PDA

View Full Version : 02 X30 gas problem

tagassociates
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Last night i was running accross the lake and my boat sputtered to a stop like out of gas. The guage showed 1/4 tank. I got ahold of 5 gal of gas on the lake, but will not start. It sputters for a second then dies. Had to be towed in.

Is there anything I should do? Any thoughts? HELP!

It appears that i am not getting current to the fuel pump. I changed the relay with one of the others and still no power to the pump.

Is there any fuses? Any other ideas would be appreciated!!

chevy08bud
06-27-2007, 09:45 AM
When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? I believe that in your boat, the fuel pump is in the tank, so you shouldn't be having a priming problem as long as the fuel pump is running, and you have enough gas to completely cover the pickup in the tank.

tagassociates
06-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I will go and see if the pump is running when the ignition is on. Do you know if there is a filter for the fuel?

chevy08bud
06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
There is a fuel filter, my boat is a few years older than yours though, so hopefully someone will chime in with a location. When you test to see if the pump is running, just turn the key to the run position, don't crank it or you won't be able to hear the pump run if it is.

bigmac
06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Last night i was running accross the lake and my boat sputtered to a stop like out of gas. The guage showed 1/4 tank. I got ahold of 5 gal of gas on the lake, but will not start. It sputters for a second then dies. Had to be towed in.

Is there anything I should do? Any thoughts? HELP!My bet would be fuel pump, maybe the fuel filter. I'm not sure about your boat, but later models have a Schrader valve on the fuel rail so that you can check fuel pressure.

MasterCraft in-tank fuel pumps are kind of unique in that they only filter about the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank. Once it gets below that level, the fuel is filtered, possibly impairing flow to the pump if the filter is plugged. That fuel flow is what cools it. The problem is that with fuel flow blocked or impaired, the pump's impeller fries and the fuel pump is done. As it breathes its last gasp, it produced symptoms exactly as you describe.

Having said that, I'm not actually sure that your 2002 uses this rather problematic in-tank electric fuel pump design. But I think it does.

tagassociates
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
With the ignition on there is no noise or vibration from the fuel pump.

tagassociates
06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
With the ignition on there is no noise or vibration from the pump. Sounds like the pump might be gone!!

Chicago190
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
If you want to test it further you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and when you turn the key (not cranking) the fuel pressure should go up to around 30 PSI and then hold.

wiltok
06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
If you take off the flame arrestor - you should see the injectors pulsing fuel down into the engine. I don't recommend it necessarily (I suppose it could be dangerous), but it's easy to see.