PDA

View Full Version : powerslot tran

markb
06-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Here's one for any transmission tech's. I've got a 1988 Pro Star, 351 cu and the Power Slot transmission. I have been the sole owner since day one and have kept this baby in excellent shape. Here's the issue, when I shift from neutral to forward OR reverse there is always a "clunk noise". If I slowly ease into gear there is no problem but if I make a simple, normal shift I get that noise. The boat has always performed great. Could there be air in the lines? Tranny not broken in? The engine has under 700 hours and is 19 years old. There you have it.

Markb

east tx skier
06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Welcome. BUMP for your post.

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? What is the idle rpm?

markb
06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Transmission fluid has been changed on a regular basis. I put less then 45 hrs on each year and the idle is set between 600-900. It has always made this noise for some reason.

east tx skier
06-29-2007, 10:11 AM
On the newer boats with the pslot and vdrives, they started recommending 15W40 instead of dexron III for the transmission to relieve some transmission noise. Not sure if that's the same issue, but might be worth looking into.

Chicago190
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
On the newer boats with the pslot and vdrives, they started recommending 15W40 instead of dexron III for the transmission to relieve some transmission noise. Not sure if that's the same issue, but might be worth looking into.

I thought they switched because of an idle rattle, not a rough/loud engagement.

east tx skier
06-29-2007, 05:21 PM
That's probably right. I don't think he's getting the rattle from the clutch pack going. The kerplunk seems differnt.

markb
06-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Forgive me for taking so long to get back. I'm new at this "threads" posting stuff. To give you an idea as to the "thump" it makes think of a sock filled with wet sand and dropping it from about chest high onto the floor of the boat. Thats the sound it makes if engage the shifter in a normal fashion forward or reverse. If I slowly ease it into gear it makes a whining sound but goes in very smooth. There has never been any grinding sound in 19 years. Would the breather cap on the tranmission have any role in this?