PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Tower setup

rstitson
06-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I have no experience with wakeboard towers. When we demoed a x-15 I noticed no tower shake but the water was pretty calm. When we have moderately rough waters our current tower (2007 x-15) shakes quite noticeably at speeds above low twenties (not loaded). It is especially noticiable when the boat is rolling sideways. I can actually see movement at the front isolation mounts. It may be getting worse, noticeable at lower and lower speeds with greater movement. Unfortunately my dealer is 3 hours round trip away and really doesn't seem to know much about it, as they made one attemp to tighten up some bolts in one place, but that's it. Not blaming them as I have not been adamant about my concern. I am looking for anyone that knows just how the tower is supposed to function and how much movement is normal. I am concerned that given too much movement at the mount it might snap the bolts and it certainly impacts my willingness to drive at higher speeds in moderate chop. I am also looking for feedback from owners where their tower is very stable as that would tell me I should be concerned. I like the fact the there are mounting blocks that isolate the hull from stresses applied by tower vibration. I am just thinking mine is too loose and there is something I could do about it.

Maristar210
06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I have no experience with wakeboard towers. When we demoed a x-15 I noticed no tower shake but the water was pretty calm. When we have moderately rough waters our current tower (2007 x-15) shakes quite noticeably at speeds above low twenties (not loaded). It is especially noticiable when the boat is rolling sideways. I can actually see movement at the front isolation mounts. It may be getting worse, noticeable at lower and lower speeds with greater movement. Unfortunately my dealer is 3 hours round trip away and really doesn't seem to know much about it, as they made one attemp to tighten up some bolts in one place, but that's it. Not blaming them as I have not been adamant about my concern. I am looking for anyone that knows just how the tower is supposed to function and how much movement is normal. I am concerned that given too much movement at the mount it might snap the bolts and it certainly impacts my willingness to drive at higher speeds in moderate chop. I am also looking for feedback from owners where their tower is very stable as that would tell me I should be concerned. I like the fact the there are mounting blocks that isolate the hull from stresses applied by tower vibration. I am just thinking mine is too loose and there is something I could do about it.

I tightened mine myself corner to corner to put torque on tower from left rear to right front and right rear to left front. Loosening them and retightening them made the difference for me. Mine nowhas none of the shake and squak it once did. Best of luck to you :D

2RLAKE
06-29-2007, 07:36 PM
i have a new X14 and the newer towers do flex some ... the flat portion of the rear leg do not have as much torsional stiffness as round tubes ... its been 20 years since i graduated from engineering so i;m sure there is a better technical description. My hasn't loosened in 50 hours ... including lots of barefooting from the tower including a half dozen flyers from about 18'. The shear stregth of the bolts will never be an issue ... 1/2 stainless steel are somewhere north of 100,000 psi shear strength

rstitson
06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback.... will try loosening and tightening myself.

rstitson
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
More information to those that might have issues like mine. I could see the tower lifting from the front above the mount plate right at the isolation ring top gasket. I used alan wrench to test the three set screws holding the ring on both sides. I found these to be very loose so I took them out and reset them finding in the process that the receiving holes where the set portion seats have some slack so that all of them need to be tight to have a firm mount. More important, i found out that once the set screws are in place the whole ring can rotate and tighten the tower up against the top isolation gasket. When loose at all you can move the tower up and down by hand. This was my major problem as I could see the tower jiggle at that point from the drivers seat. When under load, pulling the pressure kept it tight but you could see a slight gap between the neoprene ring and the unit that attaches the tower proper to it's mounting bracket. I will be bringing tools with me from now on to fix as needed. Those are really the things that mastercraft should cover in a manual and the dealer should educate us about.

erkoehler
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
There is a "custom" tool that is used to tighten the towers, we were told specifically NOT to tighten the allens.

Your dealer should have the tool used to tighten the tower.

mark-dalton@sbcglobal.net
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
There is a "custom" tool that is used to tighten the towers, we were told specifically NOT to tighten the allens.

Your dealer should have the tool used to tighten the tower.

Spanner wrench. Is the tool described. The spanner nut is what rotates at the base of the front legs port and starboard. From the bow looking aft turn the spanner nut clockwise until you have a little resistance but not extremely tight. If you don't have the wrench use a large diameter punch that will fit snug in the holes around and next to the allen set screw, then set the allen screws or you can count on retightening the spanner nut.