PDA

View Full Version : Amps/speakers

gmille39
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
First off, I know almost nothing about Amps and sound systems. Before I bought my X9 they installed a Cadence FX104 amp and it has the stock (4) Clarion speakers in front and back and the sub under the dash. I installed two Polk Audio MOMO's on the tower, for which I'm told I now need a 2 channel to run alongside the 4 channel in order to power the six speakers and sub. If I get just the 2 channel amp, will I be able to install two more speakers on the tower, or should I really get another 4 channel amp.

Also, where's a good place to mount the second amp? I wask thinking further up in the bow but I haven't checked out that area yet.

Also, at what point do I need to start thinking about a second battery? When I decide to get lights for the tower?

2RLAKE
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I had the same setup in my 197 and X9 ... I ran three amps. I had two clarion 2 channel amps for the bow (2 speakers) and cockpit (4 speakers) then a rockford fosgate 800W 4 channel for the 4 tower speakers. I split the radio's output lines several times in order to make it all work. There is room there for all the amps, it will just take a little time to get it all wired. I had the tower amps on all the time, then installed two switches just above the ballast fill switches to turn on/off the power to the two clarion amps ... that way i could control the volume in the boat for the kids.

JBaker
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
You could run 3 amps, but to answer your question, you could power 4 cockpit speakers, 1 sub and 4 tower speakers off your 4-channel plus another 2-channel. Any aditional amps/amp channels would just be extra power and clarity.

gmille39
06-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks. Three amps and everything sounds cool but I think that might be a little overkill for what I need. The installer at best buy showed me a 2 channel Rockford Fosgate they have on clearance for $99 along with all the Y adapters and cables, so I will probably just install the 2 channel. Eventually I'll work up to two more tower speakers since this should handle them. Next I need to upgrade the stock bow and cockpit speakers.

Thanks guys for your help. When everyone starts talking crossovers, ohms, impedence, and all that, I get pretty lost.