PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank ventilation?

Boogieman
06-27-2007, 04:42 AM
I'm owning a '97 ProStar 205 . . and have problems filling it up.
I can put in half a Gallon with no problem .. but suddenly a burst of fuel and air comes back up . . even if the tank is empty . . it takes forever to fill it up . .

any ideas?

thanks

bigmac
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm owning a '97 ProStar 205 . . and have problems filling it up.
I can put in half a Gallon with no problem .. but suddenly a burst of fuel and air comes back up . . even if the tank is empty . . it takes forever to fill it up . .

any ideas?

thanksMy boat will sometimes do that too. I've found that occasionally I have to change the angle of the nozzle to keep it from happening - either put it farther into the filler neck, or sometimes shallower, sometimes just set it to fill slower.

trunderw
06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
i have to do the same thing on my 87 prostar. if i point the nozzle to the port or starboard it works fine but towards the transom and i'm making a mess...

BIGBADBLUE
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
What works for me on my '94 is to hold the nozzle out farther. I actually hold the nozzle up out of the fill hose. This is a pain but it allows me to fill it in less that 30 minutes.

Maristar210
06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree with Blue. I hold the nozzle out further to allow the air in the tank to escape while filling. You do have to go very slow though, especially at the end. I have witnessed my nephew being covered gas from a back "gush" if you will. It is not fun and it is very dangerous. Be carefull, its fuel your dealing with, remember.

Steve

chudson
06-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know what it looks like looking down through the filler hole, is there an angle or does it go straight down? An angle or elbow would explain the backlash! :twocents:

chevy08bud
06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
On my 94 it is a straight shot and I still have to go slow at it.

mayo93prostar
06-27-2007, 10:43 AM
boogieman, check your fuel vent line. there should be a hose coming out of the top of the tank over to the opposite side from the filler that connects to a chrome vent on the back of the boat that lets the air escape when filling. We used to watch this vent for overflow when filling. I have a 93 prostar that has this vent. not sure if newer boats have it. this vent may be plugged.

east tx skier
06-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I always look at my gas guage before I start to fill up and figure out how much I would need to top off the tank. Then, I put one less gallon than that in the boat. This has been a close to flawless method for avoiding the spew.

Skidim sells a product that is supposed to prevent this (it is installed on the fuel fill hose I believe). I've not heard from anyone whether this has been effective though.

I've also heard of people looping the fill line, but no word on results.

My method is cheap and pretty effective if you don't need every last space of the tank filled. If you do, then go slow in that last gallon and listen for the sound/pitch of the fuel going into the tank to increase (like filling a bottle with water). When the pitch goes up ... STOP! :)

Jkelly
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the same problem with my 04 197. I have been using 5 gallon can to for the bulk of the fill then I have a 2 1/2 gallon can I use to top it off. Its a pain in the a$$ but i have better control and don't in up with my rear seat, hatch and myself covered in gas.

chevy08bud
06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
One thing that we do when filling with 5gal tanks on the dock is have a clear tube connected to one of the filler spouts and just use that spout with all of the gas tanks. You can keep the gas tank on the dock and just have someone tip it over while the other holds the hose in the gas tank of the boat. It works really well and makes for easier work because you don't have to control the whole 5gal tank. If you see that you are getting close, and need to stop pouring, you can just pinch off the hose and tilt the gas can back upright.

bigmac
06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I always look at my gas guage before I start to fill up and figure out how much I would need to top off the tank. Then, I put one less gallon than that in the boat. This has been a close to flawless method for avoiding the spew.

Skidim sells a product that is supposed to prevent this (it is installed on the fuel fill hose I believe). I've not heard from anyone whether this has been effective though.

I've also heard of people looping the fill line, but no word on results.

My method is cheap and pretty effective if you don't need every last space of the tank filled. If you do, then go slow in that last gallon and listen for the sound/pitch of the fuel going into the tank to increase (like filling a bottle with water). When the pitch goes up ... STOP! :)I interpret the OP's problem as being inability to sustain any flow into the filler neck for more than about 1/2 gallon, at which time there is sudden back flow of air and fuel back out the filler. Then, he can go another 1/2 gallon of flow before it happens again. Ad nauseum until the tank is finally full. That happens to me too, unless I readjust the angle/depth of the hose nozzle in the filler neck. That's a different problem than the usual burst of fuel backflow when the tank reaches "full".

I suspect that the recurrent back flow problem that the OP mentions AND the "spew" problem you mention is a problem with tank venting method and size of filler neck. It's pretty common for boats to do this, something we all have come to accept as one of the foibles of boat ownership but interestingly something that we would NEVER accept if our cars/truck (which generally cost half as much as our boats) did this. I suspect that it's an inconvenience that boat manufacturers have accepted on our behalf.

JLeuck64
06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
I heard once if you try using a couple of cow magnets on the fuel line it helps to align the fuel molecules. Maybe this would help when refueling also...

Just kidding, I feel your pain man.

I live in a state that has automatic settings on the gas pump nozzles so I can set it on a slow feed and walk away to wash the windshield or something.

wakolman
06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I have the same problem on the 05 197TT. I pump gas at an EXTREMELY slow pace to try and avoid the gas from overflowing. It comes out the top with no warning, and the pump won't detect when the tank is full like it does filling a car. It is frustrating.

2RLAKE
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds like we all have the same issue .. very slow filling. I faced the handle towards the rear on my 197 and X9 and filled very slowly. The gas vent tees back into the fill line so that fuel doesn't spill out into the lake, as boats used to be vented. Luckily, the fuel design weenie corrected this on the '07 models by having dual fills on the port and starboard sides ... simpy crack open the filler cap on the opposite side and fill away

uawaterskier
06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
its not just a MC thing...my boat does it as well. Its very frustrating