it is two tin cans and a string.8p

starman205
07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
It is already out, it is two tin cans and a string.8p

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8p 8p 8p

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 10:04 AM
The biggest advantage to these so-called smart phones IMHO is calendar syncing. My secretaries can add things to my calendar from their own Outlook account and organize my day, and my Motorola Q dials up the Exchange server 4 or 5 times per day and syncs itself with those calendar additions. The email function is nice on the road in some circumstances, but I don't find that that useful. I also can store PowerPoint presentations and videos on the thing and that is also useful...having one device that does that plus phone plus calendar, instead of also carrying my speaker-less iPod around in addition to a phone and a PDA. It does all three things, plus some other things, in one device. However, it's true it doesn't do any of those things as well as the individual devices.

As to typing on a small keyboard - that's already creating injuries. Google "Blackberry thumb" and you'll get many, many hits.

Will the iphone actually sync with outlook? My brief stint with a windows mobile pda (before some dirtbag stole it from my car), left me pretty happy with the sync functions as well as wireless internet and email.

bigmac
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Will the iphone actually sync with outlook? My brief stint with a windows mobile pda (before some dirtbag stole it from my car), left me pretty happy with the sync functions as well as wireless internet and email.

The iPhone won't do "push email" with Exchange yet, although it's rumored to be part of the next software update...licensing issues and fees with Microsoft, I'm sure, but lack of full push means that it doesn't sync in the manner your implying. It will sync with Exchange via IMAP protocol, but many IT departments don't like to enable that function because of security concerns. The iPhone will also access your Outlook account using its browser function from anywhere to log onto Outlook Web Access, assuming your IT department HAS enabled THAT function. That is more secure. It will get you your Inbox and your calendar just as if you logged on from a remote computer.

So yeah, you can get your calendar and email from an iPhone, but it's not as seamless as full-push, yet. Full push is rumored to be part of the first software upgrade for the iPhone.

east tx skier
07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I didn't have the phone long enough to mess with exchange. Our IT does have remote access, but I don't know if they'd have enabled that for me or not. Last PDA was a Dell Axim X51. Really neat little device.

bigmac
07-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I didn't have the phone long enough to mess with exchange. Our IT does have remote access, but I don't know if they'd have enabled that for me or not. Last PDA was a Dell Axim X51. Really neat little device.

The difference between the Dell Axim and a smart phone like the Motorola Q or the iPhone is the cellphone aspect. The Dell's only connectivity is wi-fi and Bluetooth, meaning you have to be at an 802.11b hot spot in order to connect to anything wirelessly. Smart phones OTOH can access all of that stuff anywhere they have a cellphone signal and that's the part that really enhances their convenience. There are plusses and minuses to each. My Motorola Q doesn't have 802.11b, so I can't access our wi-fi network at work. That would be convenient because I could access a patient's electronic health record easier and faster on rounds in the hospital as opposed to getting my Q to dial up and access the VPN. The new version of the Q does have 802.11b wi-fi meaning I could get patient data and x-rays right on the device instead of carrying a wireless laptop PC around on rounds, and it's still a phone. The other big advantage to a cellphone that also has wi-fi (like the iPhone does) is that the device can also be used as an IP phone. In that case, my cell phone would be a standard 4-digit extension as soon as I step into the hospital, using the hosptal's wi-fi network instead of it being a 10-digit cellphone number incurring cell connect charges. The disadvantage to cellphone/wi-fi integration on these devices is that the wi-fi aspect would suck the Q's already straining battery even more, meaning shorter time between charges.

We don't use pagers anymore - everybody that works at the hospital has a cell phone instead and there's a cell site right in the hospital. Very convenient, but an IP phone would be even better, and an IP phone/cellphone combo even better.

M-Funf
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
The biggest advantage to these so-called smart phones IMHO is calendar syncing. My secretaries can add things to my calendar from their own Outlook account and organize my day, and my Motorola Q dials up the Exchange server 4 or 5 times per day and syncs itself with those calendar additions.

This is the reason I got the Treo with Good Link. I'm connected to our Exchange server, and it updates faster than my desktop e-mail.

Contacts, calendar entries, meeting requests are all updated instantly, and everything is synche'd, so I don't have to remember to sync a device with my desktop machine, etc.

I really like having a multi-use device. I used to travel with a PDA, a Laptop, and a cell phone that all operated independently and didn't speak to each other well. Now I've just got the Treo. It's not perfect, but for ME it's a best solution.