PDA

View Full Version : motor wont start now

Chaser_rct
06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
So i am just about finished with my project and i finally got the motor started today...it ran fine for about a minute or two then died...the key wont start the boat for some reason so i crossed it over at the solenoid...replaced with a new one by the way.....is there a kill switch on a 81 stars and stripes??

WilliM1940
06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
No, not stock anyway. There is a neutral safety switch on the transmission which will not allow ignition unless the throttle is in neutral. I have heard that these may go bad and may require wiggle of the throttle handle.

wesgardner
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
You can jump out the neutral safety switch for a test - then replace as required...

Chaser_rct
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
how do i jump it out?? sorry but i know jack sh** about motors...should the transmission still be turning when your trying to start it?? i have my cables unhooked because i have redone the stringers.

Hunterb
06-27-2007, 12:43 PM
The neutral start switch is on the drivers side of the transmission and has two terminals which should have white wires attached to them. To eliminate the switch just take the wire off one side and attach it to the other so you have both wires on one side.

When you say the key won't start the boat you do mean that it is not turning over, correct?

Bruce

Chaser_rct
06-27-2007, 01:59 PM
yea when i turn the key the gauges light up and they flicker but when i turn it to start the motor nothing happens...no clicking nothing! :confused: the only way i can get it to start is if i take a screwdriver and cross over the solenoid.

wesgardner
06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey Chaser,

If you've redone your stringers, there's a good chance you accidentely bumped the transmission into gear, thus activating the neutral safety switch, no biggie - you can just shift it back into neutral by hand. If that doesn't work, try jumping out the neutral switch...in theory, the trans. doesn't turn if it's in neutral although I've seen them turn slowly even when in neutral....

Prostar Rich
06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Very good point. I had this happen to me and could not get the boat to turn over. Turned out that while I was working on the boat the trans accidentally got bumped into gear. Make sure that you check this out. It very well could be your problem.

Good luck,
Prostar Rich

Hey Chaser,

If you've redone your stringers, there's a good chance you accidentely bumped the transmission into gear, thus activating the neutral safety switch, no biggie - you can just shift it back into neutral by hand. If that doesn't work, try jumping out the neutral switch...in theory, the trans. doesn't turn if it's in neutral although I've seen them turn slowly even when in neutral....

Chaser_rct
06-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Well i finally got it started today it seems that there is a wire missing somewhere because when i run a jumper wire from the hot on the battery to the back of the ignition the motor will finally start but the key still wont start it...im gettin frustrated!

bowtie355
07-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Well i finally got it started today it seems that there is a wire missing somewhere because when i run a jumper wire from the hot on the battery to the back of the ignition the motor will finally start but the key still wont start it...im gettin frustrated!

The "S" connection on the starting relay is connected to the start part of the ignition switch. If there is voltage at the "S" terminal with the ignition switch in start, then the relay is bad. You can verify this jumping across the 2 large cables on each side of the starting relay.
Make sure the lead wire feeding the ignition switch with 12 VDC is there as well.
Here's the schematic:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=23767&stc=1&d=1183072596

RedStar
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I had the same thing happen, then it mysteriously started and ran fine. Good luck.