PDA

View Full Version : suggestions - painting a Skylon

kingu
06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
I bought a used Skylon from Jim at BAWS (thanks Jim). The Skylon is blue and my boat is white, black and grey. I'm afraid regular old spraypaint would chip off. I checked into getting it sprayed with black "Line-X" (the spray on bedliner stuff) but they wanted $175 to spray it...so much for saving money by buying a used one.

Any alternate ideas? Thanks!

Sodar
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I bought a used Skylon from Jim at BAWS (thanks Jim). The Skylon is blue and my boat is white, black and grey. I'm afraid regular old spraypaint would chip off. I checked into getting it sprayed with black "Line-X" (the spray on bedliner stuff) but they wanted $175 to spray it...so much for saving money by buying a used one.

Any alternate ideas? Thanks!

Get it powder coated!! I actually shortened mine and did some customization to it and I just had the local powder-coater do it for $25. White is very common, so they can throw it in with a large batch and cut the price do substantially! Good Luck!

kingu
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Get it powder coated!! I actually shortened mine and did some customization to it and I just had the local powder-coater do it for $25. White is very common, so they can throw it in with a large batch and cut the price do substantially! Good Luck!

I'm not familiar with how they do powder coating. Would it have to be sand blasted? Or can they powder coat over the existing powdercoat / paint?

Sodar
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm not familiar with how they do powder coating. Would it have to be sand blasted? Or can they powder coat over the existing powdercoat / paint?

They will sandblast it there, prior to coating...

endl
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, powder coating is the only way to go. You will get a tougher and better finish.

RexDog1
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM

Man, the boy is so smart!!!!!! :D

Powder coating is the only way I would go:twocents:

TMCNo1
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
This site has a explaination of what powdercoating is and how it works, enjoy, http://www.uniquecoatings.com/

kingu
06-29-2007, 04:16 PM
thanks for all the info! sounds like a good winter project.