PDA

View Full Version : the small things

JEREMY79
02-15-2005, 12:58 PM
This is long but it is worth the time to read. Being a rabbit hunter and beagle owner. I cannot imagine not being able to hunt.

The Small Things
by SGT. Eric Moore
Tikrit Iraq
taken from Field & Stream

We often dont appreciate the small things in life until they are gone. A cold autom day, an early morning on a silvery pond-they hide in the recesses of our minds until a certain smell,sound or sight brings them back again.
I was in my early teens when I brought a little black beagle home form a tractor show down the road from our farm. The pup had been with its littermates in a box marked FREE. I reached into the squirming mass of fuzz and picked one up. Her puppy eyes said take me home. So I wrapped her in my jjacket and away we went. Rabbit dog. I was thinking.
"Look what I have!" I said when I stepped into the house. My mother nearly choked. "Not another dog!" But my parents talked and eventually allowed me to keep the pup as long as I cared for her myself. She was a bundle of energy and had a unique bark that sounded as though she were baying the word coal.
In the field Coal learned to trail but never barked at the rabbits, so I attached a little cow bell to her collar to keep track of her. My father was not overly excited about my new dog. He called her the "silent trailer" adn almost never took her out to hunt.
Coal, along with most of the fishing and hunting I did, took a backseat when I went away to college a few years later. But one cold day I decided to take a trip home for the weekend. I arrived in the late afternoon just in time to see my dad gearing up in his old coveralls and orange knit cap.
"You know, litte Coal has become quite the hunter, she even barks at rabbits now" he said. "Want to go?"
I was tired but agreed and in no time, the exictement began to build. I opened the gun sage and pulled out my Savage. Worn but still operable. I thought this gun has put many rabbits on the table. It brought back memories of past hunts and those who carried it before me.
My dad and I went outside and released Coal and Buttons, one of our other beagles. Together they were the miricle pair. They streaked for the upper end of out properthy while dad and I asceded on the hill behind them. The weather was bitter cold, and a slow, steady snowfall added to the layers already on the ground. As we trugded into a thicket halfway up the hill, the dogs began to bark, picking up a fresh trail. Buttons usually barked first then Coal would take the lead.
As the sun began to set behind the ridgeline, I saw our quarry hopping trough the brush. Our house was down the hill and in the line of fire, so instead of shooting I simply watched as the rabbit paused for a second, then hurried off.
Night fell along with the snow, and we unloaded our guns. I wrapped my rabbit fur hat tighter around my face and looked over at my dad, standing proud and strong as I have always known him. The sound of the dogs echoed through the night. In the walley below a warm glow came from a window, and smoke rose from the chimney of our house.
"Let them run" Dad said, and we began walking home. Inside we shed our cold, wet clothes, and sat by the fireplace, and enjoyed some hot chocolate as we cleaned our guns.
As I write this I am not at home doing the things I love. I am manning the .50 caliber machine gun atop a six-wheel-drive tactical truck. Working on combat radios, and hauling a 5,000 gallon fuel tanker acroos the dangerous roads of Iraq. Many others have also given up freedoms and learned the hard way not to take the small things for granted: the chance to walk mountain trails, to smell the resh air, to pick up a bow or a fishing rod and head outside. Many of us will experinces these everyday things again. But some never will. For their sake , dont forget the small things.

ktn_cmu
02-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Very Nice!

JEREMY79
02-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Thank you. I read that at lunch and thought it was very well put.

Mag_Red
02-15-2005, 02:28 PM
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/patriot.gif

jayderwin1
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Very good story

rem_p
02-15-2005, 07:09 PM
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/patriot.gif
good story...somebody needs to get us this flag face.

JEREMY79
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree we need that little flag guy. I felt bad about posting something so long. But I thought it was nice.

Professor
02-15-2005, 08:41 PM
I agree we need that little flag guy. I felt bad about posting something so long. But I thought it was nice.
Excellent post. I have several friends and family in Iraq & Afgan. We think of you guys everyday!

jimmer2880
02-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Excellent post.

On the topic of being patriotic... I have been hearing the country song "on the back of my SUV" much more lately.... Glad they're putting it on the air more again.

MarkP
02-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Nice stuff Jeremy

captkidd
02-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Excellent post.

On the topic of being patriotic... I have been hearing the country song "on the back of my SUV" much more lately.... Glad they're putting it on the air more again.
If we're talking about the same song (the one by Chely Wright), I heard her being interviewed on the radio about the song. It's a true story about a lady who shot her the bird and screamed some obscenities at her because of the "Semper Fidelis" bumper sticker on her SUV (Chely's brother is a Marine).

jimmer2880
02-21-2005, 06:27 AM
If we're talking about the same song (the one by Chely Wright), I heard her being interviewed on the radio about the song. It's a true story about a lady who shot her the bird and screamed some obscenities at her because of the "Semper Fidelis" bumper sticker on her SUV (Chely's brother is a Marine).

That's the one. I'm glad it's finally getting more air time.