PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt

Willski
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Anyone changed one on a Silverado with the 5.3? Shouldn't be too hard right?

trickskier
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Anyone changed one on a Silverado with the 5.3? Shouldn't be too hard right?
I've changed them on my Suburban & Tahoe..............You'll need a 3/8 drive pull bar or ratchet for the tensioner to take pressure off the belt. Take a good look at how it comes off.......There should be a schematic decal on you fan shroud.

chevy08bud
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Try to use a ratchet on the tensioner if you can, it moves a lot and you will need to reposition the ratchet handle in order to pull the tensioner all the way over to get the belt off. I take the air intake hose off my avalanche to get to everyting a little easier.

Willski
06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Yep. I already noted the decal. Do you actually have to loosen bolts to remove the tension, or is it a spring tensioner that you have to pry back?

trickskier
06-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Yep. I already noted the decal. Do you actually have to loosen bolts to remove the tension, or is it a spring tensioner that you have to pry back?
Do not loosen the bolts.............There should be a square slot on the side of the tensioner to put the ratchet in.............Then either push or pull to take the tension off the belt..............My Suburban has 2 belts one for the A/C then one large one for the rest.

Willski
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I see...I was wondering about the 2 belt thing too. I thought my decal showed a single belt for my truck, but I can't be sure.

trickskier
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I see...I was wondering about the 2 belt thing too. I thought my decal showed a single belt for my truck, but I can't be sure.
If you have 2, I would change both of them.........You have to take the big one off first...............If you have a set of ramps, I found it easier to change the A/C belt from underneath............It will have a tensioner as well.

Willski
06-29-2007, 12:02 AM
If you have 2, I would change both of them.........You have to take the big one off first...............If you have a set of ramps, I found it easier to change the A/C belt from underneath............It will have a tensioner as well.

Changed the serpentine this evening after work. Not difficult, but complicated by the way the belts are stored (kinked), and the fact that I don't have 2 elbows and tiny hands! Not bad though. I actually didn't change the AC belt yet, but I have it. I suppose you can change it from the top, but like you said, easier from the bottom.

Thanks for the info.

Willski
06-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Re-reading that, I guess I do have 2 elbows, but for that job, it would be best if both elbows were on the same arm.!!!

milkmania
06-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Changed the serpentine this evening after work. Not difficult, but complicated by the way the belts are stored (kinked), and the fact that I don't have 2 elbows and tiny hands! Not bad though. I actually didn't change the AC belt yet, but I have it. I suppose you can change it from the top, but like you said, easier from the bottom.

Thanks for the info.

you don't have two elbows:confused:

this I gotta see!

just messing with ya;)
(and working on my post count)

milkmania
06-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Re-reading that, I guess I do have 2 elbows, but for that job, it would be best if both elbows were on the same arm.!!!

beat me to it:rant:

8p

Willski
06-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Gotta be quick here. You ba**ards are like vultures. Make one false move and you've had it.

milkmania
06-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Gotta be quick here. You ba**ards are like vultures. Make one false move and you've had it.

I just love all these other threads titled.....

Opinions wanted

man, sometimes it's really hard to walk away:uglyhamme