PDA

View Full Version : Clincher gloves w/ dowel ????

91ps190
06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Any one use these gloves? They advertise them as having doweling near the finger tips that puts the pull to your wrist and not the fingers so much. Do they work? Do you attach them to the handle - are you stuck to the handle if you wipe out? It's not real clear how they work. Trying to aleviate the blisters and sore calisis that I normally get. Thanks.

dmayer84
06-28-2007, 10:19 PM
There used to be a pair in the family. There is a strap that runs from the wrist up to the tips that is shorter than the fingers extended and the dowel is at the tips.

http://www.waterskiworld.com/gloves/Clincher_gloves/a_clincherglove.jpg

softailcowboy
06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
have a pair, have used a few other pairs. I must say I'm not real wild about them. they are "strange". doesn't seem like you get the handle in your palm for a tight grip. I find that I'm holding the rope basically on my finger tips. I try them occasionally throughout the year to see if they make any difference. As a note you never see a pro skier using them. but for me it seems the pull out of the water is better?

rspiecha
06-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I love them. It is a different feeling from standard gloves, but it can pull my overweight posterior out of the water.

Rob

91ps190
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I fianlly broke down and bought a pair to try. They are great-different feel for sure-but work great. My hands love me for it!!!

Hoosier Bob
08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
When tired or very early in the season I will wear a pair. Yes different! I had a pair when they forst came out (I was 24) and I did not like them. They do help with the feeling that you are about to lose every callus (spelling?) on your hand.:D

tex
08-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Gloves-No! Clinchers-He!! no!

Hoosier Bob
08-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Tex, No gloves when you slalom or just when you do that p**** arse other carp?8p

tex
08-03-2007, 12:57 AM
A.Jump
B.Foil
C.Show Ski
D.Slalom
E.Wakeboard
F.Barefoot
G.Wakeskate
H.Wakesurf
I.Mix Martinis
J.Sex
K.None of the above

Answer-K.:cool:

Hoosier Bob
08-03-2007, 12:58 AM
I get the no glove rule for jump but sex? What are you think'in man?:o A.Jump
B.Foil
C.Show Ski
D.Slalom
E.Wakeboard
F.Barefoot
G.Wakeskate
H.Wakesurf
I.Mix Martinis
J.Sex
K.None of the above

Answer-K.:cool:

tex
08-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Married to the same beautiful woman for the past 9 years(we celebrated yesterday). Don't need to worry about it. Before-Never stepped into the batter's box w/o!

Hoosier Bob
08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
So why does she make me wear one?:confused: Married to the same beautiful woman for the past 9 years(we celebrated yesterday). Don't need to worry about it. Before-Never stepped into the batter's box w/o!

tex
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
She just wants to protect me!

Hoosier Bob
08-03-2007, 01:15 AM
That's funny I do not care who you are! You are my HERO TEX!:D :worthy: She just wants to protect me!

rodltg2
08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
i used to wear them , took a bit to get used to. especially when grabbing back onto the handle after the release. took a fall once and almost ripped my hand off. never used them again.

WAT8415
08-03-2007, 03:22 AM
You talking about Clincher's or Trojan's Rod?

Ric
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Good Thread Good Thread! The Bob and Tex show!

I too used the clinchers for a couple of years and had to ween myself off of them. They do have a dowel that runs across at the fingertips and the strap basically keeps your fingers curved and won't allow them to straighten out while the clinchers are on your hands.

I realized I was using them as a crutch, but not til after I realized that I was missing a few buoys from fooling with the dowel gettin caught in the handle on a realease or when I came around and tried to grab the handle again...

I know now that I'm not smart enough to be forced to think about my gloves for even a split second whilst running the course.

sizzler
08-03-2007, 09:46 AM
i dont use gloves for footin or slalom....never could afford them as a youngster....never found the need for them now...

each to their own :cool:

#47of100TeamMC
08-03-2007, 10:13 AM
You'll find that some barefooter's use them especially when Barefoot jumping.

Some don't like them for slalom, as they have trouble letting go for the reach. I have 2 pairs of Clinchers and I use them for early season skiing.

If you get Waterski Magazine... check out Marcus Brown on the cover. Take Notice of what glove he wears on his Right hand...

sizzler
08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I've jumped barefoot before(twice,hahah)never needed them..dont think i landed them either..:D

as i said..each to their own....

Jkelly
08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't wear gloves either. I could never get use to them. I would always end up with a cramps in my hands. A friend said I was holding on to tight.

#47of100TeamMC
08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't wear gloves either. I could never get use to them. I would always end up with a cramps in my hands. A friend said I was holding on to tight.

That's the reason for the clinchers. you don't have to grip at all, just close your hands and the dowel "clinches" the handle.:rolleyes:

tex
08-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I know guys who use them for BF jumping too. I just a 6 pack when I went over the BF jump. For the record Sizzler-I skied my first one off. Hit my ars on the jump but made it. I did get so excited that I threw a tumble for the chicks in the boat and my helmet caught the water and I did about 4 backhandsprings. Ripped my helmet off and the chinstrap cut my nose open. It was funny but I did ski it off! No gloves!

sizzler
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
good skills tex,good skills......

a few martinis to celebrate afterwards???

slight threadjack::::: been getting back into ski-jumping lately...its like a new drug ,all over again.....

tex
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
good skills tex,good skills......

a few martinis to celebrate afterwards???

slight threadjack::::: been getting back into ski-jumping lately...its like a new drug ,all over again.....
Not wanting to rush out and do it again...I have taken a couple of sets. So you are strapping on the planks and hitting the big wedge again! Great to hear!

pilot02
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=softailcowboy]I find that I'm holding the rope basically on my finger tips.QUOTE]

That's exactly where you should be holding the handle. Holding it in the palms is why people develop blisters in the first place.

jbfootin
08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I had some friends that were gymnast, and they have a similar thing they use when on the high bar. It straps around the wrist and goes to your ring and middle finger and has a dowel behind it, and it helps them hold on the bar as they swing around it.

I have a pair of clinchers, and they do feel weird but they do work. You can relax your hands and the rope stays in your hands.

Jkelly
08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
That's the reason for the clinchers. you don't have to grip at all, just close your hands and the dowel "clinches" the handle.:rolleyes:

With the gloves I tried it felt like the handle was slipping out of my hand so I keep griping it tighter and tighter in stead of using my fingers to hold on.
I had never heard of Clinchers until today.

#47of100TeamMC
08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
With the gloves I tried it felt like the handle was slipping out of my hand so I keep griping it tighter and tighter in stead of using my fingers to hold on.
I had never heard of Clinchers until today.

I think the clincher's is where I learned to hold the handle with my fingertips. because they don't really do much good if you hold the handle in your palms. Give them a try if you find a pair to use. you might get hooked.

Jkelly
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I will have to do that. Who make them?

JohnnyB
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I wear gloves for slalom, but really do not like to foot with gloves. Slalom turns seem to tax my hands and forearms where footin' does not.

You may want to look at the HO Clutch Glove. Its a similar concept with the dowel, but the strap is supposedly inside the glove.