PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter replacement

jayderwin1
02-16-2005, 10:25 AM
i have a 86 ps190 and i think its about time to replace the fuel filter and water seperator

so my question, is the fuel filter and the water sperator the same part and what kind is a good one for a 351 PCM motor?

MarkP
02-16-2005, 10:38 AM
J

Not sure what one your year takes but if you call DIM will fix you up

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1063

MarkP
02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
J,

Did you call them? I hope it helped.

Now, if I can hijack your thread a while. In my owners manual I am told to, among other things, clean fuel tank pick-up, (100hrs). I plan to do that this spring along with the tune up and filter changes. In the manual it makes no mention of a gasket or rubber seal. Should I have one on hand when I take this thing apart?

Lance
02-17-2005, 05:10 PM
I also recommend SKIDIM or Rambo marine. Speaking for the '87 Prostar 190 with Indmar 351 I know the fuel separator looks exactly like the one in the upper left corner of the SKIDIM post that MarkP provided and the filter that hangs below the fuel pump (which is located on the front left [when viewed from the rear of the boat] part of the engine) looks exactly like the picture below it in the post. I believe the '86 was the first year for the Indmar so I would guess these are the two you need.

I generally don't replace the fuel separator every year but I do replace the filter for whatever that is worth. I guess I have not looked in the manual to see what they recommend.

If you chose to go to another source I believe the fuel filter is referred to as a Carter 3?? element.

Lance

jayderwin1
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info Lance i was thinking it was the one in the upper left corner too but i was not sure. i almost bought a 85 MC S&S from Rambo Marine in Alabama but they wanted about the same price as the 86 i bought and the 86 i bought was in 10 times better shape than the 85 i almost got. i guess any time you buy from a dealer it will be more expensive.